2009 FALL HARVEST Photo/Story Contest WINNERS

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Announcing the IN-DEPTH OUTDOORS & iDoHunting.com’s 2009 FALL HARVEST Photo/Story Contest

With this contest we will NOT be judging based on the measurements of the deers antlers, a bears skull, a roosters tail feathers, a tom’s weight or banded waterfowl. What we are looking for is the best 2009 Fall Harvest Photos and Stories of ANY legal animal or bird(s) harvested this Fall/Winter. Along with the photo we are asking all entrants submit a short story about the hunt. The winner will be voted on by a panel of judges from In-Depth Outdoors. The photo & the story will all be considered when deciding the winners for the contest. Only one picture per entry will be considered and only one entry per hunt/harvest allowed (If you harvest multiple deer, coyotes, bear, turkeys, pheasants, ducks, geese, etc. you can enter each hunt just once). There will be two divisions – Hunter (Over 16 years old) and a Jr. Hunter (16 years old & Under).

To submit an entry for the contest, simply reply here and post your photo and story of the harvest right here in this thread.

Like most photo contests, the pictures will have to be in good taste and convey the spirit of the hunt. The best picture you can take will be one of you in the field with your harvest using the natural scenery as your backdrop. Pictures of the Deer in the back of a truck probably won’t cut it and will not be considered.

This year our Sponsors and Contacts have simply out done themselves and donated a ton of prizes. We would like to thank every single person and or company that has donated for this contest.

IDO’s 2009 FALL HARVEST PRIZES:

The GRAND PRIZE Winner for the Best Overall Photo and Story in the Hunter (Over 16 Years Old) Division will receive a Gamehide Ridge Jacket and a set of Gamehide Ridge Bibs (overall retail value of $369.90 for the set). These are being donated by our Grand Prize Sponsor Gamehide from their Elite Series. The Gamehide Elite Series is the best of the best! These garments have all of the latest and greatest features, fabrics and waterproofing technology. They have gone to great lengths to make sure you’ll hunt silently and comfortably no matter the conditions. Gamehide offers three sub series- Soft Silent, Packable, and HyperHide, to meet every hunting situation.

The Ridge jacket is soft, silent and this mid-weight waterproof jacket is perfect for the big game hunter. It incorporates Gamehide’s Freedom Sleeve for increased comfort and mobility. The sling-gripping shoulder patches to secure your firearm. It has chest pockets, zippered cargo pockets and dump pockets. It features call holders loops and waterproof zippers. It is also lined with warm, soft, sherpa fleece. The Ridge bibs are the perfect bib to keep you warm and dry on the coldest days, yet light enough for comfort. They are lined with sherpa fleece, the full-leg zips make the bib easy to put on even with boots. The bibs also features a two-way front zip, quick release streamline buckles on the shoulder straps, waterproof zippers and cuff snaps for various inseams.

2nd Place Winner in the Hunter Division will receive a In-Depth Outdoors / Gamehide Base Camp Pullover Hoodie with the iDoHunting.com logo stitched on the chest.

3rd Place Winner in the Hunter Division will receive A Quaker Boy Game Call donated by IDO Hunting Pro Staffer Joel Nelson.

The GRAND PRIZE Winner for the Best Overall Photo and Story in the Jr. Hunter Division (16 Years & Under) will receive a Gamehide Youth Journey Jacket and a set of Gamehide Youth Journey Pants(overall retail value of $119.90 for the set). These agian were donated by our Grand Prize Sponsor Gamehide.

The Youth Journey jacket is the perfect lightweight jacket to keep a youth hunter dry all day long. The mesh lining is comfortable and slides on easily. The two large zippered pockets will hold a lot of gear and keep it dry. The fixed hood has a built-in visor. This jacket can be used for just about anything. It even works great for fishing too! The Youth Journey pants are quiet and comfortable, while these waterproof pants stuff into any pack. You can take them on every hunt so you’re always ready when the weather turns. The mesh lining is comfortable and slides on easily. Bottom cuffs have adjustable snaps for a custom fit. The waist area has a draw cord and elastic waist with belt loops for a secure, comfortable fit.

2nd Place Winner in the Jr. Hunter Division will receive a $50 Cabelas Gift Card donated by Markquart Chevrolet and Skeeter Boat Center out of Chippewa Falls, WI.

3rd Place Winner in the Jr. Hunter Division will receive a Quaker Boy Game Call donated by IDO Hunting Pro Staffer Joel Nelson.

Now, here is where this iDoHunting.com contest gets even better.

Everyone that submits a photo and story for the Contest that does not win the Grand Prize, will automatically be entered into a drawing for the following BONUS PRIZES:

1. $50 Gift Certificate from Covert Tactical Hunting Gear towards the purchase of a Covert Ground Blind.

2. $50 Gift Certificate from Kirk Peterson @ Peterson Taxidermy towards a Buck Shoulder Mount.

3. Autographed DVD Copy of Whitetail Driven Volume 3 from Pat Reeves & Nicole Jones @ Driven TV.

4. Autographed DVD Copy of Whitetail Driven Volume 3 from Pat Reeves & Nicole Jones @ Driven TV.

5. Autographed DVD Copy of Whitetail Driven Volume 3 from Pat Reeves & Nicole Jones @ Driven TV.

6. $50 Gift Certificate from Dean @ Everts Resort to be used at Everts.

7. $50 Gift Certificate from Schaffer Performance Archery to be used at their Archery Shop

8. $50 Gift Certificate from Muddy Outdoors to be used towards a Muddy Outdoor Product purchase from their website.

9. Hooyman Saws is donating their 5 foot saw model that folds down to 12 inches. Retail Value of around $50.

This contest is all about creating memories in the field and sharing them here with other passionate hunters of In-Depth Outdoors. In our book, anyone that enters this contest has already won. As usual the IDO Staff will not be eligible to win any prizes, but are encouraged to submit photos & stories as we will also choose a Staff winner.

So let’s start submitting those photos and stories of your 2009 Fall harvests today and get in on the fun and your chance to win some great prizes. All you need to do is simply hit reply to this thread and start posting your own 2009 Fall Harvest Stories & Photos!!

**Contest Entry Deadline is January 31st 2010**

To check out and support our Sponsors/Donaters for this contest, please click the links below.

Gamehidehttp://www.gamehide.com

Schaffer Performance Archerywwwww.schafferarchery.com

Covert Tactical Hunting Gearhttp://www.coverthunting.com

Muddy Outdoorshttp://www.gomuddy.com

Markquart Motorshttp://www.markquartmotors.com

Skeeter Boat Centerhttp://www.skeeterboatcenter.com

Peterson Taxidermy Studio, Arkansaw, WI 54721 Phone:715-285-5715

Pat Reeves & Nicole Jones @ Driven TVhttp://www.drivenhunter.com

Everts Resorthttp://www.evertsfishingresort.com

Hooyman Sawshttp://www.hooymansaws.com

Quaker Boy Game Callshttp://www.quakerboy.com

whittsend

I keep a journal of all hunting/fish related activities. I have been doing so for years, and its really fun to look back at the fun/crazy/silly/emotional and just plain memorable times that I have had, whether it applies to hunts with friends and family or just with myself. I don’t keep it so much to know what lures/rods/jigs worked best or when the deer moved the best, but instead to simply remember the hunt and re-live the emotions that I felt at the time. When my memory of the event fades, I can always look back and get a refresher. Here are the excerpts from this year’s journal. I thought this was the easiest way to relate my story including the ups, downs, and emotional joyride that this year’s bear season brought. I took a few liberties with the bear’s journal entries, but I figure its in the ballpark anyway. I hope you all enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed the hunt!

