Started the trap line today

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks John If they are untouched tomorrow, they may be coming out and brought home. I may even be able to give them a paint job if nothing else. I am pretty excited about checking tomorrow

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Interisting post. I dont know anything about trapping but have a couple of questions. What do you do with all the meat and how much do you get fr the hides?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Interisting post. I dont know anything about trapping but have a couple of questions. What do you do with all the meat and how much do you get fr the hides?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The carcasses of the muskrats get thrown in the garbage. The hides are selling for anywhere from $4-9 from what I have heard. I have a couple recipes for fried and bar-b-cue muskrat and coon, but the wife says she won’t cook a rodent

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The carcasses of the muskrats get thrown in the garbage. The hides are selling for anywhere from $4-9 from what I have heard. I have a couple recipes for fried and bar-b-cue muskrat and coon, but the wife says she won’t cook a rodent

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Mike,

I really enjoy your trapping reports. It takes me back to high school. I get goose bumps reading them. Gotta grab my letterman’s jacket and get to school. I mean, grab my coat and head to work…

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Mike,

I really enjoy your trapping reports. It takes me back to high school. I get goose bumps reading them. Gotta grab my letterman’s jacket and get to school. I mean, grab my coat and head to work…

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Okay, now that I am somewhat unthawed and mostly dried out I can update on the day. Today started off at the ramp and not a pretty scene. There were no duck boats out at all and the ice had a pretty good lock on the landings. After thinking about the best way to approach the ice, I launched the skiff. What normally takes 5 minutes of paddling to cross the slough, turned into an hours worth of pure frustration. The ice was too thin to walk on, but not quite thick enough to support me and the skiff. To make matters worse, the water is too deep to touch bottom so using the push pole is out of the question. I literally had to break the ice inches at a time with my ice spud. Once I reached the narrow strip of open water, I was able to paddle. But, with the stiff 20 mph winds and the gusts close to 30, I was not making much progress. I finally made it to the other side where it was shallow enough to get out and bust the ice as I went. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I took a step to break the ice and down I went. The ice stayed under my boot throwing me off balance and leaving me scrambling to regain control, which I lost, and fell right in the water. Luckily, the water wasn’t quite deep enough to go over my chest waders. So once I got on safe ice, I began to check the line. I went through 15 sets before finally connecting. The frustration of being beat by a rat is starting to wear on me a little. The runs are perfect and the clues are there telling me rats are here. I made some adjustments. pulled traps, and reset in different areas. This was just half the line. Once this half was checked, I then had to cross another slough to get to the others. Same situation as before with the ice. But, I kind of had some fun getting to the other side of this slough. The wind was really whipping through the cut. I was able to get the skiff onto the ice and get it started sliding. With the wind at my back, it alone pushed me along at a good clip. Once I got to the otherside, it was pretty easy work checking traps. I noticed another trapper had moved in on me yesterday after I had left. But, he didn’t crowd me or try to cut my runs off which was cool. As I was looking though the ice at a rat run trying to decide if I should set it, a rat came flying out from the bank right out of that run. The little bugger scared me for a minute. Needless to say, I set the run. I also got to see a mink running along the ice and disappear in the grass. Once all the traps were checked, I then had the undaunting task of getting back. The trail I made to get across in the morning was frozen shut again so I had to do the same process all over again. There was a guy at the landing in his truck watching me try and cross the slough. Once I finally made it across, he drove up and told me them rats must be worth a million bucks to do what I was doing. We both had a good laugh at that. Trapping rats through the ice is not all that easy, once this ice gets a little firmer, it should be getting easier.
    I ended the day with 7 rats and quite a few snapped traps again.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Okay, now that I am somewhat unthawed and mostly dried out I can update on the day. Today started off at the ramp and not a pretty scene. There were no duck boats out at all and the ice had a pretty good lock on the landings. After thinking about the best way to approach the ice, I launched the skiff. What normally takes 5 minutes of paddling to cross the slough, turned into an hours worth of pure frustration. The ice was too thin to walk on, but not quite thick enough to support me and the skiff. To make matters worse, the water is too deep to touch bottom so using the push pole is out of the question. I literally had to break the ice inches at a time with my ice spud. Once I reached the narrow strip of open water, I was able to paddle. But, with the stiff 20 mph winds and the gusts close to 30, I was not making much progress. I finally made it to the other side where it was shallow enough to get out and bust the ice as I went. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I took a step to break the ice and down I went. The ice stayed under my boot throwing me off balance and leaving me scrambling to regain control, which I lost, and fell right in the water. Luckily, the water wasn’t quite deep enough to go over my chest waders. So once I got on safe ice, I began to check the line. I went through 15 sets before finally connecting. The frustration of being beat by a rat is starting to wear on me a little. The runs are perfect and the clues are there telling me rats are here. I made some adjustments. pulled traps, and reset in different areas. This was just half the line. Once this half was checked, I then had to cross another slough to get to the others. Same situation as before with the ice. But, I kind of had some fun getting to the other side of this slough. The wind was really whipping through the cut. I was able to get the skiff onto the ice and get it started sliding. With the wind at my back, it alone pushed me along at a good clip. Once I got to the otherside, it was pretty easy work checking traps. I noticed another trapper had moved in on me yesterday after I had left. But, he didn’t crowd me or try to cut my runs off which was cool. As I was looking though the ice at a rat run trying to decide if I should set it, a rat came flying out from the bank right out of that run. The little bugger scared me for a minute. Needless to say, I set the run. I also got to see a mink running along the ice and disappear in the grass. Once all the traps were checked, I then had the undaunting task of getting back. The trail I made to get across in the morning was frozen shut again so I had to do the same process all over again. There was a guy at the landing in his truck watching me try and cross the slough. Once I finally made it across, he drove up and told me them rats must be worth a million bucks to do what I was doing. We both had a good laugh at that. Trapping rats through the ice is not all that easy, once this ice gets a little firmer, it should be getting easier.
    I ended the day with 7 rats and quite a few snapped traps again.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Good report Mike! In that pic… You didn’t lay them traps on your pillow did you??? Man… what a determined and carrying trapper you must be!!!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Good report Mike! In that pic… You didn’t lay them traps on your pillow did you??? Man… what a determined and carrying trapper you must be!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I bet you sleep good tonight

