Ice augers..2 stroke? 4 stroke? Electric?

• Kevin Cegielski

Hey guys,

I am looking for a new ice auger. I want something quiet if I can find that. I do at times re-open old holes. (not often) I’m a mechanical person. I know a 2 stroke will start and be a powerhouse all the time, no matter the temps. 4 stroke is quiet, but the oil can get into the carb…then you’re done for the day. Same with propane. Pretty quiet, but need to be careful how you lay it down or haul it. Electric? Super quiet, plenty of power I’m sure. I want an auger that will be awesome for at least 10 years. I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

A lot of guys like the electric augers but no one knows how long they will last. Just too new. I doubt batteries will last 10 years. If you want it to last for sure by a gas and take care of it. Lots of gas augers that are 20 years old.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I had the ion for one season and gave it away. The battery would die when it got cold. That was a 4 or 5 years ago, they say that doesn’t happen now.
    Got a Eskimo 2 stroke, the recoil broke on its maiden voyage on LOTW.
    Bought a Jiffy propane to get us thru the trip. Love it! Never had an issue with it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I also have the Jiffy. Bought it at the end of the 1st winter they came out. Have had some hose issues but it starts and cuts excellent. It doesn’t get a ton of use because I don’t get to get out as much as I would like.

Kevin Cegielski

I didn’t mention in my first post…I currently own a Jiffy Pro 4 lite. I don’t like to re-adjust the idle based on the temp. The auger should not spin walking to the next hole. I’m tempted to just get a 2 stroke Strike Master and be happy. mxskeeter is right about how long they last. My dads Jiffy 2 stroke was new in 1992. Still cuts holes. Not sure what to do. I am not sure I want electric. I just want an auger that drills holes every single time I go no matter what. I’ll bring ear muffs perhaps.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Can’t go wrong the the new solo 2 strokes strikemaster is putting out

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Electric seems ideal for a perm or wheel house. Otherwise a gas auger seems te best for longevity in my opinion. Have had the same Eskimo auger since 2004 don’t plan on switching until it doesn’t run any more

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

In my opinion the electrics are good for wheel houses and early ice. They r just too slow for me while drilling out structure later in the season. My strike master 2 strokes rips holes like butter. Cold weather intermittent use is just not a good application for a 4 strike. 2 strokes excel.

riverruns
    Inactive

Tanka 262R with a 6″ lazer. Thing will run forever, starts easy and super fast. Make your own. Real easy too do.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve never once had to adjust the idle on my pro-4 lite in different temps and I bought it the first year they came out. I’ve used it in well bellow zero up to about 50 degree temps and it’s never had an issue if the tanks are kept warm.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If you want an auger that’ll be awesome for 10 years, than I’d suggest a tried-and-true 2 stroke gas auger. I’ve seen plenty of 30-40 year old 2 strokes out there and they still cut.

Battery augers are great but somewhat limited and technology is always changing for the better so it’s hard to say if your new electric auger today will work with the battery technology of 10 years from now.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I upgraded my 1984 Eskimo 2 years ago with an Eskimo Propane auger. Very impressed so far. It sure is nice not to have a gas smell in our vehicles from a leaky auger.

Craig Kilber

I started with a Jiffy Pro4 propane but had trouble getting it started when it was really cold out so I got rid of it. From there I went to the ION X which I did really like but it was horrible in dirty ice, would go threw a few sets of blades a season. Finally, I went with the Honda 4 stroke Strikemaster. I have been extremely happy with this auger and don’t see myself changing anytime soon.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’ve had the strikemaster with the Honda 4 stroke since they came out. Honestly can’t remember when that was but it’s gotta be close to 10 years ago now. I’ve drilled hundreds of holes per season since and have had no issues. I wouldn’t consider going with another auger.

Rick Janssen

I have gone from a 2 stroke to Strike Master electric to the KDrill. Yes, for the long haul (back to that later) the gas will last the longest. Since I am always dragging my stuff (long haul) I wanted light. Got lighter with the Strike Master and use the same batteries as the Vex so just brought along an extra with no problems. Always cut everything, just could be slow. KDRILL is fast fast fast and light so I love it. I still have the Strike Master electric I would make someone a great deal on. I kept it around for my first year of the KDrill just to see if I would like it. Now I am ready to get rid of the Strike Master. Would be great for anyone in a wheel house etc.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’d have to throw my vote in for the Eskimo Mako 2-stroke. Myself and a fair number of good friends all have their 2-stroke augers and have rarely ran into any issue. Not the lightest, or the fastest out there but by golly have they been reliable.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I am looking for a new ice auger. I want something quiet if I can find that. I do at times re-open old holes.