Mike

2009 Bear Hunting Journal

February 7, 2009. Got a notice in the mail today that I was drawn for a WI zone C bear tag. There are definitely some mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, its awesome any time you can get a WI tag. Generally a 5 year wait is about the minimum. Some zones take nearly 10 years! On the other hand, I also just sent in my deposit for a Newfoundland black bear hunt for a year from June. Pennies and vacation time needs to be saved for that trip, which may severely limit the resources I have available for a WI tag. I’m just not sure how much time I’ll have to bait and hunt without taking many (any?) vacation days to do it. This might be a tough call… We’ll see how this plays out.

[Bear…] ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ SNORT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ growl zzzz grunt ZZZZ… I’m a little hungry, but still too sleepy to do anything about it. Would someone turn up the heat please? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

June 12, 2009. One year countdown to Newfoundland starts today. Not sure if I’ll take a bow or gun. Sort of leaning towards a gun. If I down a bear quickly, I can do some fishing for huge brookies and Atlantic salmon. The salmon run won’t be full swing yet, but there might be some grilse in the streams. And I guess brookies are very plentiful… But it would be fun to take the bow, and all the other guys are taking bows. Getting a gun through customs might be a pain? I dunno, guess it might depend on what happens this fall with the WI bear season.

Got a flyer in the mail today for donating bear tags to a Make-A-Wish type of charity. Mental note to self… Look into that if it really looks like I won’t be hunting this fall. It will just depend on available time, I guess. I’ll have to decide closer to the date….

[Bear…] Hungry! foodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfoodfood. yawn, scratch scratch. Off to find some grub. Found a perfectly good pile of old doughnuts the other day, those were yummy. Don’t know why someone would cart them into the middle of my woods just to bury them under some logs, but people do strange things.

August 25 2009. Bought my bear tag today. I’m not sure of the exact logistics yet, but it looks like I’ll have some free time to hunt anyway. A glance at my September work schedule looks promising. A few nights here and there and a weekend or two, but its better than nothing. I even have opening day off! Where can I hunt though??? I think a few of the neighbors will let me hunt – I’ve talked to them about it a number of times before. Although there are some huge bears in the area, there aren’t a lot of bears, and there a lot of houses that might make them shy during daylight. I’d be lucky to get my bait hit if I hunt around here. Plus, I really feel like a joker asking permission to bear hunt two weeks prior to the season. They probably think I’m goofy. I feel unprepared and almost sheepish asking. Better late than never, I guess. We’ll see what happens. Can’t kill one if I’m not out there.

[Bear…] Berries!!! Mmmmmmmmmmm, lots of sweet blackberries around. And grapes!! And sweet corn up close to the houses!! Yumyumyumyumyumyumyumyum. Dude across the creek keeps bringing old doughnuts. Man, I’m sick of old doughnuts. I could go for a Ham’s though. That was one smart boar who came up with that “Ham’s, the beer refreshing” jingle.. Can’t get it out of my head… “From the land of sky blue waters…. Ham’s, the beer refreshing…. Ham’s, the beer refreshing…”

August 27, 2009. Slight setback. Out of my 4 possible sets, I just got denied at two of them. Can’t say I wasn’t expecting it, though. The one landowner’s brother bow hunts and doesn’t want my bear baiting to disrupt his opening day and/or season. Can’t say that I blame him, and I was pretty much expecting this the whole year, even though I kept getting the opposite answer whenever I brought it up. No big deal, I’d do the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

The other landowner also has been patterning a nice buck and his wife doesn’t want me bear hunting out there. Again, no big deal. I saw this one coming a mile away as well. Oh well, I’ve still got my backyard (which I’m not crazy about simply because I highly doubt they will come in during daylight hours) and another neighbor yet to ask. Might not be a bad idea to keep the backyard set on the down-low with the wife, I don’t she’s thrilled with the idea… The other neighbor’s land borders a new clear cut, and the re-growth is VERY thick… Might not be a bad place to setup? Disappointing news, but still keeping the spirits up. BTW, I’ve now fully decided to use bow only in Newfie. This WI bear season will give me confidence in the hunt, no matter what happens with a harvest. Still using the rifle in WI to try to get one under my belt ASAP.

[Bear…] Ham’s, the beer refreshing, Ham’s the beer refreshing…

August 29, 2009. Jackpot! My buddy just came though for me huge. The same guy (who’s wife didn’t really want me hunting bear on their land) called up a farmer friend of his, not too far from his house, about 15 minutes from mine. He’s got a good sized farm with a fair amount of woods. It borders a creek and has some REALLY big woods (for this area, anyway) surrounding the land. I’ll go out to meet him on Tuesday and check out the land a little. From the sounds of it, his neighbors are also baiting and have been seeing lots of bears, as well as some really big ones. 500 pounders, apparently. WOW!! I’m hoping to do some quick baiting and draw a few over the property line. We’ll see what happens, but man I’m pumped!

[Bear…] Old doughnuts got old. I quit eating them. A few days after I stopped, they brought out some better stuff – All night cookie buffet, baby! I think I’m starting to get a toothache, though….

September 1, 2009. I met the landowner Today. Super nice guy. We talked for a bit and he showed me where might be a good place to hang a stand. I didn’t argue since it also looked like a great spot to me (!), and I obviously want to respect his wishes. I hung the stand after talking with him, and found a nice spot to make a bait crib. There was a nice big downfall that was easy to cut up and made great 6 foot sections. (I got a tip on the IDO site about cutting the logs to certain lengths to help judge bears… Lots of useful information on that site!) Crib’s built, stand’s up and I even put a little bait/scent out.. Next step, smoke. Again, this rocks. I’m just pumped up to actually be baiting/hunting WI this year!!!

September 2, 2009. I went up to Vic’s bear bait distributor in Cadott after work today and bought some liquid smoke and a 55 gallon drum of cookie bits. I threw in a few tubs of icing for good measure. Also found some chocolate covered granola at a local store and picked up 150 lbs of that stuff. I should be good on bait for a while! I sprayed about a half gallon of smoke with the sprayer around the area. That stuff stinks, but in a good way! Put the Cuddeback out as well today. Bait has not been touched… yet.

[Bear…] New scents hitting the nose. Another doughnut pile??? Naw, smells like barbecue… Maybe I’ll go check it out tomorrow. These cookies are getting old.

September 5, 2009. Checked the baits today. Nothing happened the first two days, but boy did I get some trailcam pictures after that! About 75 bear pics in just a few days! Holy smokes, if I wasn’t fired up before, I am now!! This is gonna be awesome when I get to start hunting next Wednesday. I’ve got a half day of work Wednesday, which will be PERFECT for an evening sit. YEEEHAAAA!, I can’t wait! Re-smoked the area with the smoke I had remaining. Will it help to bring even MORE bear in?!?!?!? Expectations are running high, knock on wood!!!

