I love this time of the year on the lake

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The fishing has been outstanding. Ice has been very good on the local lakes I know well. It’s still sketchy enough where I’m not being crowded.

I bet in about a month guys will be flocking to any spot they see another guy sitting and popping holes in circles around people.

To me, wheeler access only is the best time of the ice season.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I had a good morning yesterday on a smaller lake in the Chisago area that I like to fish early ice. Used to have some real nice panfish in it but got hit pretty hard the last few years after someone let the word out. Was happy to run into some 12 inch crappies again. Love early ice.

bigpike

Yes it’s been a good run this year. The ice is solid, no big snow or slush. Fishing has been overall pretty darn good. Christmas time will bring a change but yes the early ice is nice and quiet. We have another 2+ weeks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is what I mean. I got on the lake at 3 this evening and off at 520.a area in chisago that no body goes this time of year

Attachments:
    1. 20181205_174842.jpg

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I fished a lake in Central WI this past Saturday, pretty popular lake year round and from what I could tell, I was the first person out fishing and I was the only person I could see while out there. It was walkout only as the shoreline was dicey but once I was 5ft away from shore there was 5in a good clear ice the rest of the 20min walk. It was great to be out there and almost creepy to have the whole west arm of the lake to myself (east side was still open water)

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nice Bearcat! That middle eye is a tub!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah that big girl there decided to swallow my entire rig. Otherwise it would have gone back in the hole. But I mean it’s such a blast being out there all alone and being busy. Caught a handful of crappies to and those perch. But only wanted to clean enough for dinner to go with the venison steaks I have marinating in the fridge.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I agree it has been nice! I’ve been fishing a lake on my side of the river that gets MAJOR pressure once vehicles get out there. Been 1 of 3-5 people the past 7–10 days.

It’s starting though. I was out today and there 10-15 peaople out there. Greatfully, I was all alone 400+ yards east hitting my honey holes. Had to ninja fish though to avoid drawing neighbors.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I hear ya I love this time of year! I started the morning yesterday before sunrise, loaded gear, and took a four mile rip down a logging trail on my sled to a small lake. When we rolled out onto the lake at sunrise we had it all to ourselves. No better way to start a day!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I hear ya I love this time of year! I started the morning yesterday before sunrise, loaded gear, and took a four mile rip down a logging trail on my sled to a small lake. When we rolled out onto the lake at sunrise we had it all to ourselves. No better way to start a day!

I need to find a lake where I can do that. I’ve seen the shows when you do that and it just looks like a blast. And you haven’t even started the fishing yet!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I need to find a lake where I can do that. I’ve seen the shows when you do that and it just looks like a blast. And you haven’t even started the fishing yet!

We were out in the Detroit Lakes area. Endless small lakes out there to check out.

Fishing was pretty solid too… I had two walleye, back to back, take the line from my hand as I was setting my first hole with an ifishpro. Caught them both too! Never had that happen before! Promised myself that if it happened a third time I was going to pack up and go buy a Powerball.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>

We were out in the Detroit Lakes area. Endless small lakes out there to check out.

Fishing was pretty solid too… I had two walleye, back to back, take the line from my hand as I was setting my first hole with an ifishpro. Caught them both too! Never had that happen before! Promised myself that if it happened a third time I was going to pack up and go buy a Powerball.

That’s great! I had one do that to me on Mille Lacs over the weekend but it was a regular tip up. Thought I had gone to deep and got snagged in some rock. I was so confused! lol

bigpike

Nice job bearcat! Was out tonight and didnt have quite your luck!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jamin
    Had to ninja fish though to avoid drawing neighbors.

I know exactly how you feel.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It was a beautiful morning for that as well. The Detroit lakes area is sure nice. I wish I made it there more often.
    Those small off the grid lakes are one of my favorite winter camping experiences. The panfish you can find in some of the small looked over lakes are amazing

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Let me preface this by saying any and all days out on the lake are awesome!
    I will be heading to the cabin in about 20 hours. Hoping there’s enough ice to get out and drill holes.
    Actually, don’t care if I catch anything. Just nice to get out there

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

Couldn’t agree with you anymore on this. I went out for a couple of hours after work on Tuesday, and was the only person on a smaller metro lake. Got into a couple of 1/2 decent crappies and even a bonus ‘eye! In a couple weeks that spot will be filled up with people, and I’m not much for crowds on the ice.

Slabhunter

[/quote]

DL…that’s where I live…back in the day we used to pull our one many portys through the woods North of DL in that same area James and catch huge crappies on little ponds not even on the MN Lakefinder App….using #4 jigging raps…that’s all we used. The freeze of 2014 put a crunch on the population and killed off many of them…hopefully they come back but doubtful….last year I caught crappies in 26 diff lakes within 30 miles of DL.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Couldn’t agree with you anymore on this. I went out for a couple of hours after work on Tuesday, and was the only person on a smaller metro lake. Got into a couple of 1/2 decent <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies and even a bonus ‘eye! In a couple weeks that spot will be filled up with people, and I’m not much for crowds on the ice.

I’m not much for a big crowd guy either. I always stay away from the crowds and hit small bays. Why does every one want to fish such pressured spots?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dexknows wrote:</div>
    Couldn’t agree with you anymore on this. I went out for a couple of hours after work on Tuesday, and was the only person on a smaller metro lake. Got into a couple of 1/2 decent <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies and even a bonus ‘eye! In a couple weeks that spot will be filled up with people, and I’m not much for crowds on the ice.

I’m not much for a big crowd guy either. I always stay away from the crowds and hit small bays. Why does every one want to fish such pressured spots?

Because they think all those people there means they must be catching fish! doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

[/quote]

A lot of reasons –
    1) Historically it’s a spot where fish are caught.
    2) Some people go to socialize and not fish seriously.
    3) There is typically good access.
    4) Habit

With the new technology you would however think people would wander more off the beaten path.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.