Humminbird Helix Ice Options

• Walleye Hungry

Can someone lead me to a side by side comparison of the normal helix 7 ice vs the Humminbird® Ice Helix 7 CHIRP Sonar/GPS G2 Combo. I am struggling to find the differences and am looking to upgrade prior to the ice season from a ice55. Also does anyone want to buy a slightly used ice55 hahaha (i will post that in classifieds later).

The only reason i want to upgrade is to have the maps and flasher all in one. Trying to decide whether its worth buying the helix 7 or whatever this chirp g2 thing is.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys. Looking forward to the ice season.

-Stay Hungry-

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Following as I’d like to setup a Helix 5 for ice.

Brady Valberg

Get the g2 GPS…make your own lake maps throughout the summer in the boat if u can and then u will have a way better map for your bodies of water

Walleye Hungry

Thanks boys! Looks like i will be getting the g2. Now to sell the ice55!!

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

I actually did this exact thing this year. I already own the ICE 55 and love it. It’s been great for the last 3 seasons. But I bought the Helix 7 G2 GPS with DI along with the V7 Minnesota map chip for my boat and a RAM mount.
    First of all, for the boat, I am very pleased with the performance. The only knock I will give it is that it seems that the GPS receiver is really sensitive. I can’t get a lock anywhere but on a lack or an open field. Thinking of sending it in for service by Humminbird (after ice season of course!)
    Secondly, and thankfully, Humminbird just last week released an update for G2 helix models which allows them to be used with the new CHIRP ice transducer (XI 9 1521). Best of all, once you enter ice fishing mode, the software updates allow it to operate exactly like the new CHIRP ICE Helix models! This is huge. All the same features with split screens, IR, etc.. And one cool thing is that in ice mode, the waypoints save as IC# instead of WP#.
    Honestly, it really is the best machine on the market. Humminbird has hit a solid home run here.
    I guess I can think of one more knock. Humminbird absolutely gets it wrong in their pricing for accessories. For me to buy their shuttle with 1521 transducer would set me back $250 bucks which is about $100 more than I’d be willing to spend. So I’m going to make my own shuttle and call it good. I really wish they would do something about that though.

Brandon P

I picked up the Heix 7 chirp SI for my boat, then got the ice pack with ice ducer. Dual use for me was key, as i could mark spots during open water and then go back to those spots during hard water.
    I theory you can use the open water transducer for ice (ive seen some elaborate set ups) but the SI is useless unless it is moving, but the DI function is good around structure, i.e. cribs/brush piles and such.

Branden Visser

The real question is the new Helix 7 g2 chirp with the new ice update worth selling the Marcum lx7 for? I’m not sold yet, but having mapping data right on my ice unit seems like an enticing feature. I have the new Helix 7 g2 on my boat, just would have to get the ice pack stuff to try it out. Decisions!

Walleye Hungry

not too change the subject but what would you guys say a fair price is for an ice55? good condition, no scuffs or holes, zippers work blah blah blah.

I am 100% sold on the g2 unit now, but the wife only will allow me to buy it if i sell my old one…the downfall of many expensive hobbies i have

munchy
    NULL

And one cool thing is that in ice mode, the waypoints save as IC# instead of WP#.

I did not realize there was a menu and waypoint difference between the Ice and Open Water modes. I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!

Just purchased my 1521 transducer yesterday. BTW I found the best price for it on hodgesmarine.com ($72.05 w/ free shipping).

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

The real question is the new Helix 7 g2 chirp with the new ice update worth selling the Marcum lx7 for? I’m not sold yet, but having mapping data right on my ice unit seems like an enticing feature. I have the new Helix 7 g2 on my boat, just would have to get the ice pack stuff to try it out. Decisions!

I would say yes. I have never used the Lx7, but understand it to be really good. However, the Helix offers so many more features and benefits. I’m not even sure it’s a fair comparison.

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

And one cool thing is that in ice mode, the waypoints save as IC# instead of WP#.

I did not realize there was a menu and waypoint difference between the Ice and Open Water modes. I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!

Just purchased my 1521 transducer yesterday. BTW I found the best price for it on hodgesmarine.com ($72.05 w/ free shipping).

Yep, when you start ice mode now, the system actually restarts…so that should tell you something.
    The waypoint differences and the curser is different too. Just a pin instead of a boat! lol
    hodgesmarine, I’ll have to check that out for sure!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

SI is useless unless it is moving,

Very common misunderstanding.
    Makes me laugh Everytime I hear it.

It is just as useful when not moving as your 2d sonar… Fish must enter the path of the beam. No different. The beams are though.

I’m staring at my si more than 2d when anchored. Oh, look at the steady stream of fish on starboard side.

I have used si under ice. It can put you on structure and can help identify where you should drill your next hole. Clunky and not really meant for ice though.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I just upgraded to 1.54 last night. This new Ice mode looks awesome! although, I wish they would release a tech note describing the new functionality.
    Through playing around, I found out that the check button cycles through the IR modes, and that the direction pad adds zoom (which will take some getting used to), and adds a depth marker, which I’m guessing is to be a quick reference if you’re fishing a specific depth, or maybe to see if the bottom is moving. A few of the really nice features are the cone angle and area on the bottom display (not sure if it’s a real calculation based on depth or not), and the battery meter.