[Bear…] Checked out that new smell. I found a new food source! Good fresh cookies, even icing and sugar coated logs! Yumyumyumyumyumyumyum. A little heavy on the smoke flavor, though, but lots of other bears eating this stuff so I better get my fill.

September 6, 2009 Checked the bait/camera. Weird. Only 4 pics. Camera malfunctioning? Hmmmm. A lot of bait left. I wonder if I’m putting too much out?

[Bear…] Ugghhh. Stomach ache from all the sweets and smokey flavors. Lots of acorns dropping, though. yumyumyumyumyumyum. Ham’s, the beer refreshing……

September 9, 2009. Opening day, baby! Super pumped, even though I’ve had few pics lately. Only 2 camera pics when I got to the stand. Whats going on? Maybe it was the second smoking that turned them off. Did I bait first, and then smoke the bait itself?? Geez, I probably did. Not good. Well, lets see what happens. First WI bear opening day is here! Mixed feelings after not seeing trailcam pics and no bears on my first (5 hour) sit. Whats the deal? Scratching my head a little bit…..

[Bear…] Acornsacornsacornsacornsacornsacorns…..

September 12, 2009. Baited this am before heading out of town. Very few pictures. After having such high expectations, this is really discouraging. Deflating is the exact right word. I feel like a hot air balloon that just had a massive hole punched in it. I never imagined bear hunting would give me such highs and lows in such short order… Anyway, I made up a sweet smelling concoction and sprayed it all over the area. I bucket brigaded out the old stinky smoked bait and re-baited with a small amount of fresh bait. No more smoke, but I’m hoping the sweet spray works better. With this “baiting restart”,I remain hopeful. I’ve got over a month left for the season. Still very optimistic. Definitely hunting tomorrow night. I know I get lazy at times, so I think I need to adopt a new motto to remind me… I should plaster this on the front cover of the Journal…. “You can’t kill ’em if you aren’t out there….”

[Bear…] Acornacornaco….sniff sniff… I smell food! Good food! Sweet food! I’m there! yumyumyumyumyumyumyum!!!!

September 13, 2009. Got back from MN around 5. Was debating about watching the Packers-Bears game (Packer season opener) vs going hunting. You can’t kill ’em on the couch, so hunting it is. Its been a long weekend, but the wife has been extremely good about watching the kids and doing more than her share while I indulge in my hunting habits. Huge thanks to her, I think I owe her a back rub and a clean house… Anyway, I hit the stand by about 6:00 pm. Still warm (whats the deal with the weather this year?), about 80 degrees. I took in about 1 gallon of bait. When I got to the crib, it was just destroyed. DESTROYED. The big 12″ logs were thrown all over, even the huge 16″ bottom logs were heaved way to the side. Bait was all gone. Camera showed 33 pictures since Saturday am. Jackpot, baby!!!! Oh man, did that get me pumped for the sit. Good things have GOT to happen tonight!! GOT TO!!!

I sat up in the stand for a few minutes thinking about how much I like my newly installed safety rope… Keeps me connected to the tree on the ascent/descent and while sitting on stand by way of a simple prusik knot and caribeaner. Nice! Easy! Safe!

The 100th mosquito just buzzed the tower in the last 30 seconds, time to get out the head netting. “Ghost rider, the pattern is full”… Maverick and Goose mosquitoes, I guess. Where’s Viper to shoot these guys down? Why can’t they go bother that caterpillar in the next tree over? Funny how the mind wanders while on stand. Adjusting the head net to keep the skeeters out is almost an art.. Have to have it far enough past the ears that you can’t hear the buzz. Don’t turn your head or your skin will get too close to the netting and you’ll start donating blood. Dang mosquitoes, I hate it when…….

What was that?? I heard some brush moving, definitely not a squirrel. A few seconds later a black shape and more loud crunching… A bear! Oh boy, here we go! I can feel the nerves now. I got the gun up, put the mosquito netting up… (Arrrghh… I can feel them probing into the skin on my ears….) I slowly put my hand to my face to protect it with a controlled swat. The bear circles in, glances up at me a few times, keeps coming. Slowly and cautiously, but without undue hesitation. I get a good look as he licks some ferns that I sprayed with my sweet bear attractant mix. He seems small. Is he really small, or is it because I am 20 feet up in a tree? He’s 5 yards from the base of my tree now, circling back to the bait. No other cubs or sows are coming.

He looks bigger now that he is in front of that 6 foot log. I told myself earlier this year that the first good bear I get a shot at is the one I’ll take. My first bear will be quite the “trophy” for me regardless of size. Well, I decided this is the one! Safety off! I pulled the .30-06 to my shoulder as my heart really beings to race. Nerves seemed to become more electrified as I know its going to happen any second. Logic in the back of mind mind does a quick safety check – Safely in the tree? Don’t lean at an odd angle… Back to the tree trunk for safety due to recoil… All systems are a go! Fire when ready! Now, bear… just put that front foot forward… There you go…. Cross hairs just behind the forward shoulder, center of the body…. BANG! – WOOF! He spun so quick he was a blur, then ran/tumbled around the bait pile until the hit the trail he came in on… Then silence… A few seconds later, the “death moan”, and that was it!

The whole season came down to that one ten minute hunt, that one split second trigger pull, that one final exhale of bear breath…. And then all was silent and I was once again left alone with my thoughts. Mosquitoes even seemed to give me a respite to consider what had just transpired, what I had just accomplished. All I could think about was getting down to see him.

As I got out of the stand, I was taking down my tree stand and heard some more noise. The bear getting up again? No… More black shapes! At least two more bears coming to the bait pile less than 5 minutes after I shot the other one! Here I stand, halfway up a tree with my tree stand in one hand and a fistful of pine sap in the other. I let them come in, but they seemed to hang up at the point of their fallen comrade. I could hear them sniffing not 25 yards away. Time to get to work, so I threw the stand to the ground and started shouting. The bears begrudgingly left, but not without more persistent shouting. The gutting, the drag out, rehashing of the hunt with the landowner, all the phone calls. Its all sort of a blur now. The emotions really didn’t come until it really sank in, later in the night.

Excitement was immediate, but the gravity of what I accomplished hit home strangely enough when I watched the Packers claim victory over the Bears. By that time, my bear was mostly skinned out hanging in my garage, about to be butchered, wrapped and frozen.. The radio announcers were nice enough to let me know that the Pack were behind late in the 4th, but driving. Two minute drill. I ran inside to watch the last minute heroics as the Pack pulled out the “W”. The Packer defensive interception at the end sealed the Bears fate, and that’s when I realized how great of a night I just had. I spend the morning with extended family we don’t see often enough. I spent the day with my immediate family who treats me like royalty. I spend the evening harvesting my first bear, doing so with a Wisconsin tag, no more than 15 miles from my home. I skinned it myself (and did a good job!) and accomplished a tremendous feat mostly on my own accord, something I have not been able to accomplish at earlier dates with major help from friends and guides. And I capped off the night watching the Packers pull out a last minute win on opening night. As I sat there I realized just how truly lucky I really was in all aspects of life. I couldn’t help but smile. As I cracked a Leinie’s and dried my eyes, for some reason the old Ham’s jingle popped into my head. I couldn’t help thinking how lucky I am to live, hunt and fish in the land of sky blue waters…

Life is good, and you can’t shoot ’em in front of the TV. Two valuable lessons learned.

