Hunting Gloves – Pheasant

• AnotherFisherman

What type of gloves do you use while pheasant hunting? Going to be chilly this weekend by the looks of it and may have to pick up a new pair of gloves.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I prefer not to use gloves unless its below about 40 degrees, but I have two pairs that I use if needed.

1) A thin pair of those fabric stretch ones. The ones you can buy just about anywhere and they are a 3 pack for about 5 bucks.

2) A pair of Cabela’s trigger finger wind stoppers. The whole glove is a wind proof material except the trigger finger on each hand which is more of a neoprene type material so it is much smaller, and can fit inside the trigger guard to shoot. I’ve had these for about 15 years and I haven’t seen them in the store for a while now. They are not waterproof, but I don’t hunt in the rain anyways.

I would say I use the thin pair until it drops do about 20 degrees, then I switch over to the wind stoppers. Once it drops into the single digits, I use both, with the small pair layered underneath the wind stoppers with the specialized trigger fingers. The key to using gloves that you can operate a shotgun efficiently with. Its hard to find a pair that can do that.

This is about the closest I could find to the ones I use, only the trigger finger is a little smaller than these.

Attachments:
    1. 18JAAMGRTXNSGLVDGAOA_Realtree_EDGE.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im an anomaly. I cant hunt with anything other than jersey gloves. I just grab some frost or spit on them to be a little more grippy. Anything else and I cant comfortably feel the safety and trigger.

CaptainMusky

I like this type. They arent perfect, but I feel they are warmer than traditional gloves, plus they have a pocket inside for a handwarmer.

Attachments:
    1. 1-2.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I like this type. They arent perfect, but I feel they are warmer than traditional gloves, plus they have a pocket inside for a handwarmer.

The problem with those is that all your fingers are either exposed or covered and you can’t pull the trigger quick enough if you have the cover on. You need something that you can instantly use when a rooster flushes without delay.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I struggled with this for years. I found these Flexzilla Hydrahyde gloves at Menard’s a few years ago, and I love them. If it’s really cold, I’ll stick a handwarmer in each palm.

Attachments:
    1. 20201013_133250.jpg

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I tend to never wear gloves, especially when doing something as active as pheasant hunting. If I did though, I’d look for wool Mittens that are fingerless so you can still use your fingers!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Try mechanics gloves, they are built to let you have dexterity, the key is to pick the correct size for your hand so it is not to loose. But I will go no gloves as long as I can stand it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In warm weather, I have a pair of calfskin “roper” gloves I found on a trip to Montana. They fit very close, kind of like those cheap high dexterity cloth work gloves. But since they are leather, they protect the backs of my hands which is what I need.

Good protection from thistles, brambles, and then you can grab a winged one from a dog and don’t have to worry about getting beaked or spurred.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

But I will go no gloves as long as I can stand it.

I used to be that way, too, but once I found some that I liked, I find that I actually wear gloves more often than not now. I like the protection. It does take some time to get used to shooting with gloves on, though.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

No gloves. Would rather freeze than wear them

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No gloves. Would rather freeze than wear them

Lol there was a guy in our deer camp years ago that NEVER wore gloves. Even when it was below zero with the wind howling. He left the lodge every day bare handed, and he had huge hands like the size of dinner plates. I always wondered how he could tolerate those temps but maybe it has more to do with will power than anything.

steelslinger71

I use a pair of Clam Ice Armor gloves when cold weather pheasant hunting. Good warmth and dexterity. Used to have an off beat pair of liner gloves from Wally World that worked great until they wore out. Can’t find them anymore.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I actually prefer to wear gloves all the time, even when it’s warm. Tight form fitting gloves. They work until it’s starts getting very cold (winter weather) since they help keep your hands off the cold metal. When it’s Very cold, I’ll be wearing glovmitts.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I wear insulated and uninsulated leather shooting gloves every time I hunt. I got used to wearing gloves when I shot trap in high school, so I feel more comfortable shooting with gloves on. Add a hand warmer on the inside of your wrist if needed.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have spent hundreds of dollars on gloves over the years. Pheasant hunting and waterfowling I need good gloves to keep warm. I have had the best ones Cabelas offered all the way down to the brown jersey gloves. I can say for me the wells lamont black gloves are the best ones I have found. I buy 5 or 6 pair every fall and keep them handy. I wear them ice fishing, hunting, everything. They are cheep and good. The only time I wear something different is when I need total waterproofing.

Thermal Knit Latex Winter Grip Gloves

CaptainMusky

The problem with those is that all your fingers are either exposed or covered and you can’t pull the trigger quick enough if you have the cover on. You need something that you can instantly use when a rooster flushes without delay.

Its not a problem for me. I have a pointing dog and can usually tell when a bird is going to flush and I prepare in advance. I cannot ever recall having an issue getting ready to shoot because you just form a quick fist and the fingers pop up. You can easily do that before even shouldering your gun.

AnotherFisherman

Great responses, thanks! Glad to hear its not just me who struggles with them.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Pig skin leather gloves (my preferred work glove) has been all I’ve used even handling a cold shotgun pheasant hunting.

tornadochaser

I always wear the cheap mechanics style gloves from fleet farm/menards. Keeps my hands from getting “paper cuts” when plowing through cattails.

edge175
    Fish Central Wisconsin

Bob Allen shooting gloves or leather shooting gloves. They won’t catch all the stickers and burrs good to about 25 degrees. And those orange half covered gloves.Been using both for many years.

Attachments:
    1. BOB-ALLENGLOVES.jpg

2. orange-mittens.jpeg

gimp

I always have a good fitting pair of leather gloves in my pocket if it gets to warm I take them off, if its cooler out they are on. I don’t have any problem loading up with shells while wearing them.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Uninsulated Deerskin gloves for me. I like how soft the leather is and how they fit my hand.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.