The three reddish rats in the pic look very nice! Not that the other 4 look shabby by any means. Good job Dude

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I bet you sleep good tonight

The three reddish rats in the pic look very nice! Not that the other 4 look shabby by any means. Good job Dude

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Have I ever mentioned how bad skinning sucks I love trapping, but I am not a fan of skinning the pelts.

Bret-Yep, the three reddish ones were the better ones of the day. I had 3 kits in that bunch as well. Yesterdays rats were all medium to larges.
    Tomorrow I am faced with decision day. The refuge opens on Wednesday and that means a lot more ground with untrapped rats this year. But, there will more than likely be more competition.
    There is plenty of sign where I am now with more areas getting accesible everyday and virtually no competition.
    The refuge allows much easier access and I can take the kids a few times. Where I am now should be getting better to get to as more ice is being made. I am considering pulling 10 sets and resetting 20 sets in each area. In the morning I am going to take a walk before I check traps and see what I can find for sign. If it is better than where I am now, the decision will be easy. But, I may have to take my Fish Trap out and make myself comfortable a few hours before the refuge officially opens. Then at 9 a.m. I can sprint out and start staking my claim

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Have I ever mentioned how bad skinning sucks I love trapping, but I am not a fan of skinning the pelts.

Bret-Yep, the three reddish ones were the better ones of the day. I had 3 kits in that bunch as well. Yesterdays rats were all medium to larges.
    Tomorrow I am faced with decision day. The refuge opens on Wednesday and that means a lot more ground with untrapped rats this year. But, there will more than likely be more competition.
    There is plenty of sign where I am now with more areas getting accesible everyday and virtually no competition.
    The refuge allows much easier access and I can take the kids a few times. Where I am now should be getting better to get to as more ice is being made. I am considering pulling 10 sets and resetting 20 sets in each area. In the morning I am going to take a walk before I check traps and see what I can find for sign. If it is better than where I am now, the decision will be easy. But, I may have to take my Fish Trap out and make myself comfortable a few hours before the refuge officially opens. Then at 9 a.m. I can sprint out and start staking my claim

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Mike, I’ve really enjoyed reading your report and updates. It’s almost like I’m walking the line with you!

Thanks for taking the time to report, Mike!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Mike, I’ve really enjoyed reading your report and updates. It’s almost like I’m walking the line with you!

