Started the trap line today

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

These two traps are fairly close to each other and I did have a visitor last night. As fresh as the tracks were, the coon must have been out early this morning. We had a pretty good thunderstorm and quite a bit of rain last night, so they must have waited until after the storm to run. I took a pic of the tracks of the coon that will be in the trap tomorrow morning

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This morning trapping took me to a new area setting for rats. I am using a duck skiff to get to the areas. That is definitely a workout when you are not used to it. I also found out that I can walk across 1.5″ of ice once. If I go back the same way, it isn’t a very good idea of course the water is shallow, but the ice is pretty tough on the shins. I wasn’t able to get many traps out due to not really finding any real good sign. Tomorrow I will have a veteren rat trapper on the line with me to further my education. Trapping big water rats is more difficult than I thought.
    Anyway, I beleive tomorrow will be the last day for coon sets for awhile. I was going to pull them today, but I already promised the kids they could go with me to check the sets that I can walk to. The river is still on the rise and is very counter effective to my sets. With the temps like they are, I haven’t seen any fresh sign in a couple of days. Once we get a warm up, I can reset these since they are relatively close to the house. Well, that is all for now

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This morning trapping took me to a new area setting for rats. I am using a duck skiff to get to the areas. That is definitely a workout when you are not used to it. I also found out that I can walk across 1.5″ of ice once. If I go back the same way, it isn’t a very good idea of course the water is shallow, but the ice is pretty tough on the shins. I wasn’t able to get many traps out due to not really finding any real good sign. Tomorrow I will have a veteren rat trapper on the line with me to further my education. Trapping big water rats is more difficult than I thought.
    Anyway, I beleive tomorrow will be the last day for coon sets for awhile. I was going to pull them today, but I already promised the kids they could go with me to check the sets that I can walk to. The river is still on the rise and is very counter effective to my sets. With the temps like they are, I haven’t seen any fresh sign in a couple of days. Once we get a warm up, I can reset these since they are relatively close to the house. Well, that is all for now

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Tomorrow will be the day Wats. You will have a blast having the kids trapping with you, way cool
    Thanks for the great reads and pics. I’m looking forward to hear the out come of tomorrows trip

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Tomorrow will be the day Wats. You will have a blast having the kids trapping with you, way cool
    Thanks for the great reads and pics. I’m looking forward to hear the out come of tomorrows trip

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

That reminds me, Mike… gotta find some time to get my traps back out. I pulled all my water sets for rats.. I am just not keen on walking through water/ice. I prefer to trap on land once the temps get low. Set up my bucket/coon sets… Coyote and fox sets… etc. Haven’t had my sets out in 2 weeks… Just working to dang much. Since I am working so much, I decided once I brought them in… not to put them out unless I can check them daily… More humane.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

That reminds me, Mike… gotta find some time to get my traps back out. I pulled all my water sets for rats.. I am just not keen on walking through water/ice. I prefer to trap on land once the temps get low. Set up my bucket/coon sets… Coyote and fox sets… etc. Haven’t had my sets out in 2 weeks… Just working to dang much. Since I am working so much, I decided once I brought them in… not to put them out unless I can check them daily… More humane.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Pulled the coon line today and moving on to rats only. I took 3 of the kids with today to check and pull the traps. Well as usual, when they go along I always seem to catch something. Today was no different, but it wasn’t what I intended. We caught a nice cottontail in a blind set right next to the marsh.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Pulled the coon line today and moving on to rats only. I took 3 of the kids with today to check and pull the traps. Well as usual, when they go along I always seem to catch something. Today was no different, but it wasn’t what I intended. We caught a nice cottontail in a blind set right next to the marsh.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is one more picture of the kids next to a bucket set.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is one more picture of the kids next to a bucket set.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After I dropped the kids off at the house, I headed to the rat line to check traps and set more out.
    I want to thank member John R for going out on the line with me to share his valuable insight to trapping through the ice He took time out of his day and used his boat to show me the different ways to find places to set rats through the ice and areas with no ice. Of the 8 sets I made yesterday, I connected on 4 rats. John and I were able to get 19 sets in today easily. John thinks there will be around an 85% success rate in the morning. I also need to take more traps with tomorrow because there were more places to set than I had traps.
    One thing about this site, if you need a hand or need info, all you have to do is ask. The people on here are very willing to help, but you have to ask. I can’t thank John, Blue Fleck, and Blue’s dad for the help they have given me on trapping different types of areas. i had a rough idea on how to catch rats before, but with the help of these guys who have 30+ years of experience, it cuts the learning curve way down. So again, thank you guys for the help

