Hub or flip over for a one man operation.

• Nate Ackerman
    Rock County MN

Currently have a suitcase style clam. Wanting something easier and lighter. Any suggestions?
    Pros-cons?

Gilgetter

I have both, it all depends on how you like to fish, if you set up and wait, the hub is roomier and i like that you can stand up and walk around in them. If you are a hole hopper I personally think it takes longer to make moves with them. The first setup is pretty quick and easy but its harder to take down and set back up once frozen and stiff. I have an otter cottage flip over which is a large one person setup. I like it far better than the hub for hole hopping. Hooked to an ATV its about a min or two and you are loaded and moving.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

Both are fine, but I would recommend a flip over if you move around much at all. Hubs are nice for space but as Jason notes they are tough once they get frozen up. Only con to a sled is they can be difficult to load up by yourself without taking everything out of the sled.

Gilgetter

Both are fine, but I would recommend a flip over if you move around much at all. Hubs are nice for space but as Jason notes they are tough once they get frozen up. Only con to a sled is they can be difficult to load up by yourself without taking everything out of the sled.

Good call, the majority of the time mine stays hooked to the ATV and goes on the trailer. But it can get awkward lifting into the back of the truck solo.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

Good call, the majority of the time mine stays hooked to the ATV and goes on the trailer. But it can get awkward lifting into the back of the truck solo.

[/quote]

Yeah, I fish solo a lot and I love my 2 man Eskimo Sierra because it’s still light enough to lift into the back of the truck by myself. It can get tricky, but it’s manageable. That is the main reason I have steered clear of the otters. Too heavy for that type of thing.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Both have their place. But I’d always pick a flip over if I could only have one. Sled to haul all your stuff and is just more compact in my opinion. If you want more room, like I do, get a 2 person one. I have a small 2 man and it’s light enough for me to fill completely with gear and haul around and even load in my pickup by myself.

Ice Cap

If you fish by yourself enough you will want a flip over. Friend of mine went out with his new hub the other day with his young daughter. There was a good breeze blowing. He never could get the hub set up by himself as the wind just kept trying to make it a kite.
    Hubs are nice for the room and it’s nice to have one around for when you’re going with a couple guys but not for the solo fisherman.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you fish by yourself enough you will want a flip over. Friend of mine went out with his new hub the other day with his young daughter. There was a good breeze blowing. He never could get the hub set up by himself as the wind just kept trying to make it a kite.
    Hubs are nice for the room and it’s nice to have one around for when you’re going with a couple guys but not for the solo fisherman.

Tell your buddy to anchor 1 leg of it before he tries to pop it up. That’s the trick when setting on windy days

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Flip over, way easier to move around. I always feel a bit committed once i have my hub setup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.