Copenhagen

• tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

On monday I took my last pinch of chew an threw the tin away. I chewed for 21 years , Has any of you gone through this? An what did you do for the cravings?

twoscrews43
    nd

dont know abought chew but smoking i do.
    been 4 years. knock on wood. mind was mind over matter.
    witch mind is short. be just like kid keep the hands
    moving.its not easy.keep the reason for doing it in mind.
    good luck.an keep at it.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Good luck to you.

I chewed for about 16 years. Smoked too. Chewing was twice as hard to quit (for me at least) Quit about 6 years ago and took the SH*T up again about a year and a half ago. Still smoke free (8 years now) and need to get off the chew again.

Keep strong, it will be a good 3-4 months before your over the hurdle.

bobberman

I have been chewing for 18 years i tried stoping once it was the hardest thing i have ever tried i chew 4 to 5 tins a week i stoped for a week i would shake really bad any little thing i would get mad about, i was looking on line on tips how to quite they were saying it was like a meth head withdraw from meth,i no i need to quiet but if u chew a lot it is so hard,a lot of it is mental, good luck let me no what helped you

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I quite chewing Copenhagen Long Cut almost two years ago now. I chewed for about 15 years, never spit and got to the point that I could eat and sleep with it in. There isn’t a morning that goes by that I still don’t crave a pinch. It is really, really hard for a while, but does get better.

Scare tactics of your face falling off did not work for me, although the threat of cancer and losing time with my familiy scared me a lot. I used Technology to assist. At first I used the 4mg patches and would be lying if I told you that there weren’t multiple patches at times. For the first couple months, I would use patches in combination of a quick burst such as a gum or the lozenges battled the urges. I was told by a consultant that adding additional nicotine via patches, gum or lozenges are by far better than chewing. Nicotine is not the bad substance as it is all the other bad stuff.

Now even after almost two years I still use 2mg lozenges at times. Although the lozenges taste horrible and often times give you a chalky ring around your mouth that is embarrasing, putting them between the cheeks and gum seems to feel good.

Unless you have the will power of Monk, I recommend trying these three items. Now I don’t worry as much about cancer and my daughter stopped asking me why I put dirt in my mouth.

The first few months absolutely SUCKS!!! You will get the shakes a little, cold sweats and be really crabby at times. Just remember….IT GETS A LOT BETTER!!!!!!!

Here are a couple additional helpful hints….

1. Pay for gas at the pump and avoid going into the gas stations. Then you won’t even see the deliciousness sitting there.

2. Tell people you are quitting and are trying to quite. This will give you a sense of accountability and help keep you on track. Most chewers will be the most supportive of your journey.

3. Try not to cheat. Don’t tell yourself that if I go all weekend, I’ll just have a little bit. Your brain will go into overload craving. Cheating with just a little pinch sets you back a lot.

I wish you the best of luck.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One of my buddies uses a snuff substiute that keeps him off the real stuff.

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

I have quit the copenhagen for almost 8 years and if it wasnt for Smokey Mountain herbal snuff it would of never happened. My big thing was when my at that time 11 year old son looked at me and said ” I can wait till I grow up and start chewing like you dad”. Threw it away that day and never went back.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Im craving it big time,this is a tuff one

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe try chewing some beef jerky Tony when the cravings come. Some say chew gum and I could do that but everyday chewing gum I’m not that interisted in. Maybe the smokyness of the jerky would help. Maybe chew on some orange slices candy or some maple candies, both of those candies would be a diffrent taste to take the chew cravings away and if only temporary it would work some. Just an idea and don’t know if it will work, good luck .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.