September 14, 2009. Postscript, in a sense. As I look back just days (hours!) since I ended my 2009 bear season, I find it to be such a bittersweet emotion. I really didn’t expect to miss bear hunting this much after the harvest. My total season was extremely short – Sept 2-13. Only eleven days of baiting and just two sits in the stand! My first sit was a disappointing 5 hour-no-bear-80-degree-mosquito-filled-sweatfest, and my second sit was only 10 minutes. I went from pre-season highs with lots of bear pics, to opening day lows back to harvest highs in very short order. This is such an exciting hunt, I just don’t think people know what they are missing by not hunting bear.

I will definitely miss the excitement of baiting, the novelty of trailcam pics, and bear stand sits themselves the rest of the month. It was always neat to have that unknown feeling until the next time you get out to check the cameras… Is the bait hit? Any big ones? How many? During the day? What time exactly? Will they be there next time I’m in the stand?? I am thankful for the free time that I’ll now have to spend bow hunting deer and spend with the family, but I also realize that it will be 5 years minimum before my next WI bear hunt. What a hunt, a great tradition, quite the learning experience, and a huge sense of accomplishment to do this on my own. Huge thanks to the landowner for the opportunity as my bait site was on private land. Thanks also to all of those who have helped me in various ways – family support, my wife watching the kids while I go “play”, those who offered advice, tips, tricks, etc, those who helped me hunt the private land/meet the landowner, etc..

All in all, it was quite the ride to say the least, and it definitely leaves me ready to use my bow on my next bear hunt. This 2009 bear hunt has been such a roller coaster ride from start to finish. Ups and downs involved with getting a tag, finding a place to hunt, baiting, and the hunt itself… When its all said and done, I certainly wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. I think the smile in my photo says it all.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Way to start it off with a beauty Whittsend!

lick

As most of you know by now I’m a bit of a deer junkie. My season starts in July with food plots and stand work and keeps on going until the season opens. This year was no different, food plots were in July 22nd. Mother nature put up a bit of a fight, but then she cooperated very nicely with a good mix of rain and sun making some of my best food plots I’ve ever had. Which finally brings us to opening day.

After a nice morning sit with an awesome encounter of a nice 2.5 year old buck, a few pictures were taken but the buck never cleared a cedar tree offering me a shot. So after climbing down, I got out my saw and trimmed the tree out a little better so I could shoot both sides of it ( boy did this move pay off). So with myself being a Sally and whining about the hot weather, I didn’t venture back into the woods for the rest of the weekend. Well actually Sun afternoon we took the truck up and hung a few trail cameras and headed back home to watch the packers. Monday and Tuesday brought days from hell at work. Tuesday evening I made a trip to Joel Nelsons with the water wagon to try to jump start a plot at his place. Wednesday I made another trip to do a little last minute food plotting at Brad’s place (but thats a whole different story in itself I’ll post that sometime over the weekend).

After declining a chance to troll for walleyes on Mille Lacs with Brad on Thursday (also turned out to be a good move) a late night drive for home was made to get a full days work in on Thursday and since Ladyluck had the day off, a plan to hunt Thursday afternoon was made.

After another brutal day at work I got home, hit the shower and headed for the woods. Ladyluck decided to head to the opposite end of the land where we have numerous doe pictures and she hoped to whack one. I picked the same stand up on the ridge that I had sat opening morning. Being as lightly dressed as possible with scent core pants, knee high rubber boots, no shirt, I carried the rest of my clothes to to the top where I would finish dressing (a balmy 78 degrees not quite perfect weather).

The top of the ridge has 2 stands and 2 food plots. I tried to talk Lori into climbing the mountain with me but she opted not too ( bad move of the day). I get to the top, make a quick stop at her plot to check the cudde – 41 pics – sweet! I get dressed and head to my end only 17 pics. Hmmm…. should I go back and hunt her spot? Nope – stick with the plan because I know I have pics of numerous shooter bucks on my end. Turned off the cudde and climbed up into my stand. Wow it’s hot – no breeze – nothing.

Finally the sun started to fall enough to cool things off and it was about 6:30. I slid my savanna scent lok jacket on and waited. Heard a flock of turkeys go by just out of eyesight. As the night went by, I saw a few squirrels as I dodged a few falling acorns. Then all of a sudden… there he is and he’s a shooter! He feeds out into the middle of the biologic maximum plot and now he’s inside of 20 yards quartering at me. I quickly and quietly grab my reezen and click on my release. Come on now…. he just needs to clear the tree… nope… then up comes his head along with his nose in the air (uh oh)…. and he turns to leave. I curse the swirling wind and at the same moment I see my chance. I quickly draw, he finally comes clear and at 20 yards stops quartering away. It’s now that I visit the zone… I kind of remember aiming my bow, but the next thing I know my arrow whacks him right in the mid ribs and it exits out the opposite shoulder. I listen to him run down the hill and hear the crash – game over!

I sit down for a few minutes until the shaking stops. Here’s your tip of the day – the easiest way to sit 30 minutes after a shot is to get out your cell phone and call a few (15) friends. I head back to the truck where Lori’s waiting for me (this part here is priceless). I set my bow on the tailgate to be greeted by “still have all your arrows I see”. Then it hits “that one’s full of blood!” “You shot a big buck didn’t you!”

The search party shows up and we drive up top and followed the blood trail 100 yards to my buck . We dragged him down to where we could take some pictures, gutted him (my favorite part) then loaded him in the truck. Since it was so warm, we took him to the registration station then to the locker plant.

I’ll end with this – it is very rewarding to shoot a deer over a food plot that I planted. The hard work will pay off and even if it’s 80 degrees. The deer are still deer and will do what deer do everyday. So even though it’s hot and buggy, you never know when it can happen, so you have to be there. Here are some pics of my buck and me along with the trail camera pics from the week. Thanks everyone for the calls and for the congratulations – just another reason to love this site

Not bad for a “turkey guy”

whittsend

Nice!! Good story and photo!

Congrats!!!!

Mike

lick

Quote:

Nice!! Good story and photo!

Congrats!!!!

Mike

thanks mike same to you we both worked very hard for our trophys and how fitting is it that in our pics we are both drenched with sweat again

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

So where do i start I wasn’t expecting much this weekend because of the massive acorn crop and the incredible heat I had asked members here on IDO about it paying off to watch this field the night before opener. Well all i saw were two does at the last minute of shooting time enter the hayfield/alfalfa field. Still my spirits were up to hunt this much anticipated spot My brother(asphixiation) said, “if they’re coming out to the field at that end, they’re probably coming out on the other end as well”. The spot i sat on has been very lush and green and with the no rain that we’ve had, it has been short and im sure sweet

This is the same field that i have a picture up of a 3.5 y/o double main beam buck that we have named “Dubs” and a few other shooters. The night was a SSE wind which was perfect for this spot. At between 7:30 and 7:35 pm, i hear a deer coming from behind me where i figured they were going to come from. I was expecting a doe, but i didn’t know it was going to be a 3.5 y/o shooter He walked by me at 10 yards to my right and was moving decently fast. I position myself for the shot and he presents a perfect 20 yard shot after i stop him

The next 3-5 seconds is where it was kind of a blur. I had the pin on his heart and could have easily have punched the trigger. But it amazes me how quick we are able to make judgments in the blink of an eye that can make all the difference. In that blink, i remember how to make the perfect shot by focusing on my trigger finger and keep the pin in the same spot. The next thing i know, I see my Tracer nock smoke him perfectly behind the shoulder He kicks his hind legs and runs away, but i lose him after 20 yards of watching him run into the woods

So an hour and a half later my brother, my old roommate and i go in pursuit of this deer. After looking at the arrow, we all expect to find the deer within 75 yards. To our surprise there was hardly any blood A few drops here and there but overall, we were not impressed So about 125 in, i was scared that i had lost a great buck and i was second guessing that maybe he was a touch quartering too and caught one lung So we still find blood, more blood and then i say “There he is right there!!!!!”

