Prayers for Kaden Please

• prieser
    Byron, MN

Kaden’s Surgery to remove his Bone Cancer is scheduled for this coming Friday. He is having a procedure called Rotationplasty You Tube Rotationplasty. It’s a very odd procedure but the results have been fantastic. Your prayers and thoughts will be much appreciated as Kaden enters his next phase with his battle of Osteosarcoma. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers this week.

Here is his Care Pages link again if anyone would like to catch up on his day to day life and tasks. Kaden’s Website

If you read his Journal you will see that not only are his parents trying to deal with Kadens life changing surgery; they have also taken on the task of helping another family at Mayo during their own battle. Truely an Amazing Family and one that I am proud to know and to share with all of you.

Thanks again all of my extended IDO family.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Prayers sent for the little man and his family! Hoping for a speedy recovery!!

gundoginga
    Delano, MN

My families prayers are with him and the family.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Many prayers coming at you lil buddy and to the rest of this great family !!!!!!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Prayers sent out to the little man

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Many prayers coming at you lil buddy and to the rest of this great family !!!!!!!

X2 Prayers sent

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Prayers Sent!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Hang in there little Kaden! We’re praying for you!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Best of luck tomorrow Kaden, you’ll be in my thoughts and prayers all day long.

Keep us in the loop Bob!!

prieser
    Byron, MN

A note from Kaden’s Mom…..

We arrived at the hospital bright and early around 5:50am. Kaden slept on the way to the hospital and while we were checking in. He woke up in a great mood! He was smiling, laughing, and playing games on the iPad. He was slaying monsters on a game called Infinity Blade. Much like how Dr. Rose is going to slay his cancer! They took a blood test right away and within 15 minutes we found out that his neutrophils were at 4400!! We were very happy to hear that…surgery could proceed! We talked a Kaden a little about how his leg would be different when he woke up and he knew what we were talking about. He seemed fine with it. We met with several doctors and then the anesthesiologist gave him some “happy” medicine and within a few minutes Kaden said “I feel dizzy” and he was slurring his words. But that didn’t stop him from playing his game! Logan put on the blue “bunny” suit and brought him back to the operating room. Kaden went to sleep no problem. Logan and I both feel very good. I thought it would be more overwhelming than this but we have had 10 weeks to process this and for me at least, I feel a sense of relief that the tumor will be gone! We can deal with everything else that is to come, but having that ncerous tumor out of Kaden’s body is somewhat uplifting! We have a pager for when Kaden is in recovery. A nurse communicator will be giving us updates throughout the surgery. In fact, she just called and the surgery started at 9:13am…that is when the first cut was made. Prior to this they had to set up and that takes about an hour and a half. Right now I’m sure Kaden is dreaming about slaying monsters Thank you for all of the prayers and support today. So far it’s been a good day and everything is going as planned! We are in room 3-150 (same floor as always). We switched to this room because Kaden’s request before he went into surgery was to have a Wii in his room….his wish has been granted! I need to write an exam and Logan is doing work. It’s weird not having Kaden in the room though. Before we know it, he will be back. More posts to come!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the update Bob. Kaden is certainly in good hands – it’s easy to see that from reading the love shown above from his mother.

prieser
    Byron, MN

The tumor is OUT!
    We just received word that the tumor is OUT and pathology said the margins look good! Dr. Shaunessey’s team is putting things back together now! Things are going great! No complications otherwise they wouldn’t be at this point yet! Dr. Rose said it would take about an hour and a half to remove the tumor and he was right! Nurse Lori said that Dr. Rose sounded very pleased (usually he sounds stressed!). THANK YOU LORD!!! THANK YOU for ALL THE PRAYERS!! I better get going on my exam…Kaden is going to be done before we know it!! Logan and I are feeling great!

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming everyone.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s great news!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I get a big lump in my throat each time I read and update. I’m so happy to read the good news.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

I get a big lump in my throat each time I read and update. I’m so happy to read the good news.