Anyways, my initial impressions are that this is going to be a great upgrade to an already impressive device. I’m looking forward to running it next to my vexilar and figuring out which one I like better. Can’t wait for the hard stuff!

munchy
    NULL

On the G2 CHIRP can you adjust the max depth, ping speed, surface clutter, etc from ice mode? On the original Helix turning on ice mode would set everything to auto – it sucked, bad.

Just updated and it certainly looks like it. Can go from “Auto” all the way up to 1875ft.

Playing around with it off the water right now it’s looking like this thing is gonna give my LX7 a run for its money this year.

Attachments:
    1. AEEF7D41-87D2-4895-8697-F75812323CA9.jpeg

Eric G
    Eagle River,WI

ok for anyone that has the gen1 helix 5 or 7 ice units I just got done talking with humminbird and they confirmed that the ice transducer XI 9 20 will work with the new G2 units…just saved myself a bunch of money and now only need to buy the gimbal bracket for the 7 to fit in my humminbird bag

Live Chat transcript

CHAT STARTED AT 11:12 AM, 03 Nov 2017.

ERIC

I currently have a gen 1 ice helix 5 and purchased a helix 7 g2 which I have upgraded with the new ice fishing update….I am wondering in the helix 7 will work with the gen 1 helix 5 ice transducer 11:12 AM

You are now chatting with dturner

DTURNER

Hello Eric, my name is Dawn, I will be helping you today. 11:13 AM

ERIC

hi Dawn thank you for your help 11:13 AM

DTURNER

Yes, this unit will use the XI 9 20 as well as the XI 9 1521 if you have the G2 models. 11:14 AM

ERIC

oh fantastic…so all I will need to buy is a bracket for the helix 7 to fit in the bag then correct? 11:14 AM

DTURNER

The GM H7 is the gimbal mount for the HELIX 7 that will need to be obtained or you can use the mount included with the unit upon purchase to put in the bag. 11:15 AM

ERIC

ok thank you very much thats all I needed to know Thank you again Dawn! 11:16 AM

DTURNER

It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great day! 11:17 AM

ERIC

you as well ) 11:18 AM

Live Chat by eGain

munchy
    NULL

gen1 helix 5 or 7 ice units I just got done talking with humminbird and they confirmed that the ice transducer XI 9 20 will work with the new G2 units…

Correct, however it will not have Chirp.

skiman39

The Sportsman Guide just had a sweet deal on the New Helix 7 Ice G2 units when members bought them on there member “double discount promo” There normal price for members was $539 before the double discount, but under the double discount promo they were 20% off which brought them down to $480 + shipping for the Helix 7 Ice G2 Unit, that’s a pretty good deal! They do offer the double discount pretty regularly, just thought some people might like to know.

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

A few of the really nice features are the cone angle and area on the bottom display (not sure if it’s a real calculation based on depth or not),

It is a real calculation but funny that they are rounding up.

FRS

The Sportsman’s Guide offer of “double discount” sounds real good
    but there’s fine print. No free shipping, that’s $20 and they charge out of state sales tax plus a sales tax on shipping. VERY shifty those guys.

skiman39

The Sportsmans Guide doesn’t charge any out of state tax or any sales tax on shipping!? The only time you pay tax there is if your from Minnesota too just like they are, then you pay tax on the item only, never tax on the shipping!? I live in Wisconsin and have bought quite abit of stuff from them & have never paid any tax. Yes there is shipping but it is only $20 and that still puts the entire Helix 7 Ice G2 unit to your house for only $ 499.00 I was just putting it out there for info for anybody looking for one, cause I think its a pretty good deal.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I’ve recently purchased a used 2014 Helix 7 SI model without the G2 + CHIRP for my boat this spring. The hummingbird website doesn’t make it very clear, but will this unit work on the ice with the XI 9 20 ‘ducer?

munchy
    NULL

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I’ve recently purchased a used 2014 Helix 7 SI model without the G2 + CHIRP for my boat this spring. The hummingbird website doesn’t make it very clear, but will this unit work on the ice with the XI 9 20 ‘ducer?

Yup!

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

Yes. It will ONLY work with that transducer. the XI 9 20 for the ICE units will not work and neither will the new CHIRP XI 9 1521

mark lesniewski

Cant seem to find the update to ice mode for my helix 9 g2n chirp. wondering if its only available on the 5/7 models? can’t find update 1.540

cheers

Cant seem to find the update to ice mode for my helix 9 g2n chirp. wondering if its only available on the 5/7 models? can’t find update 1.540

Phone HB they are very good at helping . I had the same issue with mine , Mrs HBird was very patient and helpful and guided me through the whole process

djshannon
    Crosslake

Cheers, did I understand you correctly,
    there is an ice mode update for a Helix 9.

cheers

no sorry I have the 7

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.