Ice Castle Prices

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

someone told me that ice castle states their prices increase by an avg of 10% or so every year just because but I also heard that they posted something saying they would be increasing prices even more this year due to tariffs. Looking at the 2019 models for ice castle online and they do indeed seem to be much higher then they used to be. I was quoted a mille lacs hybrid model with arctic package, toy hauler and galvanized frame last year for around 17,500 and this year I see the base model mille lacs is closer to 19-20k. curious to see if anyone else has noticed a big difference in price this year

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If they plan on raising their prices, I sure would hope they raise the quality of their craftsmanship! Take a look at a yeti or the big bites…….not in the same league.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ooofda. That’s a big chunk of change. With such unpredictable ice during many seasons, there has to be a point where renting units for your outings comes into play.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just make sure when you buy a unit that it can double as a camper. I bought a firebrand and had it custom built. Far nicer then any yeti I’ve seen. My only regret is not going bigger. Its 6.5 x 14 I wouldn’t go smaller then 8 x 16. Even though mine is more then I need I’d still like more

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They are like boats. Look long enough and you will find somebody looking to unload theirs at a good price.

Nothing is getting cheaper.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I dont plan on buying for a few years at least and I agree about the quality. I think ice castle has improved in recent years but the whole appeal of them is the relatively low price.

snelson223
    Austin MN

A friend of mine got a new ice castle last year and he was very disappointed in craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

They are like boats. Look long enough and you will find somebody looking to unload theirs at a good price.

Nothing is getting cheaper.

x2 exactly

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It doesn’t seem that they care about their sub-par craftsmanship. When I walk thru their units at the ice show I’m appalled at the lack of detail on the fit and finish.

Red Eye

16 years ago when I was looking for a crank up fish house every used ice castle going down the road had bent axles and tipped out tires. I ended up buying a performance engineering house and have been every happy. I think Castle frames are way better now but totally agree with there quality control problems on interior fit and finish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ice and winter weather is becoming increasingly unpredictable. Last year was a “good” winter but lets be realistic here, most winters now you will get about a month or two of consistently cold temps. A boat is a much better investment.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Ice and winter weather is becoming increasingly unpredictable. Last year was a “good” winter but lets be realistic here, most winters now you will get about a month or two of consistently cold temps. A boat is a much better investment.

Sorry but I have to disagree 100%. Most ice houses are now used year round. I slept in my house well over 70 nights the past two years. How many days have you used your boat? Everyone is different and I don’t think anyone can say what is a better investment.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Take a look at a yeti or the big bites…….not in the same league.

You’re right! Double the cost is a different league.

2012 and newer Ice Castles are built quite well IMO. This has been discussed many times on here before but every house has issues. I have friends who paid the premium price ($40K) for the custom house only to have major structural issues!

IMO Ice Castles have the best value. I never thought I’d say that but they have really stepped up their game. Most of the negative comments are 10-15 years old.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Id agree with Joe. I owned a Yetti and I loved it but after selling it and looking for another house I would say ice castle has been impressing me more. No matter what brand, if you take care of your equipment (not drving 30+ across red lake, LOTW) it will return the favor.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I think everyone that has spent time in a few different brand fish houses recognizes the questionable finish work of a castle. Its well documented and I also think many can agree that newer castles are better than older ones. For me I am more concerned with the increase in price. As some others have pointed out an ice castle may have its limitations but its value lies in the low price point compared to other brands. If the prices go up there goes the value and IMO the appeal of a castle. I was just curious if others had noticed the price increase or not

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Well said Crappie.

I think even with the price increase they are still 30%-40% less than anything else. Also everything is going up in price so other manufactures will have to follow with their own price increase.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I heard 10-15% across the board. I bought a new one last fall and saw a guy selling same model right now used for $1500 more than I paid for mine. They are selling a crap load of them, and have made significant improvements especially with frame options. I don’t have any complaints about mine. Used it darn near every weekend this past winter and I’ve had it parked all summer next to the water I fish and have slept there much more than at home this summer. I also realize I bought an ice house and I’m not going to cry about air nail holes like guys do thinking they should be the same quality cabinets as are in thier homes.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I figured there would be backlash by the castle owners. I’m sure most of the owners are happy. I personally do not like the ribbed siding and that bump out window which seems to be a mainstay on every model. And after seeing every brand side by side at ice shows last few years, I was curious when I looked at the interiors of all the houses. Most were amazing inside and then I saw what Ice castle brought….the wood work was pretty bad. You couldn’t run your hand along most of the interior without scratching yourself up pretty good. The corners were really sharp. Not a good first impression if you ask me but maybe that’s why they cost less? I would think they would have run a palm sander at least if they are trying to showcase their product at such a big event?
    I may be nitpicking but unless I got an amazing deal, I will wait and save up for one of the “other” houses.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I don’t work for them, no stake in this, no backlash here. Just my experience with a year of owning this brand. Mine was not a custom order and has one pc fiberglass sides, no ‘bump out window’, and also no little dinette table that most guys can’t fit in and has 2 scissor couches instead. Anyway- in addition to dozens of layouts you can order whatever you want customized off those models. It’s not set in stone by any means if a guy wants to wait. I wouldn’t have bought one 10-15 years ago either. Times change.

queenswake
    NULL

I have been shocked at how many fish houses I have been seeing on the road this summer. I’m sure a drive through any campground or state park would reveal at least a couple of them at every one. These things are truly year-round toys now, which helps justifies their cost.