Quiet, dependable, open old holes, sounds like a match up to a K-drill.
    Your choice in what brand/model drill you choose to power the auger.

As for myself I already have several Dewalt tools using the 20 volt batteries. With five 5amp batteries on hand the choice was easy for me. Next tool I need to get is a Dewalt 20volt hedge trimmer to cut grasses for grassing up my duck boat blind each season. I’m getting tired of swinging a hand machete. crazy

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I have one of the newer IONS. It costs a pretty penny but that thing is so sick, and it was a worthwhile investment. It’s really quiet, and doesn’t have all the malfunctions of a gas auger. As long as you sharpen your blades, it cuts through ice like it’s butter.

TipUpFishOn

Another vote here for the Strikemaster 4 stroke, light, good on gas, quiet(er) and no issues so far. Have heard goo things about the K Drill as well, nice if you already have the right drill.

rippinfish

I have a Honda 4 stroke,love it easy on gas and light weight so I can drill a ton of holes

Kevin Cegielski

Hi guys, I think I’m sold on the 2-stroke Strikemaster Lazer Mag Pro. Do I wait for the ice show in St.Paul to get a good deal? Fish USA has it on sale now at 10% off. I’ve never been to this ice show. Not sure what kind of deals to expect. Thoughts?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Should be able to find it 25% off somewhere or contact strike master and get a demo or one that is used for a fishing contest.
    Either that or I’ve heard some really good stuff about nils master USA lately……

Nathaniel Warnke

What is your fishing style? Are you a hole hopper who is punching 100s of holes or are you a permanent or wheelhouse fisherman? The electric augers are going to meet most people’s needs. Gas augers are nice for those who drill hundreds of holes or go back to the same spot and reopen the same holes. Electric is great for the average ice fisherman. With augers like the Strikemaster 40v you’re able to drill more holes on one battery than what you will most likely need. Electric is also a great option for permanent and wheelhouse fisherman looking to reopen old holes. As far as how longevity of the auger I feel gas is the way to go. In the future I can see the electric auger batteries last longer, but as of now it is hard to say how long they last. I run a 2 stroke and love the dependability of it. If you are a guy looking to reopen holes no matter which way to choose to go I would go with chipper style blades. If you’re a hole hopper you’ll definitely enjoy lazer blades to get through the ice quickly.

Gunflint Trail

I have an electric with an extra battery(never needed it except on multi-day trips). It is quiet, fast, reliable – and I never have to deal with gasoline spills or smells.I love it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have an electric with an extra battery(never needed it except on multi-day trips). It is quiet, fast, reliable – and I never have to deal with gasoline spills or smells.I love it.

This

Kevin Cegielski

Great question to ask. My dad and I are in the middle. We fish cribs, and we don’t need to drill more than 20 holes to get set up. If the weather is nice, we hole hop aggresively. Sometimes, I’ll drill 10-20 holes, and some days I’ll drill 100+. I think a 2 stroke is probably in my best interest. I’m looking at the strikemaster Lazer pro. 3 hp unit. 2 stroke. Thoughts?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If I were to buy a new auger it would be a high torque drill with a 8″ composite bit. Light and efficient. where I live, I will never need an extension so I am happy with my 4 stroke Honda. I still love the 2 stroke smoke and the 4 stroke purr of my Honda. Just do yourself a favor and do not buy an old Jiffy. Yes they run forever but they are loud AF!

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I’ve got two Strikemasters. The 2 stroke Lazer Mag 3hp and the Lithium 40v. The 2 stroke does cut a little faster, but doesn’t make up for the time needed to start the 2 stroke and let it warm up. If you drill 40 or less holes an outing and aren’t drilling through 3+ feet of ice, the 40v is the way to go. Only time I use my Lazer Mag now will be up at Lake Winnipeg. Will the 40v last 10 years without needing new batteries? Only time will tell.

Todd Hanson

I have the original ION with an extra battery really haven’t needed it! Never have sharpened the blades it’s awesome you couldn’t give me a gas auger! I have buried it down to the base! No maintenance gas or oil or smell! Don’t waist your money on any other augers. People that say gas have never had electric!!!!!

tim hurley

Like my Nihls- Fast and lite-went out with a guide, he had a drill auger and it was faster (hole was a little smaller) He drilled a lot of holes. He did have to swap the battery and he probably has to keep the battery warm. Cold night with thick ice too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.