I was so excited to kneel beside this deer and i know both guys were so excited to be there and help His body was probably around 225 and he has a point that i would like to see what people think about it for the contest

Does it count as a 8 or 9 It’s 7/8″ but maybe you guys will let it slide this one time

little_g
    durand WI

Pope & Young Buck Downed with Recurve

The hunt all started this spring shed hunting on our new lease in Buffalo County, WI. Even though I never found these guys’ sheds, we did have a good idea what was in the area with the twelve different buck sheds I did find.

So, to fast forward to opening weekend, I had a really good buck spotted for some friends across the road from where I shot my buck which they ended up harvesting Sunday night. It turns out the buck was a lot bigger than anyone anticipated but more on that when Craig’s story comes out.

Now, to my day of the hunt: I got up Friday morning, called my brother and told him that our water hole was dry, and I had a good buck spotted for him to shoot. With that said he came down and we started hauling water to the water hole and hanging a stand for the buck I spotted the night before. When we finished, we headed back to the house for some target practice and my other brother called us up at about 3:30 and said he’s got a monster spotted. So, we threw our bows in the truck and raced over there so he could make us a bow drive, but the buck gave us the slip.

Off to the stands we go. Jared and Josh go to the new double hung stand that we put up that morning–Jared armed with a bow, Josh with the camera. I go to the water hole, and I no more than get comfortable and a doe with a fawn come in. Twenty minutes later in comes a buck; shooter waiting for the shot. Ok, he is in the shooting lane, though tight. I draw, anchor, release, and Thwack! I got him but not sure on the shot placement. I waited for dark to start tracking. Within twenty yards I found my snapped, wooden arrow. It looked like good penetration, so we kept on him. After about 300 yards, we found where he bedded three times and went about twenty yards to a set-aside field, so we decided to back out and wait for morning.

With little sleep, morning finally comes and I get my girlfriend’s dad Marty, my brother Josh, my cousin Chad, and we start tracking. Marty went to a tower stand so if we bumped him he would have a bird’s eye view to see where he went. We started tracking across the set-aside towards the corn field with no blood. When we got to the corn, we split up–my brother to the right and cousin to the left, in two rows. My brother yells, “I found him but the coyotes did a number on him.” So, we took the buck out of the corn for some pictures trying to cover up what the coyotes have done. The pictures turned out great and my taxidermist, Kirk Peterson, was able to use the cape. As for the rest of the deer, not eatable.

Even though it was a short season for me, I’m very proud of the first buck I have ever shot with my recurve and probably the first to net into the Pope and Young books.

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

Early this spring, I received an offer which couldn’t have come at a better time. I was in the dumps, which most hardcore hunters feel at this time of year due to not getting the amount of hunting that we all know we require to survive. UP MAN told me he had just heard there may be a lease opening up in Deer Mecca, AKA Buffalo Co. I had never hunted in Wisconsin before but had always wanted to. This was the perfect chance to fulfill my hunting withdrawals. If I am not hunting, I love to be hanging stands and scouting with my friends. As soon as we received word the lease was available we took it, I couldn’t wait to go down and see what Buffalo Co. is all about.

The first couple times down were just a tease for what was to come. The land laid out perfect. On the first trip this spring we just scouted and hung a couple of tree stands. The second trip was what really got me all jacked up because we hung tree stands up and put out our trail cameras. After a couple long, hot days of hanging stands, we were pretty much all set. This actually gave me the hunting bug much worse because now I had to go back to the U.P. and wait to come back to see the pictures. The first time seeing the pictures we knew we had one huge buck that was hands down a Monster. We had many trail camera pictures of this buck all summer long. We have pictures from monster to MONSTER. After seeing all the pictures, I started my official countdown till opening day. Prior to season, I had bought a new bow, how ironic, I bought the Mathews Monster. I was pumped to climb in the stand with my new weapon I shot everyday prior because it seemed to make the season come quicker.

The week before the season started, I can’t be sure that I got anything productive done because all I could think about was getting back in the tree stand, kicking off another hunting season. After many days of looking at the trail camera pictures, I was very sure I would shoot almost any deer on them due to being from the U.P. because we don’t have bucks, or at least like these bucks. I really wanted to shoot the buck that we called Triple Crown but I always said I’ll be happy with anything that would be P&Y. We called the one buck Triple Crown because of the fact he had a brow tine that had three splits on it, he was the buck that all three of our members on the lease agreed we’d love to shoot.

Earlier in the week we drew straws to see who would get first picks on the stands. I am having a lucky year, I guess because I had first pick all weekend. Friday couldn’t come quick enough. We left the U.P. about 5:30 pm after we all had gotten off work. The long trip seemed that much longer because the next day would be the first day back in the stand for the year. We got into Buffalo Co. late that night and got all of our hunting gear set for the next day. We were not going to hunt our lease in the morning so we wouldn’t bump deer off the bean fields going to our stands. So, we went to the local hunting shop and shot our bows a little. I didn’t expect this but one of the staff members at the shop shoots a monster too, and he had asked me what broad heads I was shooting. I told him Rage then I got blindsided because I never thought to shoot them through paper to see if they would open in flight due to the force that the Monster produces when shot. Long story short, I’m now the proud shooter of GRIM REPEAPER heads. By the time we finished up shooting, it was mid afternoon and hot, but we elected to sneak onto the property and check our cameras. Boy were we surprised to find someone had messed with one of our cameras and deleted all the pictures off of it and left the front cover open. The other two cameras made my decision on my stand very easy because they both had recent pictures of Triple Crown. The stands I chose were on the top of a ridge were we had placed a water hole (which was actually dried up). That first night was very slow in the stand (I now am very good at texting). I couldn’t believe it because UP MAN sent me a text about 15 minutes after getting settled into my stand and said he’d seen him! Right away I knew who he was talking about (Triple Crown) and my reply was “Dead”? But I later found out that the deer would not come any closer than 60 yards to him. I was fine with that but I was still kind of hoping he’d get it because at least one of us would have gotten him, and it would take the pressure off and I wouldn’t have to test my patience as much knowing that he would have been gone. I didn’t have to worry about this tonight. Things didn’t pick up in my neck of the woods and I only saw one doe that night.

