1. inbound6030363725657617294.jpg

LabDaddy1

Is that a green sunfish on the bottom?

cass

Rock bass

Coletrain27

wow, those are some nice sunnies! waytogo

LabDaddy1

Pug, I think we need your identification skills here…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definite rock bass. Aka rough fish

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah, rock bass 100%

Ripjiggen

Thanks for the laugh Labdaddy. rotflol

Never actually tried rock bass because my family doesn’t think they taste good. Can anyone second this?

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

Tried it once. Not bad in flavor but a bit mushy in texture. It was edible but I will stick to gills and crappie.

brewerybuilder

They are related to sunfish AND taste almost exact. I pan fry my sunnies so no heavy oil deep fry taste. The fish flavor really comes out and no one can ever tell the difference even when I ask them to ID the rock.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This comes from a guy that was raised to hate rockbass… I was told they were, “mushy” “wormy” and so on… we threw everyone away.

I’ve found those comments to be 100% wrong in my experience. The meat is just like a big bluegill. I’m very picky too… very!

I have a long standing bet with my clients. If they can tell the difference between a bluegill and rockbass, they get my Ranger boat… and I still have my Ranger.

In my estimate I’ve cleaned over 1000 rock bass the past few years. EVERYONE has been very impressed with the rockbass. The flavor and texture is just like a big gill. I’d say 100% of my clients say they’re the same as a bluegill and about 90% say fully as good as the walleye.

As picky as I am I’d take a rockbass over a restaurant walleye 100% of the time no questions asked. Give them a try and you’ll be very impressed.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

They are related to sunfish AND taste almost exact. I pan fry my sunnies so no heavy oil deep fry taste. The fish flavor really comes out and no one can ever tell the difference even when I ask them to ID the rock.

X2

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Joe, I’m in need of a boat….. What are the exact stipulations of this challenge? jester
    I agree they taste just fine. Particular lakes have more to do with fish flavor than fish themselves, sometimes.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

That’s good to know, Joe. Birch lake in Ely has a chit load of Rockies in it & have been tempted to try but have always been told they are yuck, even the warden up there said nasty when he saw a few in my live well, tossed them back. I’m going to give it a go next time.

gimp

I don’t see any Walleyes!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Big rock bass can have just a finicky bite as big crappies and bluegills. However a 9-10″ Rock bass will probably only have as much filet meat as a 6-7″ bluegill. Big Rock bass have big rib cage and big rib bones.

LabDaddy1

I always heard the same thing about “garbage” rock bass. They say they’re mushy and wormy. I’ve never actually tried one(though not really for this reason)but now I’m kinda curious. I trust joe, so maybe one day I’ll give ‘er a go

LabDaddy1

Ps; pug- you must be too busy catching reds and trout. Was hoping for a neat drawing here…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe, I’m in need of a boat….. What are the exact stipulations of this challenge? jester
    I agree they taste just fine. Particular lakes have more to do with fish flavor than fish themselves, sometimes.

Well here’s how it goes. We go fishing and catch a bunch of fish. Usually we get walleye, Sunfish, and rock bass mixed. Then I clean them and cut them into identical sized pieces and fry five of each. If you can pick out the 5 rock bass pieces blindfolded the boat is yours.

No one has gotten even close.

If you lose you owe me a couple cases of beer. toast

brewerybuilder

This comes from a guy that was raised to hate rockbass… I was told they were, “mushy” “wormy” and so on… we threw everyone away.

I’ve found those comments to be 100% wrong in my experience. The meat is just like a big bluegill. I’m very picky too… very!

I have a long standing bet with my clients. If they can tell the difference between a bluegill and rockbass, they get my Ranger boat… and I still have my Ranger.

In my estimate I’ve cleaned over 1000 rock bass the past few years. EVERYONE has been very impressed with the rockbass. The flavor and texture is just like a big gill. I’d say 100% of my clients say they’re the same as a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bluegill and about 90% say fully as good as the walleye.

As picky as I am I’d take a rockbass over a restaurant <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye 100% of the time no questions asked. Give them a try and you’ll be very impressed.

I too was told growing up that they were garbage fish and couldn’t be eaten. I just decided to try ONE just once. That is when I turned.

But by all means everyone, please throw them back…they are horrible! grin
    …more for me!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But by all means everyone, please throw them back…they are horrible! grin
    …more for me!

The bag limit is 100 daily and the season is continuous. There should be no shortage for you.

BTW, the state record in MN is only 2.0 pounds even. They can get quite a bit bigger though, as the state record in WI is a full pound heavier, 3.0 pounds. Just in case you’re after a monster rocky. yay

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.