New ido hunting forum ?

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

Yup they come every year and sit in a big old room on one of the best fishing weekends of the year. I will stop and say hello if the weather is crappy for fishing.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I brought this up to brad and have not got nothing back on it yet but wanted to know what every one else thinks about i think ido hunting should have a trip swap/open seat forum what you guys think

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The idea of gun hunting with strangers has no appeal to me.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I guess I would need more information as to what you are thinking about.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Since I technically don’t own any land. I have nothing to bring to the table.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I assumed this was refering to swapping trips like the fishing site. Take someone to your spot in trade for them taking you??

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I assumed this was refering to swapping trips like the fishing site. Take someone to your spot in trade for them taking you??

I’m sure some guys do that now with friends, but I doubt strangers would be willing to do it. A trophy deer is a little different than a trophy fish…you can always release the fish to be caught again!

john_steinhauer
    p4

my thoughts on it where more for the predetors,turkey,duck, pheasants in my eyes i would not have a problem taken some one that duck hunts out turkey hunting to some of my spots in exchange to a trip duck huntin i dont duck hunt im not trying to say everyone should bring people to there honey hole and shoot all there bucks they been tryin to grow for years more less share the outdoors with some one help get people into other kinds of hunting thats where i was kinda going with it

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is different! I guess I wouldn’t mind trading a pheasant hunt for a turkey hunt or something like that!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’m sure some guys do that now with friends, but I doubt strangers would be willing to do it. A trophy deer is a little different than a trophy fish…you can always release the fish to be caught again!

For given reasons also, No. I actually have many things in the works… that’s what PM’s are for I have had many offers to do this, I feel in a private setting, is where this belongs. Don’t see it getting alot of use in here, like the fishing side. Probably be some hurt feelings also…. little different than going to a public lake IMHO

john_steinhauer
    p4

I agree in a private setting and thats what pm are for but why not have a place to post what your looking to do and have people reply in a pm form if you dont get a pm what are you out other than five min from making the post i know there are pros and cons to this but with some people it could work out great and maybe make life long friendships and help someone get into a new sport

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good thoughts Maybe in each forum, say under deer hunting, if you have a trip to share or are looking for one, post there, or predator , duck and so on. I know one of the Admins concerns may be, if you get too complicated, it becomes that, complicated… I don’t think they would be against doing it that way.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Yeah thats why i posted this wanted to see what people thought i knew starting this there was going to be pros and cons but i cant wait to see what the poll is when its over

huntfish42
    SSP, MN

I don’t see this as bad idea at all. I have read many posts on here regarding one member wanting to try bowhunting or duck hunting etc. This lifestyle of ours is fading fast enough, a little comraderie and sharing a real life experience with a novice could go a long way to promote and encourage everyones participation in a variety of hunting. I wish someone would have shown me how to track a wounded deer, or grunt to a buck, or call a flock of mallards. These are all things I had to learn the hard way with many mistakes that ended poorly. Also, some people might not have access to good land to hunt turkeys and another might need a spot to bowhunt. If you are willing to trade one for the other, why not?

john_steinhauer
    p4

I would have to say you said it all perfect to a T!!!!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Keep in mind that Bird hunting is like deer hunting for many of us. The spots we use have been developed over many years and all have a time and place. It’s hard to share those places with somone you don’t know well enough to trust or not trust. Just looking at it from a bird hunters point of view.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m more concerned with gun handling. Takes time for me to trust hunting with someone let alone showing them spots.

I fish with different people all the time but rarely do I go in the field with a strange gun. My Dad really hammered that point home when I was a kid and it stuck.

huntfish42
    SSP, MN

No one is saying you have to post in it, I don’t trust many people with a gun either. That is the exact reason I quit rifle hunting 5 years ago. I was looking for someone to bowhunt with me on a 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile parcel of private land in Red Wing for a few years when my other buddies dropped out. I would have had no problem showing someone the spot and getting them permission to hunt. I think that is what a website like this is all about. Helping the other guy out. I have a buddy now who hunts with me and just got back into bowhunting after 5 years off because of kids and its not so painful paying for the gas to drive an hour each way to hunt 2-3 times a week. I am not saying your concerns are invalid, but by no means do you have to list a hunt or post in it. I am sure many people here will go to the IDO goose hunt on Dec. 5th and hunt with a stranger in a pit with no reservations at all.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hunting in a pit, (actually paying for it) is different IMHO than taking someone to your “hunting spots”… how many times have you gone fishing with someone and you come back 2 weeks later and guess who’s there with “another buddy” fishing in the spot you showed him ??? I don’t know why we couldn’t just post in each forum, the trip we would be offering or wanting ??? Maybe from a liable standpoint, it’s not a good idea to be hooking strangers up to go hunting…. really I don’t know…. I have hooked up with many IDO people over the years, never had a problem PM’ing and getting responses.

huntfish42
    SSP, MN

So then it would be more about the spot than anything else, that is a respectable position I think. I agree with that, I don’t think anyone would dispute that part of it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.