The next day I decided a change of venue was in store for me, because the water holes were dried up I decided to sit in one of the stands that I always thought would be a great early season stand. It was right at a pinch point where the woods met the beans. It was another hot day in the high 70’s so I wore light clothing in and would change when I got into my stand. Once I got up in my stand I really wasn’t expecting much other than a long ride home after the hunt. I was only in my stand about 40 minutes when I saw my first Buffalo Co. buck. He was a deer we called Super Freak, he was a 9 point but had a goofy rack 6 on one side and 3 on the other. I watched Super Freak out broadside in front of my tree stand for about 10 or 15 minutes. I really didn’t want to shoot him because it was so early in the season and didn’t want to miss a rut hunt because of him. The first few minutes he was out feeding but then he started getting nervous and looked back up the ridge into the woods. This went on for about 10 minutes. Then it happened, Triple Crown stepped out right from my dreams. I knew right away it was him when he stepped out and he was only at 35 yards broadside. I had already picked up my bow and was ready for the shot. Although he was broadside, I didn’t have a shot because of a couple limbs which were conveniently covering his vitals leaving me only a shoulder shot. I knew that my Mathews Monster paired up with nearly 500 grains of Easton FMJ would have put a hurting on him, but I just couldn’t take a shot like that on a dream deer. A short time later he stepped out into the clear still broadside at 35 yards. In one smooth motion I was at full draw and my dream buck was right in front of me. He had no idea that I was there and he was more content with feeding. I anchored in and took one last breath and squeezed the back tension out of my truball release. THWACK….. I knew right away I had smoked him and the shot looked perfect right behind the shoulder. I know had a very bad case of “Buck Fever” because I am still shaking! I didn’t know what to do next and I couldn’t think. The first thought was to send a text message to UP MAN. I grabbed my phone and guess what… NO SERVICE!

By this time I had already heard the very distinct sound of a deer crashing. This all took place in about 15 seconds. I didn’t want to bump the deer at all so I hung my bow on the holder and thought I would just hang out for awhile before going and looking at my arrow. This lasted 5 minutes maybe…FYI – it’s hard as hell to sit still after shooting a Monster. I then decided to go sneak up to my arrow and just see how it looked. I only made it to the first step of my climbing sticks and jumped out (defeating my whole purpose of being quite). Once on the ground, I realized that I had left everything in my tree stand other than my camera and phone. I crept quietly to my arrow and it was covered in bright pink lung blood and the beans were covered with beautiful blood red splatter. Yeah… I got lost in my thought that maybe I was having a heart attack instead. So I reached right for my phone in hopes of cell service but of course..NO SERVICE once again.

I was so jacked, I really couldn’t think by this time so I walked back towards my tree stand and down the field edge trying to regain my composure and more importantly find some cell service (which didn’t happen). I quietly climbed back into my tree stand in hopes that it would get dark soon. It was only 7:05 when I shot him so I had quite a wait ahead of me. I managed to stay up in my stand till 7:40, then packed up all my gear and went back to the arrow. I took a picture of it to show UP MAN to find out what he thought. I then headed back to where UP MAN and me split to go our separate ways – I knew I had cell service there. Although the walk took 10 or 15 minutes on the way to my stand, it took a whole 5 minutes on the way back. I had service right away so I sent a text to UP MAN and the other members of our group. I then called home and could barely talk to tell them I smoked a Monster. UP MAN was down in the field in a matter of minutes to greet me in speechlessness. I am not sure how much I had got out. I was shaking and trying to explain what a huge deer he was. We then went back to the truck where little g met up with us. I told him I got him and he didn’t believe me until he saw me shaking. We waited until our entire group was there so we could go get him together. It was the longest time in my life. I just wanted to get my hands on that hog.

We then got the four-wheeler and headed out to recover my Monster Buck. Once we reached the spot where I had shot him, myself and probably the best taxidermist (Kirk Peterson from Peterson’s Taxidermy) in all the land along with UP MAN, picked up the blood trail, which didn’t last long because he only ran maybe 20 yards and dropped! I just started yelling and I couldn’t talk. The rest of our group came up to where we were standing next to my giant. I am not real sure how long it took before I came around enough to talk but I know one of my first words to UP MAN were “think this will get me a date with Tiffany…(Lakosky)?” Watch out Lee – there’s a new sheriff in town.

We got my buck out after getting all the pictures that are now conveniently covering my house and UP MANS shop. I can’t thank all of my friends enough for all the help in getting this pig out of the woods (you know who you are) and a big thanks to little g for the hook ups, and our land owner – he is awesome and I am glad he was part of the recovery of my deer. Last but definitely not least – UP MAN! This would have never been possible without you inviting me in on the lease and I look forward to repaying all of you by helping with your giants next time we go to B.C. I hope you all enjoyed my story. I tried not to leave anything out but I am all worked up just by the mire thought of this day and I will never forget it. Also thanks to all the IDO members for being patient waiting for the story. Triple Crown was aged at 4.5 yrs old dressed out 185 lbs. and is a main frame 8 but with his stickers he has 12 scoreable points. Enjoy the Pictures!

Craig

aka…mossyoak

nittany_lion

My name is Nolan and I like to hunt. I am 7 years old and I live in Kansas. This is my story of hunting for whitetails with my dad.

It was the last day of the youth hunting season in Kansas (Sunday – 9/20/09). We went to the field in the afternoon and sat down on the ground. After about 30 minutes, I saw a buck. I started shaking! I tried to get my aim on the deer but it kept moving. Then, the deer smelled us and left. I was very disappointed.

Then there was another buck. It came out into the field. I took aim and shot it. It walked wobbly legged over to the other side of the field into really tall grass. We stayed sitting for awhile to make sure that it was dead. Before we left, an even bigger buck came into the field. The bigger buck kept looking at us and stomping its feet and walked right at us. That buck got closer than the one I shot!

We found my buck right by where I shot it. We took pictures and brought the deer home after showing it to some of my friends.

I like to hunt because it is fun! Nolan
    (Interviewed by Dad and posted by Uncle Jeff)

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great entries guys!

Keep’em coming. Even if it is just a short paragraph story and picture, get your outdoor memories entered into the contest. There are many prizes to be given away here and this contest is about sharing our adventures we have in the field with other IDO members.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Well 6 of us hunted near Ignace Ontario this year. We left on Saturday AM from Alexandria, and headed north throught International Falls. We arrived at the Lodge at about 3:00 in the afternoon and unpacked the trucks and trailer. After we got settled in we met w the guide and drew stand sites. They all varied in location from 12-35 miles back into the bush off logging roads.

So Sunday was the first day we started hunting so I got dropped off at 11:00 am. My stand site was very cool looking. I got dropped off and walked about a half mile down this old logging road then veered off the main trail to the bait site another 200 yds away. I walked through thick brush then it opened up to 40′-50′ tall red pines that towered over me. The terrain was all emerald green moss, and real boggy. If you got off the trail to the bait box your boots would suck right in. I saw that the bait box wasn’t hit and I climbed into my stand.