Thanks for taking the time to report, Mike!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Today was both good, bad, and ugly. We will start with the good My biggest problem has been the ice the last few days. So, last night I got a PM from John R telling me to stop by his place on the way to check traps, he mentioned he had just the thing to help me out. So, I stopped over there and he hands me a couple metal rods with a point on the ends. He told me to use these sort of like ski poles. Let me tell you, that was just the ticket this morning. I was able to absolutely fly across the ice. Even with having to take a longer way across to be able to stay on good ice, it took me 5 minutes at the most to get to my first trap. From there I was able to hop in the boat and slide along to each set. That saved me a ton of time this morning.
    Now comes he bad I ended up with 2 rats for the day. So, there was a lot of traps pulled this morning and a few were moved to other locations. I am also feeling the effects of high dollar muskrats. This morning I was surrounded by 3 other trappers. The first was a couple guys in an airboat and then 2 seperate guys doing the same thing as I am with light boat sliding across the ice. I am left with very few areas to move to as a result. The only good thing is a lot more ground opens up tomorrow. I will still be able to get all the traps out, they will just be scattered out a lot more. I also am finding out that shiny traps are not good. I had 5 traps that I bought last year but never used until this season. I have only caught 1 rat in a new trap and the other new ones have never been snapped. I was able to get a few pics this morning, so they will be following this post

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Today was both good, bad, and ugly. We will start with the good My biggest problem has been the ice the last few days. So, last night I got a PM from John R telling me to stop by his place on the way to check traps, he mentioned he had just the thing to help me out. So, I stopped over there and he hands me a couple metal rods with a point on the ends. He told me to use these sort of like ski poles. Let me tell you, that was just the ticket this morning. I was able to absolutely fly across the ice. Even with having to take a longer way across to be able to stay on good ice, it took me 5 minutes at the most to get to my first trap. From there I was able to hop in the boat and slide along to each set. That saved me a ton of time this morning.
    Now comes he bad I ended up with 2 rats for the day. So, there was a lot of traps pulled this morning and a few were moved to other locations. I am also feeling the effects of high dollar muskrats. This morning I was surrounded by 3 other trappers. The first was a couple guys in an airboat and then 2 seperate guys doing the same thing as I am with light boat sliding across the ice. I am left with very few areas to move to as a result. The only good thing is a lot more ground opens up tomorrow. I will still be able to get all the traps out, they will just be scattered out a lot more. I also am finding out that shiny traps are not good. I had 5 traps that I bought last year but never used until this season. I have only caught 1 rat in a new trap and the other new ones have never been snapped. I was able to get a few pics this morning, so they will be following this post

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This pic is of the ice that I have to get across to be able to start trapping. The broken up ice is where the airboat went out before me this morning. In order for me to cross, I had to walk to the left about 80 yards to get to the better ice.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This pic is of the ice that I have to get across to be able to start trapping. The broken up ice is where the airboat went out before me this morning. In order for me to cross, I had to walk to the left about 80 yards to get to the better ice.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This is a pic of a new set location. The ice is getting thicker everyday and I am going to have to get a bigger hatchet soon.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This is a pic of a new set location. The ice is getting thicker everyday and I am going to have to get a bigger hatchet soon.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is another shot after the trap and stake is set.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is another shot after the trap and stake is set.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This pic is what I am after. This is a decent sized muskrat caught in the 110. This guy floated to the top of the ice and froze in. When they do that, you have to chop them out leaving the ice attached. If you pull the rat away from the ice, you will pull all the hair off the hide resulting in a damaged hide.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This pic is what I am after. This is a decent sized muskrat caught in the 110. This guy floated to the top of the ice and froze in. When they do that, you have to chop them out leaving the ice attached. If you pull the rat away from the ice, you will pull all the hair off the hide resulting in a damaged hide.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The last pic is not trapping related, but I get to see a lot of deer while out trapping. There are 3 bucks that I have been seeing to gether every morning. Today 2 of the 3 were close enough to get a pic of. The biggest one of the three wouldn’t stay with the other 2 to get his pic taken.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The last pic is not trapping related, but I get to see a lot of deer while out trapping. There are 3 bucks that I have been seeing to gether every morning. Today 2 of the 3 were close enough to get a pic of. The biggest one of the three wouldn’t stay with the other 2 to get his pic taken.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Sweet reports and pics….Might have to take up bowhunting early in the morning too….
    I have spent the past 20 minutes of work reading this post….and i have to admit…i agree with your wife and the guy on the ramp…but I also can see where you find your peace by trapping….Whether its fishing, hunting, or trapping it amazing on what mother nature can do to drown out all of lifes other distractions….

Thanks Amwatson for sharing your daily trapping routine!!!

Keep it up…

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 331 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.