Note from John-Mgr Sportsmans Warehouse Woodbury

• Pikester

Couple years ago people were asking if Toyota had a full-size truck to compete with Ford and Chevy…

RoadKing

I purchased a 2007 Tundra in May of 07 and have been very impressed with the total package. Although I only have a 17′ Aluminum boat, I consistantly get 17+ miles to the gallon. So far its been a positive experience.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can you really consider foreign made vehicles, trucks???

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Toyota got a Diesel?

I believe in 2009 or 2010. Here is a link from SEMA 2007: 8.0L Dully Diesel

stevedobie
    Central, MN

I heard they were getting one, as always something new can be bad. Lets see what hapens after the bugs are worked out.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I guess not, but then there are not any trucks out there since they are all made in Canada and Mexico.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am sure they are nice….. I will never know. I am happy with my trucks.

big g

BTW, these awards, get shuffled out like a deck of cards… who’s turn is next….

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I like my Ram but would have a Tundra in a heartbeat if my wife wouldn’t kick my .

big_g
    Isle, MN

somebodys gotta drive em…. It just won’t be me…

big g

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Every forum on the internet has at least one post on the Toyota Tundra Revolution. Why?? Is everyone trying to justify their purchases? Are they bragging? Enough of it already. Vehicle sells numbers will verify what people want.

Whoever has the new truck next year or makes a few trim changes will be truck of the year next year also. Anyone see a trend here?

Truck of the Year

2008 Toyota Tundra
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado
    2006 Honda Ridgeline
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    2004 Ford F-150
    2003 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty
    2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado
    1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
    1997 Ford F-150
    1996 Chevrolet Tahoe
    1995 Chevrolet Blazer
    1994 Dodge Ram
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1992 Ford Van Chateau Club Wagon
    1991 Mazda Navajo
    1990 Ford Aerostar
    1989 Toyota Truck Xtracab SR5
    1980-1988 No award
    1979 Chevrolet LUV

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Truck of the Year

2008 Toyota Tundra
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado
    2006 Honda Ridgeline
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    2004 Ford F-150
    2003 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty
    2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado
    1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
    1997 Ford F-150
    1996 Chevrolet Tahoe
    1995 Chevrolet Blazer
    1994 Dodge Ram
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1992 Ford Van Chateau Club Wagon
    1991 Mazda Navajo
    1990 Ford Aerostar
    1989 Toyota Truck Xtracab SR5
    1980-1988 No award
    1979 Chevrolet LUV

That is pretty interesting, thanks for posting that. That is pretty much how I figured it shook out, but looking at that list makes it crystal clear.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

somebodys gotta drive em…. It just won’t be me…

big g

You would look a little funny pulling into work in a Tundra.

I should be fair, if my wife wouldn’t kick my , I would look at, in order: Tundra, Chevy, Titan, and Ram. Then I would see which best fits my needs/wants, which is the Tundra right now. Then I would look at what I could afford and would probably have to get another Ram.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

I guess not, but then there are not any trucks out there since they are all made in Canada and Mexico.

When did Toyota, Honda and Nissan become American owned and operated companies??

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Another point: Motor Trend is written by car guys for car guys. Honda Ridgeline won because it “rode like a car” and had the independent rear suspension from a car. The authors even admitted that they chose the Toyota over the Chevy only because it represented a significant change in the market in a tight race for TOTY. I’m amazed that they even mentioned the Toyota’s major flaws (crankshaft failures, transmission shudder, tailgate failures, and highway speed harmonic vibrations). One trip to the Toyota fan blogs will tell you how well Toyota’s done on the repair/recall end of the business. BTW, the diesel is a long way off and on the site mentioned above they had to cut away a great deal of the Tundra’s interior to fit the diesel into the truck. IMO, Motor Trend should stick to cars and let truck guys rate the trucks.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When did Toyota, Honda and Nissan become American owned and operated companies??

Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said American made, I thought you were talking about where they were actually made. Not where the company headquarters is. Although they do a lot of operating in this country.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Another point: Motor Trend is written by car guys for car guys. Honda Ridgeline won because it “rode like a car” and had the independent rear suspension from a car. The authors even admitted that they chose the Toyota over the Chevy only because it represented a significant change in the market in a tight race for TOTY. I’m amazed that they even mentioned the Toyota’s major flaws (crankshaft failures, transmission shudder, tailgate failures, and highway speed harmonic vibrations). One trip to the Toyota fan blogs will tell you how well Toyota’s done on the repair/recall end of the business. BTW, the diesel is a long way off and on the site mentioned above they had to cut away a great deal of the Tundra’s interior to fit the diesel into the truck. IMO, Motor Trend should stick to cars and let truck guys rate the trucks.

Who are the Truck guys?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Me, its a thumbs down…

big g

paul follmer
    any where there biting

with Minnesotas open line to immigration, I could see why it would be a popular truck here. But not nation wide.

Just my two cents worth

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Oh, I remember the Chevrolet Luv pickup… those were the days

shayla

Quote:

Oh, I remember the Chevrolet Luv pickup… those were the days

Don’t forget the FORD Courier….now that was a truck to brag about! I shouldn’t laugh, it made Motor Trend’s list just as many times as the F350 Super Duty.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

They are one of the FEW 4X4s made in the US Koot!

Most of the Fords and Chevs are made in Canada or Mexico…have been for many years. All Toyota truck are made in the USA by American union workers…Aint that sumpthin?

me? I drive an ol Chev pick up….

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Most of the Fords and Chevs are made in Canada or Mexico…have been for many years. All Toyota truck are made in the USA by American union workers…Aint that sumpthin?

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toyota is NON UNION!!!!!!!! Talked with a guy at the auto show from toyota and he said they were NOT union. My superduty along with every ford excursion was made in the kentucky truck plant home of the super duty and excursion.

jtimm
    Mora,MN

Honda 75, I knew if I posted this you would come out from under your rock!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

Quote:

Kooty…you would be extremely suprised how many BIG American companies have sold majority shares to foreign investors… This country is going in the WRONG direction… I thought I was buying an American made Chevy a few years ago and made fun of someone who bought a Nissan. Little did I know that I would be eating crow after I found out Canada produced my Silverado. Had to pay up on a bet on top of it. Very sad day when foreign products are manufactured in the US and we farm out products to lower overhead costs…

Ted

metrolunker
    Metro lakes

I need to get one of those tundra. I really like the new ones 08″, can’t afford it now maybe next year and get one of the 09’s.

kooty
    Keymaster

OK. Let me clarify. Unless you’ve made a 400HP rocket ship in candle apple red, GTO orange or midnight black I don’t consider you an American made corporation. Tell me about the last muscle car Nissan, Honda or Toyota made. I don’t consider these companies American born and bread. They will forever be foreign in my eyes. Remember I do wear purple shaded glasses.

When companies are publicly traded, I’m sure they will have foreign investors. Yes, it’s sad so many jobs have went overseas. If you don’t like it, talk to your federal representatives, talk to your unions and talk state/local governments who cotinually let new businesses slip through their hands. Heck, my company has a perfect example. We want to insert several million dollars into a local community just south of the twin cities. Two wealthy locals don’t want it, now we are fighting a whole township that once supported us. I don’t feel too sorry for Americans. We are making our own bed, so we have to lie in it.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Honda 75, I knew if I posted this you would come out from under your rock!

No kidding. We all must remember that Honda’s family is in the UAW, so he is a little sensitive.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Here’s a question for foreign auto manufacturer haters out there, is this “hate” just for Japanese companies or for European companies too? I realize there aren’t any pickup trucks coming out of Europe, but I really only hear bashing of the Japanese companies. Just curious.

kooty
    Keymaster

I don’t HATE any “foreign” manufactures. I just won’t buy a truck from them. In the past, they didn’t have a comparable model to even consider. Now they are getting close I’m told.

How long have they been making full size trucks?? I’ll take my chances with someone with tenure vs. a rookie in the market. Especially when you look at the price tags on those things.

Now if I was looking for a rice burner to commute with, heck ya, I would be looking to one of these manufacturers. These vehicles are what I consider their strength.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.