At about 5:00 pm a black blob appeared about 60 yds away. He stopped and looked right at the bait box.Then his nose went up and he was slowly making a halfmoon circling the bait making his way downwind. I could tell he was a smaller bear 125-150 lbs. He had big pointy ears, no belly at all, and real cautious of the bait site. He finally made it to the bait 16 yards away from me,and before he lifted the logs he looked right up in the tree at me great I thought im busted. But to my surprise he grabbed a mouthful of meat and tookoff about 10 yds away and ate it.He did that about 3 times. Then he would walk over to my tree and sniffed the base of it and look up at me. But the third time he did that all i heard was his claws digging into my tree and sure enough he was on his way up to check out the blob in the tree. His head got right below the platform and I was just sitting there bow in hand just waiting this thing out . But as fast as he was up the tree he went right back down to clean out the bait box. WOW what a rush. He was pry around me for about 35 min. and then he walked off. It was starting to get dark and I was thinking about getting down when I heard a twig snap. Then another bear came in and I knew that was the one. Nice long hair, and looked twice the size of the last one. She walked right by the bait box, saw it was hit and kept walking right to my left quarting away. She then stopped about 15 yds away bc of a downed log in her path and thats when I was able to pull back and let the arrow fly. The arrow hit right behind the shoulder but only went halfway in. The bear spun around biting at the arrow and i put 2 more into her,and she exhausted right there. What a great feeling knowing we didn’t have to track her through the bog. Its my first bear w bow, and was a great trip we went 5 for 6. And also had some great walleye and pike fishing. And one guy we went with shot a blond color phased.

Also one bear was left for 2 hrs before we tracked it and a timberwolf found it before we did and ate about 10 lbs of meat off the bear. I was using the Mathews DXT, Beman arrows and Rage 2 Blade Broadheads.

smfrost
    Minneapolis

Saturday was an awesome day in the stand!!! Just having that many deer around us without them knowing we were there was awesome. I originally had wanted to hold out for a buck but with so many deer and opportunity right in front of me I decided to give in and get a doe out of the way. It was awesome for everything to finally come together after all the hard work.

Now I’m even more pumped to land a monster buck!! I think Rob thinks I have my standards set a little high…but hey, I know what I want

Thanks again honey for all your time and patience I couldn’t have done it without you

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I love reading all these stories!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Doe i shot 10-2-09 She must have ducked the arrow or i hit her high? I took out both shoulders and had to put another arrow into her Its exciting to be on doe patrol the rest of the season

herefishyfishy
    MN

I was in stand looking the other way of course and a nice buck snuck up the hill from behind me at 630. I saw him at forty yards and at about thirty i knew I was shooting. He was moving through some branches right before my small opening and i pulled back. This was off the left side of my stand. He walked into the opening but angled immediatley towards me and walked past tree at ten yards (so to my back behind tree). I knew he would come into another shooting lane that runs along a trail behind me but I had to turn all the way around with him at ten yards and my bow at full draw. I got turned around and as he aproached the trail he looked right up at me and did a little bobbing to see what i was. He seemed to relax a little and not quite quartered to the trail. At about eighteen yards I checked anchor point and put twenty on him and released. I cant quite clearly remeber exactly where I impacted him but I think it was about four inches back from where I wanted it and just over the halfway point on height. My arrow was bright red blood but after looking after dark twenty yards from impact we only found one really dark spot of blood so we backed out and that brings us to here. Appologise for rambling but atill worried pumped tired and wired.

Post The Next Day

Well the title says it all!!!! What a difficult tracking job though. If it wasnt for my half bloodhound hunting buddy bob I would not have found him! We trail him for three hundred yards half of which was on our hands and knees finding pindrops! I had hit both lungs so the shot was as good as i thought but entry was high and blood was all pooled up inside. He made it to a big field and we lost the blood so I began to moop around the opposite side of field in the woods hoping to stumble upon him while bob stayed around last blood nose to the ground. An hour later I walked back to bob and he was talking about doubling back and being a smart buck and how I made a good shot….hmmmm well he had tracked back the way we came a ways and found the buck which had doubled back into some thick shrubs and expired there. Three and a half hours later my dreams came true!!!! 128 ten point with ok mass and 18 3/4 inside spread.!!!! Oh and Bob has passed this buck three seperate times so I could shoot him and have my personal best. What a friend!

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Great entries folks! Just a reminder only one photo may be submitted per entry!

jcthorson
    Austin, MN

I didnt think it would ever come, but it did. September 19th. I had my mind made up to go out in the morning to deer hunt but that idea was interupted when we got permission to hunt a field the geese were using. So i decided to that instead since it was only opening day and all. Well, we did not shoot a darn thing that morning but hopefully my luck would change for the evening bow hunt. Me and a buddy went out and were in our stands by 5:30, my friend, who has never shot a deer went to a stand right in the corner of a bean field were the deer always walk out of the woods at. I was thinking for sure he was gunna wack his first deer. I in the other hand went down the edge of the wood line about two hundred yards and crawled into my stand. As i started climbing into the tree I noticed that one of the two by fours that held a plank in a crotch of the tree was completley off the tree. Not knowing to trust it or not i climbed up to it and stood on a branch right next to the plank. Around 6:15 a doe ran behind me only giving me a quick glimpse of her. Not knowing what spooked her, I waited. At about 6:35 the deer started coming out into the field. There was a total of 13 deer in the field all does and fawns, but none were heading my way. Then out of the corner of my eye i see two deer exit the woods on a trail 45 yards from my stand. A few seconds later they are heading my way. I looked at the deer and detirmened that one was this years fawn and the other was last years. So i chose to take a whack at her if she offered it. As luck would have it she headed my way. As soon as she disappered behind a overhanging oak branch I drew my Mathews DXT. Then she appered. At this time she was at a slow walk at about seven yards. I hit the Scoot release and let the goldtip topped with a rage two blade fly! The arrow had hit just a tid bit back and since she was slightly quartering towards me it exited in the front part of her guts. The deer ran only 80 yards started to stummble and down she went. As my heart was thumping I called my buddy. Unfortuantly he never even seen a deer except fot a few off in the distance over by me. Which was very surprising considering that is my favorite stand because i always see deer there. Anyways, my luck did change and i did whack one. Not to mention the first kill with the DXT! And man do them RAGE BROADHEADS do the TRICK!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Oct 7 Got out a little later then I hoped but thought better hunting then at home with kids fighting. Well the hunt started off pretty good wasn’t in the stand 15-20 minutes and a nubby come feeding through and was around the stand for almost a hour. He was just getting ready to enter the food plot when I could hear something thought it was probably a buck I got ready. About 10 minutes later I could see a doe coming across the plot she feed around the plot for about 20 minute she kind of walking off still making a bleating sound. Wasn’t long she come back through the plot to the stand stopping broad side at 18yd put her head behind a tree I drew my bow settled the pin and released as she run off she was pumping knew she wouldn’t go far. Put up my bow to set a while ten minute later 2 more does come by at 25yds but they didn’t want to stop.
    Thought one deer was enough for tonight.
    Good night hunt in stand less then 2 hour seen 4 deer shot at 5:55pm recovered 6:30 waited for wife to show up for a few pictures skinned in cooler showered and ready for bed by 9:00pm

