Digital scounting camera opinions? Please help!

• coppertop
    Central MN

Aftering owning a deercam DC-100 and DC-300 I’ve had it with buying film, developing, and buying expensive 123 camera batteries. There are too many choices to choose from nowdays. A few of my friends own cuddebacks from last year before they decided to change and offer 3 choices. With input from these friends and seeing their pics I was set on cuddeback but with a few reviews and misc. forums I’ve visited It seems cuddeback should have left their original design alone. Sounds as though there are problems with them. I blindly bought a Bushnell Trailscout 3.0 with night vision mode. I’ve yet to try it out. Does anybody own one that could give me their input on it? Ideally I’d like to buy the cuddeback 3.0 that was made last year. If anyone knows where they could be found to purchase any info would greatly help. Please let me know your experiences with the brand and model you use, Battery life, ease of operation, etc. etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
    Randy Omann

ToddJ

I own two cuddeback cameras, the 2.0 and 3.0, both cameras are decent, but the battery life doesn’t last as long as the advertisement of 6 months. Cuddeback states that I should get 6 months worth of battery life, not the case maybe about a month or two. Go digital with the memory cards as it is very easy to check the cameras replace the memory card and view at home. The 2.0 has been more reliable than the 3.0 for me.

ToddJ

I own two cuddeback cameras, the 2.0 and 3.0, both cameras are decent, but the battery life doesn’t last as long as the advertisement of 6 months. Cuddeback states that I should get 6 months worth of battery life, not the case maybe about a month or two. Go digital with the memory cards as it is very easy to check the cameras replace the memory card and view at home. The 2.0 has been more reliable than the 3.0 for me.

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

don’t forget to check the BEST— CAMTRACKER>COM

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

don’t forget to check the BEST— CAMTRACKER>COM

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have two Cuddeback 3.0 cameras. The battery life is very good in the Summer and about 1/2 in the winter. I can get 1500-1700 pictures on one set of batteries in the summer and about 750-800 in the winter. I have nothing but good things to say about the 3.0

I don’t know how long a set of batteries lasts in terms of months, if the camera is taking a lot of pictures, you will go through batteries faster. One thing I can tell you is they take very few pictures that aren’t of deer. Deer, Turkey and Racoons are about all I have for pictures. Again, I have nothing but good things to say

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have two Cuddeback 3.0 cameras. The battery life is very good in the Summer and about 1/2 in the winter. I can get 1500-1700 pictures on one set of batteries in the summer and about 750-800 in the winter. I have nothing but good things to say about the 3.0

I don’t know how long a set of batteries lasts in terms of months, if the camera is taking a lot of pictures, you will go through batteries faster. One thing I can tell you is they take very few pictures that aren’t of deer. Deer, Turkey and Racoons are about all I have for pictures. Again, I have nothing but good things to say

coppertop
    Central MN

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I might be taking a trip back to Cabelas. I’m in awe when you can get that many pics! I’m used to changing batteries after 3 rolls of film in good weather, in winter every roll! Thanks for your help, Randy

coppertop
    Central MN

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I might be taking a trip back to Cabelas. I’m in awe when you can get that many pics! I’m used to changing batteries after 3 rolls of film in good weather, in winter every roll! Thanks for your help, Randy

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just went to Cabelas last night and picked up a Cudde 3.0 No Flash camera. I also got a 2GB flash card, can hold 2000 pictures !!! Amazing.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just went to Cabelas last night and picked up a Cudde 3.0 No Flash camera. I also got a 2GB flash card, can hold 2000 pictures !!! Amazing.

big g

coppertop
    Central MN

Hey G, Just made the trek there tonite to return the bushnell. I chose the cuddeback 2.0, just afraid of hanging that much $$$ on a tree out of my sight. What are your thoughts on their design. The battery compartment seems a bit cheesy and the hanging suggestions seem like they could better. Let me know how it works out for you? I may be making another trip to Rogers. Randy

coppertop
    Central MN

Hey G, Just made the trek there tonite to return the bushnell. I chose the cuddeback 2.0, just afraid of hanging that much $$$ on a tree out of my sight. What are your thoughts on their design. The battery compartment seems a bit cheesy and the hanging suggestions seem like they could better. Let me know how it works out for you? I may be making another trip to Rogers. Randy

