I suggest NEVER doing business with this company!

• steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Please share this for me on Face Book!!

A company named Crank N Charge, who sold me a starter for my Mecury Optimax, after using it for about 2 days, will NOT warranty the starter. Mercury Tech’s said it was a bad starter that did not dis-engage and therefore was damaged. Crank N Charge says it was my fault….and that I am simply to buy another one from them as the ONLY option–instead of either replacing it to me or refunding me the original cost.
    I would NEVER ever recommend this company. Please share this to save anyone and everyone the cost of doing business with this outfit. Thanks…

basseyes

How in the Hailey’s comment is that your fault? Not much to be done wrong installing a starter, so that seems like baloney sandwiches b s to me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

2 days? Really? Amazing what some companies think they can get away with. Was this a new starter or re-built?

munchy
    NULL

Well if you read the fine print on the “lifetime warranty” it clearly states the “lifetime” of the unit as a 1.5 days. So you WERE past the date of no return.

devil

steve-fellegy

2 days? Really? Amazing what some companies think they can get away with. Was this a new starter or re-built?

BRAND NEW!!

steve-fellegy

Well if you read the fine print on the “lifetime warranty” it clearly states the “lifetime” of the unit as a 1.5 days. So you WERE past the date of no return.

devil

“one year warranty”–I paid shipping back to them ( no return shipping label offered after I asked) but ZERO warranty as they say– it was “my fault” it stuck engaged and fried.

steve-fellegy

I explained my history working with and using outboard engines ( I have owned over 30 Mercs/tourney boats etc.) and explained that this whole scenario cost me around $800 ( lost guide trip/labor /shipping both ways and another starter) and they said ” it is our policy” and the Merc Tech ( 20 year veteran) is wrong as their “inspection” team is right…my fault! LOL ” no refund or replacement”!

I want this ALL over Face Book with hopes the owner/president of the company sees how that $105 starter cost them….

big_g
    Isle, MN

How in the Hailey’s comment is that your fault? Not much to be done wrong installing a starter, so that seems like baloney sandwiches b s to me.

not saying its the case, but starters have to be installed correctly, shimmed if needed, so they engage/disengage correctly. Steve, did they actually come out and inspect it on your motor ? If not, there is no way for them to know how it was installed.

basseyes

not saying its the case, but starters have to be installed correctly, shimmed if needed, so they engage/disengage correctly. Steve, did they actually come out and inspect it on your motor ? If not, there is no way for them to know how it was installed.

I over simplified it, but personally never installed a starter incorrectly. Have put them in cars, trucks, outboards, tractors, diesels, etc. Guessing he’d installed more than a couple and had some idea he knew what he was doing. My bad for assuming that.

Most good companies will just replace vs dealing with the bad press something like this creates. Granted there’s some guys who shouldn’t be working on anything. And granted it’s tough for a business to eat peoples mistakes. But assuming it’s always the customers fault is a good way to go out of business quickly or get a bad word of mouth and horrible reputation. Finally gave up on Napa’s lifetime warranty after being told their life time warranty wasn’t truly a lifetime warranty by our local retailer. It was on a diesel starter, on a vehicle that was prone to burn through a starter in a year or so. Finally went to O’Riley’s and was way happier with their literal lifetime warranty. Still can’t believe a company sells a lifetime warranty that’s not truly a lifetime warranty. I even told them if it’s a known problem on a vehicle and they try to sell you on the upgraded lifetime warranty starter they should have already accounted for that. That falls on them not the customer. And is basically claiming something they are not intending on honoring and I for one don’t like doing business with companies like that. Companies like that bank on and hope people loose their receipts and don’t keep records. Then get punchy when someone wants them to honor their claims and products that have problems.

After dealing with Moultrie tcams, I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service. Leave my tcams out year round and go into it expecting problems with a digital piece of electronics left out in the woods year round. I’ve still got older cameras working and keep my receipts and fill out the warranty info for every camera. Very happy with the turn around time and the process of doing business with them with returns. And I let everyone know about it and should start seeing commissions for selling for them. I’ve been using them for close to a decade and am ubber loyal because of that customer service, it goes a long ways to customer retention. I’m sure there’s better quality tcams out there with just as good customer service but it’s hard for me to pell away from the service experiences I’ve had dealing with them.

To cost a customer that much time, who makes his living on the water in his boat is idiotic to me from a customer service perception. They are shooting themselves in the foot to spite their face. From his customers, to the guys in the local cafe, and now with the interweb, everyone is going to get an ear full. Fair to the business? Maybe not. But was what the business did fair, more than likely probably not.

steve-fellegy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

The Merc Tech, ( one of the best in the country!) after bringing it back to him after it failed to dis-engage, made SURE all was done correctly. And no, their “expert techs” did not see it installed. In fact, they tell me it had to be “my fault” and “no way would the starter/bendix?/solenoid ever get stuck engaged with the fly wheel”. Amazing….

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

You most likely paid by credit card file a claim with credit card company that the product was defective and company will not stand behind their product. May or may not get your money refunded but think odds better then 50/50 you will.

steve-fellegy

You most likely paid by credit card file a claim with credit card company that the product was defective and company will not stand behind their product. May or may not get your money refunded but think odds better then 50/50 you will.

