Ice connditions north of Grand Rapids

• Kyle Wills

Anyone have an ice thickness report for north of Grand Rapids?

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Ice conditions are great. We have not lost any ice, only snow. Shorelines look good and can easily drive a truck on most lakes.

Kyle Wills

Thanks Bob. Out of curiosity what’s avg ice thickness? Need an extension?

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Should not need an extension. Minimal snow and the ice is still good thanks to that last warm up ending when it did.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Small lake I’ve been on recently in grand rapids area has around two feet. I’ve switched from the snowmobile to the atv. Best conditions of the year were I’ve been going.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It managed to make 2 ft of ice with all that early snow???

Reports sound good as in heading that way next weekend.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

It managed to make 2 ft of ice with all that early snow???

Reports sound good as in heading that way next weekend.
    [/quot

I’m not saying they all do, just the one I was on the last couple days did. It is one of the first to freeze in the area, so might have something to do with it. Crappies and blue gills were , are from two to six feet below the ice. I Swiss cheesed the basin, half one day other half the next. Pretty fun just going from one hole to the next pulling in fish.

Attachments:
    1. F1C396B2-18B7-47DC-AFB7-D32B85AFB2FD.jpeg

2. 6EBA804B-52B9-41CE-8E8F-524C7155BD1B.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we are on a smaller lake over by spring lake/talmoon. there was 7 inches of ice the 3rd weekend of deer hunting. with the 30 inches to 3 ft of snow in dec i wouldnt of expected that much. guess i’ll find out next friday!!!!!!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Yea that doesn’t sound good maybe bring a life jacket. I think the lake Ive been on maybe on the verge of winter kill ? Never seen everything so close to the surface.

Kyle Wills

I’ve seen other reports that fish are not far under the ice. That’s common as the season warms up and things begin to melt and they move up preparing to spawn. As ice melts, its bringing fresh oxygen into the lake. Where do you think that oxygen is located? Up near the surface.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I will say other than this small lake the only other place I’ve fished this winter is a abandoned mine pit for lake trout. It’s the last to freeze in the area because it’s around 300 ft deep and it has around a foot of ice.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea that doesn’t sound good maybe bring a life jacket. I think the lake Ive been on maybe on the verge of winter kill ? Never seen everything so close to the surface.

yea i’m afraid our lake is in the same condition. it had a severe winter kill last year!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.