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree, it took me longer to get that battery plate in there right, than it did to program !!! I had the same thought, but then thought, if I am gonna hang $300 on a tree, why not $550 !!! Them screws could be pulled out, I believe with bare hands. I am putting it out this weekend, and hopefully have some pic’s to post the following weekend !!!
    big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree, it took me longer to get that battery plate in there right, than it did to program !!! I had the same thought, but then thought, if I am gonna hang $300 on a tree, why not $550 !!! Them screws could be pulled out, I believe with bare hands. I am putting it out this weekend, and hopefully have some pic’s to post the following weekend !!!
    big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Scott, what do you set your interval at, for time between pic’s ? I have a 2GB card, so it can store up to 2000 pic’s they say, but just wondering where I should start at. Thanks.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Scott, what do you set your interval at, for time between pic’s ? I have a 2GB card, so it can store up to 2000 pic’s they say, but just wondering where I should start at. Thanks.

big g

krisko
    Durand, WI

We also use Cuddieback’s in our camp. We also use some of the DeerCams still just because they are our mobile ones that we move around. They are the bomb! I get pretty mucht what they say for battery life. I did notice a little more usage in the colder months though…that is typical anyway. I think most of the other digital trackers have some catching up to do.

As far as settings. I have mine on a couple of crossing trails. I usually set min to 1 min interval. Usually only get one photo of them. I know if it is last summer I usually turn it down to 30 sec because of the deer being more hearded up. I do have some on some scrapes and some feed plots and I turn it to 2 min. then. No need of a bunch of pics of the same doe and fawn.

krisko
    Durand, WI

We also use Cuddieback’s in our camp. We also use some of the DeerCams still just because they are our mobile ones that we move around. They are the bomb! I get pretty mucht what they say for battery life. I did notice a little more usage in the colder months though…that is typical anyway. I think most of the other digital trackers have some catching up to do.

As far as settings. I have mine on a couple of crossing trails. I usually set min to 1 min interval. Usually only get one photo of them. I know if it is last summer I usually turn it down to 30 sec because of the deer being more hearded up. I do have some on some scrapes and some feed plots and I turn it to 2 min. then. No need of a bunch of pics of the same doe and fawn.

harlandd

Does anybody have any info on the stealth cams I looked at one of the 3.0 digital one. It seemed nice in the fact that you can review pics right in the field?????????

harlandd

Does anybody have any info on the stealth cams I looked at one of the 3.0 digital one. It seemed nice in the fact that you can review pics right in the field?????????

sheepheadmaster

Stealth Cams are junk, stick with the cudde.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

I second that motion…I’ve had friends and relatives that have had these. They go through batteries, they take pics of nothing or a deer’s butt because they don’t trigger fast enough….Do I need to go on?

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

I second that motion…I’ve had friends and relatives that have had these. They go through batteries, they take pics of nothing or a deer’s butt because they don’t trigger fast enough….Do I need to go on?

big_g
    Isle, MN

The trigger speed was a major factor which sold me on the Cudde. 3/4 of a second, compared to 3 to 4 seconds.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

The trigger speed was a major factor which sold me on the Cudde. 3/4 of a second, compared to 3 to 4 seconds.

big g

coppertop
    Central MN

Looking forward to seeing your pics G. Just got some film developed today. A few does, a tiny, tiny fawn, must have been a late one, one little velvet buck and to my disgust some guys head looking in the lense, close enough to lick the lense, private property to boot, not too happy!

coppertop
    Central MN

Looking forward to seeing your pics G. Just got some film developed today. A few does, a tiny, tiny fawn, must have been a late one, one little velvet buck and to my disgust some guys head looking in the lense, close enough to lick the lense, private property to boot, not too happy!

crankin3737

http://www.chasingame.com/
    This website has some great resources for people that are looking for trail cameras. They also have a lot of user questions that are very helpful. Right now I am serving in Iraq, but always doing my homework to get ready to do some rippin when I get home on leave in a couple of weeks.
    Chip

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.