Hybrid Saddle/Tree Stand

• Michael Best

Since a couple guys were inquiring about my set up in the live from the tree thread I figured I would share some pictures of my set up.

Here is the stand all packed up ready to head into a tree.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4257-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_4256-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

Here is the pic of the stealth strip made for the cam buckle.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4258-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

Kifaru back pack straps.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4259-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

Pictures of my saddle. I Beth and attached a couple pieces of tig welding rod to make hooks. Then wrapped them with black hockey tape. When I get to tree I will hang the first stick, hook a stick on each hook and attach my linesman rope to the tree.
    I will then get on the bottom step and attach the second stick. Depending on the tree I will use all 4 sticks or whatever is needed.
    There is a picture of the ascender on the linesman rope as well.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4263-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_4262-scaled.jpeg

3. IMG_4261-scaled.jpeg

4. IMG_4260-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

The 4 sticks with an aider for the bottom stick, all sticks have stealth strips on them and I switched out the cam buckle straps for amsteel ropes.
    I use 2 night eyes wire ties to tie the 4 sticks together.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4264-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

I hate to climb a tree more than once. So when I get to the tree I will take my pack off my stand as well as the sticks. I use a 25” chuck of 550 oars cord and tie it to my pack and leave a 4” tail and tie the tail to my bottom cam on my bow.
    I will tie the other end to one of the linesman rope loops on my saddle.
    Throw the stand on my back and start climbing the tree. Once the stand is set and I am on it I will pull up my pack and bow.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Looks like a solid setup! I run the same saddle.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is my style. I don’t run a saddle and I haven’t talked my self in to it yet but I am a hang and bang type of hunter. I try to never sit in the same place more then 2 times. When I rifle hunted I wouldn’t ever even go in a tree I used the stalk and ground game. But now that I more or less retired the rifles for hunting in our state I run the lone wolf alpha stand. I really am border line on buying the novix helo.
    Those straps look great, I have some xop ones with a belly strap that I hate.

tswoboda

I like the hyrbid idea, best of both worlds. Do you usually set up with your back to the tree like traditional hang on setup or facing the tree like traditional saddle setup?

Michael Best

It just depends on the tree and where I expect the deer to be.
    A lot of trees I end up in will only have once spot that is vertical enough for a stand.
    If the expected area of where the deer is in front I will sit in the stand if it’s behind the tree then I use the stand more as a saddle platform.

There have been times I was in a strait tree and I will deliberately set up the opposite side of where I think the deer are at to use the tree trunk as cover.

Michael Best

Here is a picture of the set up when I hit that buck last week.
    In this tree I was expecting the deer to come from in front of me. So I sat in the stand.
    Not much of a tree but it worked. Had a little 1 x 2 walked by right under me 15 minutes before the deer I hit came by. There are only about 10 trees in this little area. 2 good trees are on the east side but the remainder of the trees are either black locust trees or a monster cottonwood I would never get my straps or ropes around.

Oh and I have hay fever. I swear this tree swayed every time I sneezed. lol

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4246-scaled.jpeg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I like your setup, on average what’s it take to get set up in a tree? I like your welding rod idea, makes it more efficient hanging sticks. I tied some para rope to mine and hook them to pack or on me so I don’t have to make trips. Those ascenders seem sick too.

Michael Best

If it’s a good tree and I am having a good day I can climb and be set up in 10 minutes.
    Crooked trees or lots of branches can slow a person down.
    In my younger days I wasn’t as smart so I didn’t tie off while climbing with a linesman rope. So back then I could climb and be set up quicker. I will gladly add a little time to be safer.

For an interesting side note I climbed a lot of trees over the years and never fell.
    In the last 2 years I have fallen twice. Both times I was tied off with the linesman rope, both times was while I was descending and a stick slid out on me. Both times I was not hurt other than my pride. Both times was when I put my foot on the 2nd stick from the ground. Sometimes I have installed that stick on the ground and I don’t think I am getting the rope cinched properly. So it slips out. Now I focus on installing sticks at waist level instead of reaching up to install them.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

That seems to be how it works but good thing you were wearing your lineman’s belt!
    Im assuming the amsteel rope is quieter then the cam buckle, is that the main reason for the switch? I already plan on doing some upgrades based on your setup.

Michael Best

I don’t think it’s any quieter but they are lighter and more compact. I have added stealth strips to the sticks and the cam buckles. So that eliminates any metal on metal noise that could happen. I think the company that sells that stuff is stealth outdoors. It’s been a while since I have ordered it.

To be honest I have been thinking of going back to the cam buckle straps.

Glad to help in your future set ups.
    One thing I have learned is there are a lot of options out there as well as advice. Just pick some options and try them out. A person will figure out what works best for themselves.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is there a certain length aider that works best. Most I’m seeing run 15, 17 or 20 Inches. And are you only running a aider on the bottom stick ? And what aider do you recommend. I do not run a aider actually didn’t realize there were options. But I will be from now on.

Michael Best

I use a 20” I believe I might have thought it was 24” in a previous post.
    It’s basically a 1/8” cable wrapped in a plastic sheath has two eyes. It goes inside the bottom of the tube and the bolt for the bottom step will go through the cable ends.

I have seen guys make home made ones out of nylon straps and a piece of hose as well.

I bought mine from Eastern Woods Outdoors.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.