Deer Bacon?

• joeconley

Last year I had some venison bacon that was incredible. The problem is that it came from a locker in Northern Wisconsin. Anyone out there know someone near the Cities that makes it?

OK, I talked to a friend of mine today that recommended Olson’s Woodville Meats. Anybody else out there had processing done by them?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Some guys here in town hunt over in Wisconsin just to shoot some deer to have made into Bacon. They gave me a pack of the bacon two years ago and OMG is it good. I am willing to bet it is the same place. They still take a bunch of Venison to this place to have Bacon made. I will check where it is. They said it is well worth the drive from Central MN and I agree!!

joeconley

Thanks Scott, let me know what you find out.

PowerFred

I have mine made at this place. http://www.nolechekmeats.com They are located in Thorp, Wisconsin. Its about an hour east of Eau Claire.

Its expensive, but its REALLY good. I can make a pound last about a week when all three of us are at home. I use one slice per day per person making ” Egg McMuffins”.

I’ve still got around 20 pounds left from last year.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

How cool is that. Nolecheck’s is about 5 blocks north of me right now where I work. I get a kick out of signing on here and seeing props given to these guys. They are, like many, a family run business and they turn out top quality everytime! Expensive? Maybe a bit more than some places but it is worth it to have grade AA quality without exception.

That said I have never tried venny bacon. Maybe this year I better give it a shot. I like the breakfast sausage from a few places and normally get that made.

Edit: One place I can no longer recommend is Gunderson Meats in Mondovi. We took the wifes buck there after winning a free processing and feel we were ripped off. They assured us we got all of our meat but I hardly think 32lbs of meat is everything from a 2 year old deer. They also told me they vacuum pack everything but the bulk we got back was simply put into plastic bags with a knot tied in the top to keep it closed. The only thing close to vacuum packed was the chops. They were wrapped in some sort of tissue like paper then put into a bag that shrinks when heated. While I don’t like to beat up on small local type places that was the 2nd time I have had my stuff messed up there and will be the last.

PowerFred

Nolecheck’s make some top notch sausage, IMHO. I don’t mind spending money in a small, family run shop, especially when the quality is as high as there’s is.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Watkins Locker located in Plum City, WI (about 1.5 hours away from Mpls) makes excellent venison bacon. However, there is a waiting list and it would be 2-3 months before they could take your order.

Watkins Lockers
    130 Pine Ave E, Plum City, WI 54761 (715) 647-2554

kevinbrantner
    West Central Wisconsin

Quote:

Watkins Locker located in Plum City, WI (about 1.5 hours away from Mpls) makes excellent venison bacon. However, there is a waiting list and it would be 2-3 months before they could take your order.

Watkins Lockers
    130 Pine Ave E, Plum City, WI 54761 (715) 647-2554

They also make excellent summer sausage, dried venison and jerky there.

rdmil

Quote:

Been taking my deer there for 12 years would never go anywhere else!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Edit: One place I can no longer recommend is Gunderson Meats in Mondovi. We took the wifes buck there after winning a free processing and feel we were ripped off. They assured us we got all of our meat but I hardly think 32lbs of meat is everything from a 2 year old deer. They also told me they vacuum pack everything but the bulk we got back was simply put into plastic bags with a knot tied in the top to keep it closed. The only thing close to vacuum packed was the chops. They were wrapped in some sort of tissue like paper then put into a bag that shrinks when heated. While I don’t like to beat up on small local type places that was the 2nd time I have had my stuff messed up there and will be the last.

I’d say you got ripped off! I buthcer on the average 5 deer per year. I am a pretty good estimator on weight. I brought a cooler in to Ptaceks in Prescott that contained sausage meet from two deer. There was 75 pounds of meat in the cooler, and I had kept all the back straps from both, and kept two roasts and tenderloins from each deer. They fed you a line of crap. I would ask to talk to the manager. I don’t go to incompetent butchers anymore. I had a really bad experience at Von Hansons 2 years ago. I will never be back. Ptaceks uses real maple syrup in their sticks, and real jalapenos with cheese in their hot sticks…not pepperjack. They are REALLY good! And cheaper than the bigger names.

Was your deer boned out?

Anonymous

i was just wondering about deer bacon yesterday as I was butchering. good post!

I’m always surprised how little meat is left when the butchering is done, and I do it myself also.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

You guys are making me hungry, I am going to have to see if the place I go to makes baccon also. Have you ever had bacon bits mixed into burger? Now that is some good stuff, my wife and daughter do not care for venison but the love the burger mixed with bacon bits.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Quote:

Ptaceks uses real maple syrup in their sticks, and real jalapenos with cheese in their hot sticks…not pepperjack. They are REALLY good!

Dang that sounds awesome! Made a mental note to try it when we get to making some sticks this winter.

Our deer we took in was whole minus the inner loins. They might weigh a pound to a pound and a quarter on a big deer. The deer had no wasted meat as it was shot in the back of the skull where it meets the spine. (Note to self, don’t TICK wife off!) Had I been the one picking the venison up I’m sure there would have been a scene. Momma didn’t think it seemed right but was unsure. I nearly went into orbit when she showed me how much there was. But I live 63 miles away and have no intentions of going there again soon. I figure if they needed the remainder of the meat that bad then so be it. My word of mouth will cost them more than they could possibly squirrel away from folks.

For comparison sake we just finished cutting up a yearling about 25 minutes ago. This was a small deer for sure. And we had about 27 lbs best we can tell from our puny scale. Ribs were kept from both animals so there ought to be a few pounds extra maybe. I can’t wait to smoke those babies!

Another place I have to give props to. Rays Market in Unity Wisconsin. They too have a waiting list. Our meat we took them Friday won’t be done until the 1st week of May. Last year we had the same ETA and got it back about 3 weeks early. But the sausage is sooooo good it is insane!

How many folks try to keep their processing in small batches? We do to keep things from getting “old hat” and normally have 2 places making us sausage, plus we make sausage and sticks, and we have a couple places that make us ring boloney and hot dogs or brats. One more near Thorp is Martens just east of Hwy O. These guys are inexpensive and very good. They are gracious enough to allow you to sample their products in small batches so you don’t have a half a deers worth of something you don’t like.

Great now I’m starving. Wonder if any turkey is left…

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Ray’s does make some of the best sausage around, but the wait is long.

bearhound66

Hey, my wife works for a small hometown grocery store in Northern Wisconsin…North Trail Store..her Boss makes some AWESOME Venison bacon and Venison sausage products at reasonable prices…give it a try sometime.The fax # is 715-275-3403 for a price list

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors sharpshooter66!!!

Anonymous

I hear Kraut’s in Spring Valley, MN makes some good venison bacon, and dried venison. Anyone have experience (good/bad/indifferent)there? Thanks

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I hear Kraut’s in Spring Valley, MN makes some good venison bacon, and dried venison. Anyone have experience (good/bad/indifferent)there? Thanks

I have not tried them but I will ask around as I know some guys that live down that way. I get my burger with bacon bits done at Erdmans in Kason, good stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.