As for the price increase, my fear with all of these price increases because of “the tariffs” is that manufacturers and dealers will use the tariffs as an excuse to slip in whatever kind of other price increase they want to and consumers are just told “it’s the tariffs” with a shrug by the dealer. I have no doubts the same thing happened a few years ago when prices went up because of the high fuel prices.

The fact is, I think it’s clear that prices for things continue to go up and will continue to go up. So don’t let waiting for lower prices be a reason to wait to get something. Not going to happen.

outdoorsmn

16 years ago when I was looking for a crank up fish house every used ice castle going down the road had bent axles and tipped out tires. I ended up buying a performance engineering house and have been every happy. I think Castle frames are way better now but totally agree with there quality control problems on interior fit and finish.

I think everyone that has spent time in a few different brand fish houses recognizes the questionable finish work of a castle. Its well documented and I also think many can agree that newer castles are better than older ones. For me I am more concerned with the increase in price. As some others have pointed out an ice castle may have its limitations but its value lies in the low price point compared to other brands. If the prices go up there goes the value and IMO the appeal of a castle. I was just curious if others had noticed the price increase or not

We also ordered a Performance Engineering house. Unfortunately he’s a couple months behind and we are still waiting.

The price beat any competitor and the reviews I’ve read are excellent. Most reviews also inform you to add a few months to the ETA. So our delay was expected I guess.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

id look a the Team Lodge houses build in Brookings, SD. You can buy factory direct as well….the best in craftsmanship in my personal opinion. not a mass produced house, so the quality is A+

chawn clough

I have owned 2 castles and I have looked at all other brands and to get the most bang for your $$$$$ice castle will beat all other brands. My buddy spent more on his Yetti and has had a lot more issues than my castle, granted the majority of the issues a minor or can be taken care off with out much effort and by taking care of your stuff.. I personally went with a toy hauler mode to use year round camping,fishing, family vacations etc..

Attachments:
    1. 66850B32-CE9F-49AB-873D-E29052C33068.jpeg

2. D6FFAB1B-8051-4F69-BC25-7172E54D3301.jpeg

Branden Doyle

someone told me that ice castle states their prices increase by an avg of 10% or so every year just because but I also heard that they posted something saying they would be increasing prices even more this year due to tariffs. Looking at the 2019 models for ice castle online and they do indeed seem to be much higher then they used to be. I was quoted a mille lacs hybrid model with arctic package, toy hauler and galvanized frame last year for around 17,500 and this year I see the base model mille lacs is closer to 19-20k. curious to see if anyone else has noticed a big difference in price this year

I order a 2019 outlaw on hydraulic with spray foam, 90” walls, lights on each corner to see at night. Strobes,fiberglass siding and some more upgrades. I bought before April first price hike it coast 3,300 more for same unit if order today

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Almost everything went up around 10% this year. It’s been a great market the last few years. Look through your fall 2017 edition Cabelas book…I’ve never seen the prices jump so much in a year.

when my wife and i were looking this past spring, outlet recreation in st cloud quoted a new 2018 8×16 for just under 14k (non AC). this was like their gambler,
    or standard edition with 7 holes, 4 bunks. we got a used one for alittle cheaper, but from the research I’ve done, their frames/axles are on par with everyone else (confirmed this with a local welding shop too); interior looks great for a layman like me, but if I were a carpenter maybe I would be more nit picky?

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

These things are truly year-round toys now, which helps justifies their cost.

This is the only reason that I ever sprung for one. It needs to be moving from it’s spot in the driveway at least every other month, and then several times a month at certain times.

I have a Ridgeline set up how I like for day trips, group fishing, overnight fishing, family camping or hauling – it is not fancy and is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it suits my needs and the use it gets justifies the money I have put into it. I also like that I can strip it down to nearly 1300lbs + atv for the bad years.

jld
    Holmen

Just make sure when you buy a unit that it can double as a camper

This is how I am selling it to my better half. My question is regarding air conditioners. Can a guy install a small window unit and make it work? How do you guys that use these units in the summer handle keeping them cool? I too have seen a lot of these types of ice units on the roads this summer which makes sense in terms of getting year round value from them.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I was going to just do the window unit but one I was looking at had it already mounted to roof so I payed for the fancy one. I’m happy it has it on there. The window unit would have to be taken down every time I moved the trailer. A friend tried a portable floor unit and it wouldn’t cool it down enough- when you need it the most of course. The built in unit will freeze you right out of there if you wanted.

404 ERROR
    MN

Can a guy install a small window unit and make it work?

I have an 8,000BTU window AC in my Yetti. It works great, but my house is only a 6.5×12…it’s rated around 700 watts @ 6.5amps. Works good on a Honda 2000, but I prefer to have an electrical slip. It just barely fit in the window opening so I can’t use the accordion mounts. I slip pool noodles around the mounts and push it into the window. It’s kind of a pain to setup, but the house is 9 years old and I can’t justify upgrading.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.