Humminbirds answer to Garmin Panoptix

• Terny

Has Anyone herd when humminbird is suppose do introduce their version of Panoptix or what it is suppose to be like?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

not to derail the thread but what is all the hub-ub about panoptix? I don’t see how it puts more fish in the boat to be able to see a better image of what the fish is ect. Asking legitimately. Ill be looking to upgrade my electronics soon and panoptix is a feature that comes up often.

Reef W

I don’t see how it puts more fish in the boat to be able to see a better image of what the fish is ect.

It’s not because you can see what the fish is it’s that you can see what it’s doing live. It’s like having a flasher while ice fishing vs regular sonar.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

not to derail the thread but what is all the hub-ub about panoptix? I don’t see how it puts more fish in the boat to be able to see a better image of what the fish is ect. Asking legitimately. Ill be looking to upgrade my electronics soon and panoptix is a feature that comes up often.

Watch some Uncut Angling videos and you will see exactly what all the hub-ub is about.

jwellsy

Seeing fish is cool. But, they can swim pretty quickly in & out of the picture. IMHO the better I can see the structure, the better. Sight fishing fish can drive you crazy. If you know what structure they’re using, target that structure and the fish should show up.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The icefishing applications are gamechangers…the ability to drill a single hole and then scan 360 degrees to find the schools saves so much time and effort vs drilling tons of holes and checking to see if fish appear in your 20* cone angle in each one…

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I felt the same way originally with panoptix but when panoptix Livescope came out I knew it was a game changer.

This past spring on a Kansas reservoir one day we sat in one spot and caught 100+ crappie off a brush pile. It was cool but on that day just regular 2d would have worked.

The very next day we pulled up on a brush pile, caught 2 fish and then watched ALL the remaining fish swim away. After this happened on 3 consecutive brush piles we figured out that we’d have to stay 20-30 away. Made that change and proceeded to have another great day. Speaking with guys at the ramp afterwards without Livescope and they had a tough day.

I also love it for ice fishing, I use to have to drill 40-50 holes to find and stay on fish. Now it only takes a few because I can drill one hole and look 60-70’ in all directions.

But it’s still just a tool, doesn’t make them bite! I judge fishing equipment based on what I would do if it suddenly quit working and with Livescope I’d stop what I was doing and go get another one immediately!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have been using it for the better part of 2 years and it’s great in certain applications. I find myself using a mix of SI and Livescope.

Livescope is amazing for pan fishing. When fish are sitting on the bottom it’s pretty worthless. Targeting suspended fish, seeing directions they are moving, knowing their attitude towards baits is great.

If walleyes are sitting in sand dunes on the river you can’t see ’em. Right tool for the job kinda thing.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s definitely cool but no way I’m hauling that thing around the ice.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I have a hunch that Humminbird will try to improve on the mega 360 to making it live, but I have not read or seen anything about a live option from Humminbird.

I’ve used my livescope for last season’s ice fishing and I wouldn’t leave the house without it this coming season. I hole hop 95% of the time during ice season and it has been a great tool along with my flx28. For open water, I’ve used it along with my ultrex and it has been very helpful for walleye and panfish fishing. Seeing fish attack schools of baitfish is worth it.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I built a little caddy for it, sure it’s heavier than a marcum/vex but I’m not hole hopping with it all the time. We use it as a search tool and then use other flashers to stay on the move.

Ripjiggen

Doesn’t Lowrance and Garmin hold the patent on that technology. Not sure when that runs out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

again im sorry if this takes the thread away from its intent. perhaps i should just start a new thread. what ice fishing capabilities are there with it? you can drill one hole, stick it down there and it will rotate 360? That would be pretty cool. I wonder how the touch screen will hold up to the rigors of ice fishing.

Right now i use hummingbird and like it but my finder is 6 year old DI technology. Works fine but the new features out there are tantalizing, particularly SI

Ripjiggen

Yes you can do exactly that.

B-man

again im sorry if this takes the thread away from its intent. perhaps i should just start a new thread. what <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing capabilities are there with it? you can drill one hole, stick it down there and it will rotate 360? That would be pretty cool. I wonder how the touch screen will hold up to the rigors of ice fishing.

Right now i use hummingbird and like it but my finder is 6 year old DI technology. Works fine but the new features out there are tantalizing, particularly SI

The touchscreens are flawless, I’ve never had a problem with any of them (GPSmap 942xs and three 73sv pluses)

JoeMX1825
    MN

replace the obese stock battery with a Lithium and the weight issue mostly goes away, I will say the added cords can be a pita at times.

hnd

when you are spending a ton of time drilling out areas. like literally 100’s of holes, the ability to drill 10 holes and use panoptix to find schools of fish and then to stay on them is a new world.

we fish a lake in southern mn that is a huge basin bite and you are just drilling out the place until you find them. and then you continue to drill or check old holes to see where they went. set garmin in the middle and if the go just go turn the panoptix handle until you see them again and you are on them.

in open water it works very similarly.

and i’m not even talking livescope. live scope is basically the equivalent of a camera it relly is. panoptix just kind of gives you blobs but works similarly. you can identify fish with livescope.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

You guys say it limits number of holes to drill. I mostly panfish in winter and no way am I drilling 40-50 holes! If I drill 20 holes and still can’t catch fish, I may as well go home. Not for everyone just like a lot of new tech, but some think they need it so it keeps the cycle going.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

You guys say it limits number of holes to drill. I mostly <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish in winter and no way am I drilling 40-50 holes! If I drill 20 holes and still can’t catch fish, I may as well go home. Not for everyone just like a lot of new tech, but some think they need it so it keeps the cycle going.

It’s definitely not a necessity, and agree that it would not necessarily be a good investment if your fishing style is a few holes and wait them out.

However, if you prefer more of a run n gun style then you might want to look closer at it. I’d say an average outing before was 100+ holes and now around 20. But now the majority of those 20 holes are right above fish. Less time drilling equals more time catching!

Good luck out there, if anyone wants to see it in person on ice or soft water shoot me a PM.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I do not have panoptix but I will have live scope in the very near future. I run and gun on the ice and I’d love to drill way less holes and search for less time.

BrianF

For those with the LS Ice Bundle, do yourself a huge favor and buy an 18ah lithium battery from amped. You shed over 4lbs in weight, have much greater run time, and re-charging is far quicker. Superior to the original lead acid battery in every way.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Has Anyone herd when humminbird is suppose do introduce their version of Panoptix or what it is suppose to be like?

I have heard talk from 2 different people that are in the know, that Humminbird is working on it.

I have not heard the when part. I would have thought they would have announced something by now if you was coming to market for next summer. I hope I am wrong.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thread Derailed, but some interesting discussion came out of it.

Here is one of the Uncut Angling Videos someone was talking about. Very impressive technology with a learning curve. A few of the NWT guys are using it and I would say there success rate is 50/50 still. I think in the right conditions the advantage it gives is unbeatable.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I wouldn’t go with out it. I have panoptix standard on the boat it marks many more then the 2d. and livescope is a game changer in the ability to cast at the fish see it react and even tell what kind of fish vs guessing are you looking as suckers walleyes etc. also sent the structure how it looks etc it is by far worth the price tag.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m waiting for the technology to mature a little more (Livescope 2.0?) and get lighter and fewer parts to the system, then i’ll make the jump.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.