It’s only a doe but freezer needs meat

sootie
    arcadia wi,

Hello my name is katie. I am 12 years old. Last Christmas I got my first gun. It was called a youth gun. It has 3 different barrels, it is so cool. One of the barrels is a 243 rifle, That is what i used for the youth hunt. My dad put a scope on my gun for me, we go to the range and practice. Dad says i need to practice so i hit well. Saturday October 10 was the youth hunt so my mom and dad and me went out that morning. It was very cold and snowy, and we did not see any deer. We went back out that night my whole faMILY went with,my mom my dad and my two sisters , lizzy and sara. We went up to a shooting house we built called the hen house. First of all we seen a badger digging in a hole THAT was pretty cool.. We watched that for a while then all the sudden someone yelled MOUSe..
    Everyone but my dad ran out of the shack but my dad. My dad said the little mouse is not going to bother us , and to get back in the shack. So we did , a little bit after that my dad spotted 2 deer. he told me to get ready, There were three deer , 1 doe and 2 fawns. He told me the doe was on the left if that was the deer I wanted.. I was so nervous i couldn’t even remember which side was my left…
    The doe stopped facing me , she was about 140 yards away my dad told me. I aimed right at her front and took the shot.. I couldn’t believe it she kind of fell and took off. My dad said I hit her my mom and sisters were holloring they were so excited. My mom found a blood trail
    and about 20 yaRDS from that we all seen the deer laying there. Everybody said i made a good shot and that it was a very big doe. she weighed 145 lbs. It was very exciting and everbody was very proud of me. I shot my first deer out of the same spot that my mom shot her big buck out of last year , and my grandpa who is 83 shot a deer there last year also. I think I might have to share this hunting
    shack(the old hen house stand) with my grandpa this gun hunt…..The hunt wasfun because my whole family was with me. The youth hunt was better for me because the deer weren’t so scared or running so fast like during gun hunting. The next night I got to help my dad cook up some of the deer steaks. It was one of the best weekends ever..

lick

thats a great story congrats Katie

MOUSE

Poor Sootie I understand the name hen house because of all the chicks he had in there with him

whittsend

Awesome story!! Congrats!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations Katie! What a great story too!

Great job building a family memory that everyone will cherish and remember forever!

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

Great story Katie. Congratulations.

asphixiation
    Stillwater, MN

Went out Saturday night 10/17 to a corner near a alfalfa field. Around 6:15 4 does walked into the field 100 yards out. At 6:45 the woods to my south became alive with the sounds of deer walking. I watched 3 does take the farther trail from me into the field that was at 45 yards with no shot. Around a minute later I hear a deer walking in the same area but it is closer at 35 yards. I raised my binocs and saw it was a doe, stopped her in the shooting lane, drew my bow and released. When the arrow hit the deer, it sounded like it hit a wood panel it was so loud. Protourbaits and I looked for a blood trail and found little that night but it was so dark and we had already gone 100 yards from where I shot her. So we backed out and cam the next morning. Went to last blood and the blood trail picked up and we found her 30 yards from where we had found blood the night before. Big doe! The arrow hit about the last rib and exited low because my stand is high. The arrow caught some liver and mostly guts but hit a decent artery because the arrow was bloodier than most double lung arrows. I would guess the live weight between 160-170 pounds. The head on her is big and she has a long nose. Now its rut time!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

WOW Giant Doe!

lick

nicely done asphix

you maybe over the legal limit for pictures thou

asphixiation
    Stillwater, MN

whoops! please only use the first picture to enter into the contest. thanks

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

whoops! please only use the first picture to enter into the contest. thanks

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

This year marked our 10th year in a row we’ve been going to North Dakota to pursue waterfowl in the world famous prairie pothole region. It’s a special place and I look forward to this trip every year, as it’s one of my favorites. We’ve had many memorable hunts, including many limits of ducks and geese in all sorts of weather conditions, but this year provided a first and a lifetime memory that will never be forgotten.

It all started late last summer when I was browsing the internet forums, dreaming about the fall to come, and I came across a post reminding all those NoDak hunters out there to apply for the fall Swan permit. I thought to myself, how cool would that be! I knew it was legal to hunt them in ND by special permit, but never knew a Non-resident could get a permit…….but much to my surprise we could, and it sounded like those who took the time to apply had a great chance of getting drawn. And just like that, 3 quick weeks later I had a Swan permit in the mail. Sweet.

Fast forward to Oct. 20, 2009, as we pack the truck and small trailer stuffed to the top with floating duck decoys, field canada and snow goose decoys, blinds, dogs, and all the misc. other stuff…..there lay my two custom swan decoys (old canadian floaters painted white). There’s only room for so much stuff on a trip like this, but the way I’ve seen swans react to those decoys here on the river, I KNEW they would “find a way” to squeeze themselves in…..no matter how skeptical the other guys in the group were. “Can’t you just jump shoot one?” they said……..NOPE, not if I don’t have to.

Wednesday was our first day hunting. We had a great mallard shoot in the fog that morning. In fact a limit of ducks hit the flooded pond. Unfortunately, our scouting that evening provided less than stellar results for the next mornings shoot. Somehow I convinced the group to set up on a medium size pasture pond with no cover holding maybe 100 ducks, and 30-40 swans. Experience told us that the duck shooting wouldn’t be spectacular with this set up, but I knew THIS was going to be my opportunity at decoying a swan.

The morning comes, and we have to make a long walk back into the spot (it had been super wet and driving in fields wasn’t an option). Two bags of water keel duck dekes, a robo and my two swans made the close to 1/2 mile trek out. As expected we scared a few ducks and swans off the water when we walked in. With just minutes until shooting time, we threw out dekes and hid as best we could in the little cover we had.

The first 45 mins of shooting time were very disappointing. A few ducks worked, and a couple were shot. A single swan came back right away, but it was still fairly dark out, and I wanted to make sure if I was going to get one it was going to be big white one (not a juvie) so I passed on a longerish opportunity.

After about an hour a flock of 6 flew over at a killable range, but again, being the picky hunter I am I wanted them over the decoys, not pass shot….so I passed on the shot hoping my mouth calling would turn them. It didn’t.

Then only about 10 minutes later, while we sat silently in the cool morning marsh……still no ducks flying…..I heard a lone swan bark. I look to my left and there’s a single white giant one flying out over the pond. I quickly swap out my 2 3/4″ duck loads for the 3″ Black Cloud BBB’s I bought specifically for this moment…..all the time mouth calling to the bird. They’re very vocal, and everytime I’d call he’d call right back.

Unfortunately he was flying the other way at that point……but when he hit the other edge of the pond, he made a big loop out over the field to the left, and turned back……a couple big flaps of his wings, and a couple more barks from me……and his wings set. I would describe the feeling similar to that of turkey hunting…..the moment you know the big strutted out tom is committed and on a B line for your set.

And just like that, he closed the distance in a hurry. Talking to me the whole way, it glided in……dropped the landing gear at about 35 yds……and one shot took him down at 15yds out, 5 yds off the water right over the swan decoys.

One quick water swat to make sure we weren’t going to have a Swan vs. Yellow Lab battle, and he was done. Celebration!!! I raise my gun and do a little dance while the other two guys cheer me on. Just awesome!!!

A couple quick photos, and we pick up and walk out…..yeah, WALK out carrying all the gear as well as the prized bird. But hey, that was fine with me! We didn’t get a weight, but our best guess was between 23-25 lbs. Right around a 6 ft wing span. Definitely a big bird……and a hunt I’ll never forget.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.