HUB Skid House Frame

• ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m thinking of ditching the old wheel house (snow is killing me) and moving to the large HUB style for group fishing adventures at the cabin. I was proposing the idea of making a sled-flooring skid to place the HUB onto…and came across this.

Thinking of something similar but not wanting it so high off the ice. Would also consider cutting, adding hinges and folding it at the center. Would love to hear some creativeness and other cheap options. I would love the ability to also secure the HUB to the sled/flooring so I don’t need to use ice anchors.

HUB type: Eskimo Fatfish 9416i…would need a flooring/sled for this size. 167″x94″.

I am also considering only making the flooring 4′ wide (simplicity) but the entire 167″ L and just use the open edges along the sides to drill holes…nice little plank down the center.

Attachments:
    1. Eskimo-FatFish-9416i-Pop-Up-Hub-Shelter-ice-fishing.jpg

tradersbayrookie

I built a sled for a homemade ice house when I was younger that utilized 4″ PVC pipes as skis, I bent the ends up with a heat gun/torch. It Worked pretty good, very lightweight and slid extremely easy. We even used it as a 10 person toboggan after it retired as an ice house.

My house was 4′ x 8′ there were 4 skis 1 ft apart and they were 10′ long with the last foot on each end bent up.

I’d probably keep it at 4′ wide which leaves you flexibility on hole placement. Put PVC skis 1 foot apart, And make the sled 7′ long hinged so it’ll fold to 14′ long or 167″. You wont get away from needing anchors. But it’ll be relatively cheap, lightweight, and won’t tie you down to one type of use with the hub.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I built a sled for a homemade ice house when I was younger that utilized 4″ PVC pipes as skis, I bent the ends up with a heat gun/torch. It Worked pretty good, very lightweight and slid extremely easy. We even used it as a 10 person toboggan after it retired as an ice house.

My house was 4′ x 8′ there were 4 skis 1 ft apart and they were 10′ long with the last foot on each end bent up.

I’d probably keep it at 4′ wide which leaves you flexibility on hole placement. Put PVC skis 1 foot apart, And make the sled 7′ long hinged so it’ll fold to 14′ long or 167″. You wont get away from needing anchors. But it’ll be relatively cheap, lightweight, and won’t tie you down to one type of use with the hub.

I like it!

No problems with people standing on it? I’ll propably have about 6 guys on it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Do you want to be able to sleep in it?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Do you want to be able to sleep in it?

No. We typically go up 4-5 times a year as a big group and would just like a “hang out” room while playing cards and fishing. If a sled/floor was simple enough to make and hull out, it would be ideal vs the wet slippery ice.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Are you not even fishing in it? If I just wanted an easy to deal with hang out room on ice I would look at some sort of foam floor (lots of people use those interlocking pieces) and one of those huge hexagon popups that clam or eskimo make. An 11.5′ diameter rumpus room seems pretty decent.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Are you not even fishing in it? If I just wanted an easy to deal with hang out room on ice I would look at some sort of foam floor (lots of people use those interlocking pieces) and one of those huge hexagon popups that clam or eskimo make. An 11.5′ diameter rumpus room seems pretty decent.

There will be fishing in it. I’ve sat in a HUB all day and though it’s fine for straight fishing, the ice gets sloppy, espically if people are coming and going all day. Good idea on the foam pads. Have used them before.

Ice Cap

You probably don’t want to spend this much if your going to only use it 4 or 5 times but then again if you can get your large group to pool their money it might work for you. I really like this concept as you can get a ATV or side by side on it as well and serves more than one purpose. Seems like these guys put some thought into this. If you put a set of wheel ski’s you it you can probably get around pretty good towing it behind a snowmobile even.

But with the amount of snow on the ice now you probably would be out of luck.

https://theblackholeiceshack.com/

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I made a base for a 949I. I used two 4×8 shts of plywood hinged down the middle & framed with 2×4’s. The underside has styro insulation. I ran bolts through from the bottom to pass through the ice anchor eyes then secure with wingnuts and washers. I used a jigsaw set at 45° to cut out the holes so I had covers. I cut pieces of a webbed belt about 6″ long and secured 3 around each hole with snaps on the hole cover. I put a piece of 1/4 inch plywood on the underside of one half so when it’s folded in half I can strap down gear. I have 4 skis connected butt to butt, I thought about pvc but was concerned about it reacting like a tube behind a bout going thru turns. I have a angled piece to displace snow that hooks on.

It’s heavy but easily handled by 2 guys. I’ve enjoyed spending nights in it, I’ve always enjoyed winter camping and thought I’d combine it with fishing.

Sorry, I don’t have pics handy at this time.

Any ?’s shoot me a pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.