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After I dropped the kids off at the house, I headed to the rat line to check traps and set more out.
    I want to thank member John R for going out on the line with me to share his valuable insight to trapping through the ice He took time out of his day and used his boat to show me the different ways to find places to set rats through the ice and areas with no ice. Of the 8 sets I made yesterday, I connected on 4 rats. John and I were able to get 19 sets in today easily. John thinks there will be around an 85% success rate in the morning. I also need to take more traps with tomorrow because there were more places to set than I had traps.
    One thing about this site, if you need a hand or need info, all you have to do is ask. The people on here are very willing to help, but you have to ask. I can’t thank John, Blue Fleck, and Blue’s dad for the help they have given me on trapping different types of areas. i had a rough idea on how to catch rats before, but with the help of these guys who have 30+ years of experience, it cuts the learning curve way down. So again, thank you guys for the help

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice sized rats Wats. Sounds like you will be busy skinning today

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice sized rats Wats. Sounds like you will be busy skinning today

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

On the bucket set, how far from the bottom of the bucket is the trap?

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

On the bucket set, how far from the bottom of the bucket is the trap?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to assume you mean how deep is it recessed? If so, it is maybe 6″. Since this is a 160 and NOT a 220, there is no restriction to how deep it needs to be in the bucket The bad thing about 160’s for me is the number of refusals. I would love to use 220’s, but the restrictions are not worth the hassle so I stick to the size smaller.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to assume you mean how deep is it recessed? If so, it is maybe 6″. Since this is a 160 and NOT a 220, there is no restriction to how deep it needs to be in the bucket The bad thing about 160’s for me is the number of refusals. I would love to use 220’s, but the restrictions are not worth the hassle so I stick to the size smaller.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

excellent pics and post AM…i must say you have me checking your post daily for the update even when I am not at work and at home I am always thinkin oh i better go check the ice reports and see if AM broke the ice yet and now i see ya did so it is all smooth sailing from here great job though man cause I know how much work that trapping can be for sure man

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

excellent pics and post AM…i must say you have me checking your post daily for the update even when I am not at work and at home I am always thinkin oh i better go check the ice reports and see if AM broke the ice yet and now i see ya did so it is all smooth sailing from here great job though man cause I know how much work that trapping can be for sure man

