ice conditions on Lake of the Woods

• Alex James Hartman

just curious if any one has any updates on ice conditions on lake of the woods i am heading up there at the end of the month and just curious on ice conditions, i know they are getting really cold temps up there but not sure how much ice they are making, i know upper red has about 3 inches of ice and should get a few more by the end of the week, if anyone has updates on LOW please give me an update that would be fantastic

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I just checked Wigwam’s FB page, and it sounds like 4 mile is gaining ice, but not fully covered. It will be a bit yet on LOW, but with the forecast for the next 7-10 days I think you will be fine by the end of the month. FWIW Red only has 3 inches in spots, and no one is walking out yet, maybe sometime this weekend but I sure wouldn’t be.

munchy
    NULL

The bays are starting to ice over.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2072.png

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Too much wind last few days. The Warroad river in town covered over about 2 days ago but we got about 6″ of wet snow on it so it mostly slush but getting stiffer. I’ll drive out to the landing tomorrow and take a look.

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Drove out to the landing and was surprised at how far the ice is past the mouth of the Warroad River. Hard to tell for sure but at least a 1/2 mile or more. Looks rough as heck from the N/NW winds we were having. Wind died down last night and now is just a slight S wind. Definitely making ice now. Calling for -13 tonight with high tomorrow of -3. Need the wind to stay down.

Went by my daughter and son-in-laws and seen him and his plane were gone so I texted him to fly over the lake and get a good ice report. I’ll let you know if he does or not.

Alex James Hartman

thank you bill boyd for the report if you could stay in contact with me on here and give me some reports for the next upcoming weeks that would be fantastic and very helpful, i can see that it suppose to get really cold up there these next few weeks so im hoping that can create some really good ice as long as the wind dies dow. stay in touch thank you so much!

Alex James Hartman

thank you bill boyd for the report if you could stay in contact with me on here and give me some reports for the next upcoming weeks that would be fantastic and very helpful, i can see that it suppose to get really cold up there these next few weeks so im hoping that can create some really good ice as long as the wind dies down. stay in touch thank you so much!

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

He said muskeg bay is frozen over, there was no snow on the ice and it looks fairly smooth. Went out to dinner at a resort over by Baudette tonight and they said that about 2 miles out there was open water. This would be just east of Zipple bay.

I would guess some guys will be walking out in the next few days if the weather does what is forecasted. -7 right now and now wind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.