taxidermy

• Finny
    Minnesota

Does anyone know someone that teaches taxidermy in SE MN??

tomliver
    Almost North of 8

Ask a local taxidermist if he needs help kida like an apprenticeship. My bet is that he has freezers full of work right now and would gladly take on free help. I always learn better with hands on then taking a class at the local votec.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I am pretty sure, you will not find any taxidermist who is going to let you or anyone else work on HIS customers fish and game. maybe if he just doesn’t care anymore, maybe.

your best bet would be to find a descent school, and take the whole course. then when you have the basics, you can learn and IMprove over time, and maybe specialize in one or two areas.
    look at pictures of work their students have done, and look at work that the instuctors have done. I’ve seen plenty of pictures of fish that were a joke.

good luck.
    Jack.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I learned my fish taxidermy from a guy who was a full-time fish only taxidermist, and who was advertizing to teach just a few people his fish methods.
    It worked out great for me, as I worked mostly evening and nights, and was able to work right in his shop for 9 months. NO way was I going to work on his customers work, but he had extra fish for me to learn and work on.
    I worked on many different species, including a 25 pound Chinook salmon. After my nine months, he said I was done.

After that he did hire me part-time, I did alot of fish skin cleaning, and made many stained wood panels for him. about 1/2 of this extra work I did in his shop, and I was still able to learn from him and watch him work.
    He IS the best fish taxidermist I’ve ever seen.
    that was over 30 years ago.
    Good luck.
    Jack.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.