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wow, can the ice build overnight This morning the ramp was frozen out about 20 yards or so. Luckily, it wasn’t too terribly thick and I was able to get the skiff out. Once I got through the ice to the open slough, which was only open a little ways, then I had to bust through the ice on the other side to get to that bank. Once I get there, it gets easier for a little while. I am able to drag the boat behind me while I am checking sets since most of it is on the ice. There are a few places where I have to go across land to get to the next pocket, but the skiff drags really nice. Once the main section is checked, I have a few sets across another good sized slough. By tomorrow, I am not sure how I am going to be able to get to them because of how fast the ice is closing everything up. But, I am not complaining because once the ice gets firm enough to walk on, finding new set locations gets much easier. I was able to find 11 more places to set this morning and there are still places I left because I am only going to run 30 traps in this particular area until Wednesday and then I will have the full 40 allowed traps out. I may or may not move the other 30, it all depends on how the catch rate goes. Today I was a little disappointed with my 6 rat catch rate out of 19 sets. But, I only had 6 traps unfired. The others were snapped so there was definitely some action but they just missed the trap. I am guessing tomorrow will be a better day. It is amazing how quickly you get used to the cold temps when you are out playing in it. This morning when I left the house to check traps it was -2 with the windchill. But once you get moving around, it is actually comfortable. When I was coming back down the slough, I just drifted awhile and watched the world around me. There was a nice swan that came flying over me really low. Man are they big birds. My wife thinks I am nuts “wasting” all that gas to drive that far to check traps everyday. But, I don’t look at it that way. I enjoy being outside and doing these things. At the end of checking traps in the mornings, everything is coated with a nice layer of ice. This morning my legs were so iced over it was hard to even bend my legs, but it sure fun to wonder what you have waiting for you at each trap.
    I don’t have any pics of the rats from today since they are frozen blocks of ice this morning. I am trying to unthaw them enough right now just so I can begin to think about getting them skinned.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wow, can the ice build overnight This morning the ramp was frozen out about 20 yards or so. Luckily, it wasn’t too terribly thick and I was able to get the skiff out. Once I got through the ice to the open slough, which was only open a little ways, then I had to bust through the ice on the other side to get to that bank. Once I get there, it gets easier for a little while. I am able to drag the boat behind me while I am checking sets since most of it is on the ice. There are a few places where I have to go across land to get to the next pocket, but the skiff drags really nice. Once the main section is checked, I have a few sets across another good sized slough. By tomorrow, I am not sure how I am going to be able to get to them because of how fast the ice is closing everything up. But, I am not complaining because once the ice gets firm enough to walk on, finding new set locations gets much easier. I was able to find 11 more places to set this morning and there are still places I left because I am only going to run 30 traps in this particular area until Wednesday and then I will have the full 40 allowed traps out. I may or may not move the other 30, it all depends on how the catch rate goes. Today I was a little disappointed with my 6 rat catch rate out of 19 sets. But, I only had 6 traps unfired. The others were snapped so there was definitely some action but they just missed the trap. I am guessing tomorrow will be a better day. It is amazing how quickly you get used to the cold temps when you are out playing in it. This morning when I left the house to check traps it was -2 with the windchill. But once you get moving around, it is actually comfortable. When I was coming back down the slough, I just drifted awhile and watched the world around me. There was a nice swan that came flying over me really low. Man are they big birds. My wife thinks I am nuts “wasting” all that gas to drive that far to check traps everyday. But, I don’t look at it that way. I enjoy being outside and doing these things. At the end of checking traps in the mornings, everything is coated with a nice layer of ice. This morning my legs were so iced over it was hard to even bend my legs, but it sure fun to wonder what you have waiting for you at each trap.
    I don’t have any pics of the rats from today since they are frozen blocks of ice this morning. I am trying to unthaw them enough right now just so I can begin to think about getting them skinned.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Ya Mike I would be dissapointed with anly 6 rats also. Those runs are great. I suspect they were going over the top, so maybe move them closer to the bank. But I have seen the second day be much better, so hang in there.Bucket of hot water will thaw those rats in no time. Just don.t pull the ice off. good luck tomorrow—John

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Ya Mike I would be dissapointed with anly 6 rats also. Those runs are great. I suspect they were going over the top, so maybe move them closer to the bank. But I have seen the second day be much better, so hang in there.Bucket of hot water will thaw those rats in no time. Just don.t pull the ice off. good luck tomorrow—John

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

John-The hot water in the bucket trick worked perfect. Not only did the ice come off, but they skinned out much quicker and easier and my fingers weren’t frozen while skinning
    Also, I have confidence in the sets we found and I know tomorrow will be better. Even if they aren’t full, I am still enjoying the challenge.
    I do have a question though on shiny traps. Do you think they shy away from new shiny traps more so than slightly rusted or dyed traps?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

John-The hot water in the bucket trick worked perfect. Not only did the ice come off, but they skinned out much quicker and easier and my fingers weren’t frozen while skinning
    Also, I have confidence in the sets we found and I know tomorrow will be better. Even if they aren’t full, I am still enjoying the challenge.
    I do have a question though on shiny traps. Do you think they shy away from new shiny traps more so than slightly rusted or dyed traps?

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

I do believe that, I always dyed my traps. Well and waxed them once, but I told ya how that turned out, never did it again. LOL I don’t know if they will ever be full, but I am hoping your percentage goes up tomorrow. Like you said, confidence is key and they are good sets.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

I do believe that, I always dyed my traps. Well and waxed them once, but I told ya how that turned out, never did it again. LOL I don’t know if they will ever be full, but I am hoping your percentage goes up tomorrow. Like you said, confidence is key and they are good sets.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks John If they are untouched tomorrow, they may be coming out and brought home. I may even be able to give them a paint job if nothing else. I am pretty excited about checking tomorrow

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 331 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.