Yep! Did all that….time will tell but who knows.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would say there’s something smelly in the air here. (Besides my passing gas). If all things being the same regarding installation and this was a big boat repair facility dealing with them in any kind of volume, would they point the finger back at one of the “certified mechanics” with the same conclusion as they have done with a single buyer? Bet not, they would eat it and not risk losing the account. Don’t know anything about this company, but typically when they pull these things they’re already in trouble and are not willing to give in to one customer and furthermore don’t care because they see themselves as being out of business before too long.

steve-fellegy

I would say there’s something smelly in the air here. (Besides my passing gas). If all things being the same regarding installation and this was a big boat repair facility dealing with them in any kind of volume, would they point the finger back at one of the “certified mechanics” with the same conclusion as they have done with a single buyer? Bet not, they would eat it and not risk losing the account. Don’t know anything about this company, but typically when they pull these things they’re already in trouble and are not willing to give in to one customer and furthermore don’t care because they see themselves as being out of business before too long.

I offered to have the Merc Tech who installed the new one and fixed the whole thing for me talk to them at Crank N Charge . He is one of the most respected Merc people in the entire country per Merc factory reps I have known for 30 years. Crank N Charge told me their experts know more than the Merc experts…LOL

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tomr wrote:</div>

Yep! Did all that….time will tell but who knows.

Steve have done the credit card thing for a refund before. Took me about 3 months but got total refund on my credit card. Make copies of all bills, letters sent and received to the company,dates of original install and and replacement dates. You will win this complaint. Then you can call the company and tell them to moon .

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I hate bullies and added a thumbs down and a comment for your troubles

steve-fellegy

Hello,
    We will be happy to help you, The return shipping cost is $15.88 once the shipping cost has been paid we will ship the item back to you. Please contact us @1-800-272-8755 to pay the return shipping.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,Bubba

That is the answer I got back after asking for MY starter to be returned. Pay shipping on the same starter for the THIRD time! LOL???

deertracker

Have you stopped to think that maybe this is your fault Steve? I mean you have been fishing so much that you wore out your previous starter. grin Joking of course. I have had the same starter for 20 years. bawling Good luck with this whole process. I didn’t realize that you could file a claim with your credit card company like that.
    DT

steve-fellegy

Have you stopped to think that maybe this is your fault Steve? I mean you have been fishing so much that you wore out your previous starter. grin Joking of course. I have had the same starter for 20 years. bawling Good luck with this whole process. I didn’t realize that you could file a claim with your credit card company like that.
    DT

Funny thing is–the “original ” starter was working fine. I put this “new” one on assuming the 4 year old was gonna or could fail soon. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”…..dah!!

steve-fellegy

I went to bat for you with an email to management. Maybe will help…

Thank YOU! This outfit needs to learn–obviously– the hard way….

steve-fellegy

Well, well….the power of the internet!

Just got off the phone with Chris, the OWNER of Crank N Charge. He called me…
    We had a good conversation and came to an understanding that I was NOT the problem, that I was NOT treated fairly and that they WILL refund me the cost of the starter after all. Thank you Crank N Charge! Just being fair…nothing more, nothing less.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Steve I’m glad you were taken care of, but I’d rather buy a starter online from a Nigerian Prince.

Nice try Crank n Charge your true colors are shown clearly in your original actions.

basseyes

Seems like more and more places are pulling these kind of practices out. Forces a normal guy to turn into that prickish customer that is left with no choice but to bark. Then they finally do what they should have done initially. Glad they made it right, but at what cost to the customer? The customer had to waste valuable time to get any action. I’d be tolerant they finally got the message, but not a chance I’d do business with them again.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The Nigerian Prince line deserves recognition Joe…well played.

wkw

If you have such a good relationship with Merc,
    why are you dealing with ” Crank and Start ” in the first place ?
    WKW

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Glad you’re getting your money back Steve.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

WKW

My thoughts exactly? Sorry Mr. Fellegy but you’ve lost a lot of respect from me for pulling a stunt like this. You made a bad purchase. Suck it up and move on.

steve-fellegy

WKW

For around 25 years, I proudly worked with/for Merc–yes. In 2008 I decided to walk away from doing any and promotional work /activities for Merc and others. “I will row my boat before I switch outboards!”

Yes, at some level of direct factory pricing, I suppose I could have purchased the part from Merc but choose not to jump through the hoops that have collected dust for 7-8 years. ( years back the part would have been “no charge”–naturally)

Obviously, I learned a good lesson trying to save some $$–(retail on the part direct from Merc via my mechanic was 2.5 times $$ that this “OEM match” was)

So–done deal. It’s over….

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Good to see that they made it right, it’s unfortunate all the hassle it took to make it happen. Bad customer service is one thing that will make me never come back. Retailers have one shot to treat me fairly, mess that up and there are 100 more waiting for my business.

I don’t blame you one bit for trying to save some hard earned cash on an OEM match part. Nor do I understand why you have to explain yourself…you were the one that got screwed!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have to agree with the customer service value comments. Someone that treats you like you matter has everything to gain in the long run. All others will fall away sooner or later. It’s another “sow and reap” scenario. If you dish out a pile of crap, that’s all you’re going to be left with.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.