New .17 WSM cartridge.

• johnee

Many of you, I’m sure, heard last fall that Winchester was producing a new rimfire cartridge: The .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum). Winchester ammo started appearing in the dealer catalogs for 2013 and I’ve heard that it is actually on the selves now in some stores.

In case you’re wondering how the .17 stacks up against other rimfire offerings, here’s a comparison:

The big mystery, of course, was who would produce a rifle in this chambering. Winchester had produced some single shot test rifles, but there’s been lots of speculation about which makers would be the first to jump on board.

Looks like Savage officially took the leap: http://www.varminter.com/new-savage-bmag-rifle-in-17-winchester-super-magnum/

This is going to be a tough one for me to resist. The performance aspects are just too interesting. I’d like to see a little more upgraded version of the Savage with wood stock, etc, but that’s probably coming.

Anyone else heard of the 17 WSM and been thinking about getting one?

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I read about it in the most recent issue of Field & Stream (at least I think it was F&S). Looks very interesting. They mentioned several manufacturer of rifles. I’ll look tonight and try to post what the article said.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very cool!! I’m in the market for a .17 right now. Looks like I better hold off until this round becomes a little more available.

paulz

Just what we needed was a reason to buy another rifle!!!
    I do have both rifles and ammo on order. Savage claims the guns will arrive at the store in Late February.

There is another cartridge coming out called a .17 Hornet.
    This will be a centerfire round with unbelievable statistics. Again, they are on order and I will let you know as soon as they show.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

OK, so it was Outdoor Life, not F&S.

Anyhow, the article says that Savage will have rifles out by mid-April (sooner, according to Chris) and that two additional gun manufacturers will have rifles chambered for that round in 2013.

johnee

Quote:

Just what we needed was a reason to buy another rifle!!!
    I do have both rifles and ammo on order. Savage claims the guns will arrive at the store in Late February.

Any word on the price of the ammo?

I’m going to take the plunge, but id like to know more about the Savage performance and actual cost of ammo.

Grouse

johnee

At various online sources, I’m seeing ammo listings for the .17 WSM at between $14 and $17 per box of 50. Some sites are offering a price break for 500 or 1000 rounds.

The whole setup looks very attractive to me. May have to spend a little toy money. . .

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve not been looking at .17 ammo on my recent excursions so I’ll have to start.

FWIW, my dad picked up 6 boxes of .22 lr at 6.79 per 100 yesterday out in SD. Last they had on the shelf. So the shortage appears to have reached everywhere now.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

FWIW, my dad picked up 6 boxes of .22 lr at 6.79 per 100 yesterday out in SD. Last they had on the shelf. So the shortage appears to have reached everywhere now.

Outrageous

kooty
    Keymaster

No doubt.

kooty
    Keymaster

Anyone hear when to expect the Savage rifles to hit the shelves? I’ve decided I need one….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We’re gonna start calling you the rifleman.

kooty
    Keymaster

Shot my new pistols last weekend at Dad’s too. Love my XD40. You are not safe out to 50 yards. The PX4 leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Springfield, but none the less it will fit my needs for a slightly bigger carry gun. The XD is a very nice range gun. I also got to shoot my S&W 22A with a cheap red dot on it. The jury is out on the red dot.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The PX4 leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Springfield…

In the accuracy department?

Quote:

I also got to shoot my S&W 22A with a cheap red dot on it. The jury is out on the red dot.

I’ve got a Beretta Neos with a red dot on it. I go back and forth on liking it. With the Neos, though, I have a spare barrel, so I have one with open sights and one with a red dot mounted. It takes all of 30 seconds to swap out.

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s all in the trigger for the PX4. Long pull. Just going to take some extra rounds to get comfortable with it. I love how it fits my hand etc…

I’m thinking of putting on a cheap traditional on the 22A and see how I like that. I can always upgrade optics down the road.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How do you like that 22A? I almost bought one a few years ago, but ended up picking up the Neos instead. After a few thousand rounds, I have been very happy with the Neos. A few of my B-I-L’s bought their own after shooting mine.

kooty
    Keymaster

After 100 rounds, I’m happy. I was shooting some old ammo that was a bit “dirty” and had a couple jams. I also have the same issue shooting this old stuff up in my Marlin rifle. Just need it gone!! All in all, it’s easy to break down and clean and accurate. It’s something I’ll probably carry a lot when I’m working food plots etc…

kooty
    Keymaster

Just got a note from Savage. The new rifles should be hitting the shelves in the Q2 this year.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.