I hear you man, I’ve welled up more than once the last couple of days. Thanks for the thoughts everyone

prieser
    Byron, MN

At 12:30 the nurse communicator told us that they were closing Kaden up and that Dr. Rose wanted to talk to us! From the time they opened him until they started closing him it only took about 3 hours! That is amazing! NO COMPLICATIONS! He has a good pulse in his foot and his nerves are all intact! They took about 12 cm of his femur from his knee up. Part of that was good bone just to ensure that they got all the tumor. Dr. Rose showed us the X-ray of the part they removed. I was so excited I was shaking! I just can’t believe the cancer is out. All of that positive thinking has helped so far. There is still a long road ahead but each day proves that we can overcome this! Our surgeons are amazing! What a team! Logan and I are on cloud 9 right now. Kaden is being stiched up and he will slowly make his way to recovery. They have to do some X-rays first. The next few days are going to be tough but hopefully with the pain meds Kaden will be mostly pain free. He has an epidural in to administer the morphine. I’m ready to see those cute little toes! He might not move them right away but I can wait for that. We’ve jumped another hurdle!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Kaden just returned back to the room from recovery. When we got to recovery he wasn’t crying…just asking for Logan and I He was more worried about his eyelids than his new leg! There was some tape on his eyes during surgery..darn tape! The pain meds are working great so far…no pain to report! Kaden’s little foot is sticking out of the bandages. His leg is wrapped pretty well with alot of cotton padding. We were the first to see and feel Kaden wiggle his toes! And not just wiggle, but he fully gripped our finger with his toes! And he knew that Logan was touching his big toe and then his little toe! Everything is working perfectly so far. Guess what the first thing Kaden did….played the iPad with Dad! So far so good…better than we expected. AMAZING! Kaden knows the doctors built him a new leg and he’s good with it so far. Not sad or mad.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Awesome Awesome Awesome !!!!!! Got me doing this now What an great kid and family

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

for Kaden to be free of that tumor. Anything that ends in ‘sarcoma’ is not good. Believe me I know.

I’ll continue prayers for a great recovery and excellent rehab.

My niece is currently in a battle with Ewings Sarcoma. Just recently diagnosed and doing chemo now. Hopefully she continues to do well with the chemo so she too can have it surgically removed after it ‘shrinks’. The tumor is in her upper right arm…

All the best to Kaden….and all family and friends….

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

It’s great to hear the good news! I’m praying for a speedy recovery for the little one!

Prayers are sent for your niece “flatfish”!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Prayers are sent for your niece “flatfish”!

X2 Flatfish

prieser
    Byron, MN

53 steps today!
    Recovery continues to go well! Kaden got to spend some time with Grandma Judy today while Logan and I finished some Christmas shopping. Too bad Kaden fell asleep on Grandma! We received a visit today from a 12-year old girl named Madison and her parents. Madison had rotationplasty when she was 7…she is five years cancer free! Madison didn’t have osteosarcoma but rather a synovial tumor that is very rare in young children. Madison showed us her prosthetic…she, like Kaden, likes her prosthetic leg! Kaden wasn’t too happy when he woke up from his nap because the physical therapist was there to greet him. Plus we had to give him Tylenol and he just didn’t want to take it. Poor nurse Alesha got the first dose of Tylenol spit back at her. Kaden took the new dose like a big boy though. Kaden took 10 steps with his walker while the physical therapist was here. He was mad at us afterwards so we got the silent treatment. This evening though has been a different story. He has been in a good mood. We were visited by Misty and Rylan. They brought Kaden a McDonalds cheeseburger. Rylan ate his chicken nuggets while Kaden ate his cheeseburger. The boys then sat on the bed and played the DS for a little bit. After that we were visited by my co-worker Rod, his wife Charyssa, and their son Max. They brought us a wonderful supper…we are stuffed ;( So why is Logan still eating??? And how can I forget our visit from my co-worker Heather who brought us her delicious homemade caramels!! Logan really looks forward to those every year. THANKS everyone! The big news of the night is that Kaden is once again urinating on his own (standing up on his bed as he did before) and he took 53 steps down the hall with his walker tonight!!! He pushed through some pain and kept taking steps…he was so brave and strong. We were very proud of him…we can’t wait to tell the physical therapist tomorrow. Rylee and Madisyn made Kaden a chart to put stickers on for his PT. It’s filling up! Tomorrow we will head to the cast room for a dressing change. They use a mild sedation to do it because apparently it can be scary and painful. It will be the first time we see his actual leg.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.