How would you have reacted?

• Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

His dog never attacked the guy, so I don’t see how it is relevant.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

His dog never attacked the guy, so I don’t see how it is relevant.

Define attacked.

Just because it didn’t bite doesn’t mean it was an innocent encounter. If this happens enough, you may lose your pet.

The point is that it doesn’t take an attack/bite to invoke a reasonable defensive response. The threat is all it takes.

Any responsible dog owner should know this.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Anywho, the point is moot. To each their own, and so on and so fourth.

Sharon, please don’t interpret my posts as being confrontational. It was not at all, or not intended. And the point…maybe not moot at all.

There are a lot of things that can be learned from these “civil” discussions and we can better understand a lot of our personalities and…yes, emotions. I don’t find any loss or detriment to anyone reading or commenting on this thread.

And just to share how fond I am of big dogs that can be unpredictable, here is my late beloved but “unpredictable” Sadie.

There will be no other like her in my entire life.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0054.jpg

Timmy

So he kicked the dog twice? Evidently, the 1st kick was not a severe enough deterrent to make the dog avoid a 2nd kick?? I am not judging, just asking the question….. what kind of severity to the kick? Evidently it did not injure the dog, and if not, my rationale would be “lesson learned”(for all parties)….. I have a couple dogs that I love, but there are times that they would be deserving of a kick, even if I wouldn’t like seeing it.

Without knowing all sides to the story, it’s really tough to evaluate facts without emotion clouding the mind.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So he kicked the dog twice? Evidently, the 1st kick was not a severe enough deterrent to make the dog avoid a 2nd kick?? I am not judging, just asking the question….. what kind of severity to the kick? Evidently it did not injure the dog, and if not, my rationale would be “lesson learned”(for all parties)….. I have a couple dogs that I love, but there are times that they would be deserving of a kick, even if I wouldn’t like seeing it.

Without knowing all sides to the story, it’s really tough to evaluate facts without emotion clouding the mind.

I’ll admit that I wondered the same thing. I get a feeling we’d know if it was severe enough to cause injury.

Personally I don’t think it matters much. If the dog had died or required veterinary attention, I might think differently. I don’t know. Public property and dog ownerships responsibilities muddy the waters for sure.

All I know is that this is an excellent learning opportunity for everyone.

riverruns
    Inactive

If I saw one of my little girls (dogs) being viciously beaten, right or wrong, I probably would be going to jail. Hopefully I am never in that situation and do all I can to be a responsible pet owner but I dont have patience for people with irrational fears or those mean to animals.

So where does it state that one of the little girls (dog) were, was being viciously beaten? Seems like a leftist news channel jumping in changing a story. whistling

People have fears look around. I’m sure you do also. Just not recognized yet. ?

Mean to animals no. I agree. Shoot and eat what I can. Mmm. Dang good tasting. waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

Mean to animals no. I agree. Shoot and eat what I can. Mmm. Dang good tasting. waytogo
    [/quote]

To be politically correct it shouldn’t have said shoot and eat.

Should be stated as harvest and eat. coffee

Disclaimer, No animals were harmed in this response. toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How many beers did you kill? toast

Err, I mean harvest?

riverruns
    Inactive

LOL. peace

huskerdu

Teach your hound to STOP! Or Sit! Your problem , no bad dogs only owners. Sorry some people are not dog people, I have 2 Viszlas if wondering.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Teach your hound to STOP! Or Sit! Your problem , no bad dogs only owners. Sorry some people are not dog people,

Agree for the most part except some dogs are simply aggressive by nature, just like people, not wired correctly.

BTW by ordering from Amazon you are essentially inviting someone onto your property to ensure proper delivery of the package. It is up to you as an animal owner to provide an environment where the delivery guy can do his job.

If you don’t like his reaction to your dog don’t order from Amazon again…problem solved.

Hopefully all animal owners understand it is their responsibility to follow all applicable laws regarding control and leash use.

Signed, a dog owner who understands that I am solely responsible ethically and legally for the behavior of my animal (with the emphasis on animal, even though she is an integral part of my family).

riverfishin11

Your fault dog is not controlled I got 2 pups myself they always on leash when out side in the city

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I think the only way I could be on the OP’s side was if someone on the street initiated the meeting by stopping or talking to the dog and then changed their mind when the dog started running towards them.
    We walk our dogs down a dirt road in the country and always have dogs running up to us. I unsure of the outcome every single time I see another dog heading our way. The Mrs does not walk far enough to have this happen to her alone because of what could happen.
    For reference we are animal people, and she is a vet tech.
    Generally the only time I feel comfortable with a dog running up to me is when it has that big stupid smile on it’s face.

TripleA
    Blaine

Only issue is you yelled at him, that was well past the point of words….

TripleA
    Blaine

I think the only way I could be on the OP’s side was if someone on the street initiated the meeting by stopping or talking to the dog and then changed their mind when the dog started running towards them.
    We walk our dogs down a dirt road in the country and always have dogs running up to us. I unsure of the outcome every single time I see another dog heading our way. The Mrs does not walk far enough to have this happen to her alone because of what could happen.
    For reference we are animal people, and she is a vet tech.
    Generally the only time I feel comfortable with a dog running up to me is when it has that big stupid smile on it’s face.

So you instantly kick every dog that approaches You? Ohh you don’t??? …

Shoulda whooped that dude or at least tried….

TripleA
    Blaine

On your property or not, you are responsible for your animal’s actions. If the delivery man was walking up to your door on your property you are still at fault if your dog attacks. This would obviously not apply if an intruder was approaching your house on your property. I would be thankful if I were you that this did not end up worse for your dog.

“If the dog attacks” I agree.

If someone intimidating walks up to you do you instantly start punching??? Nope!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think a of people simply haven’t had a lot of exposure to dogs, liking them or otherwise, and simply tense up when one is around and the dog responds to that. Dogs can sense this.However, it’s the homeowner’s responsibility to keep an animal in check either by leash or a fence, not only along the front public walk but also on the walk from the public walk to the front entry, especially if mail is delivered directly to the house. Delivery people and postal workers probably lodge the most complaints about dogs and some will carry mace or other spray deterrents. I think that in the case of a fed ex or whatever delivery guy assuming safe passage to the front door should be the homeowner’s responsibility by keeping any and all animals in the house if they are expecting a delivery. I had a springer spaniel I could not leave on the front enclosed porch until AFTER the mail had been delivered because he had this thing for the mailman’s fingers slipping the mail thru the slot. The same dog could sit on the front steps when the mailman came and delivered the mail in the slot and the mailman could pet and wrestle with the hounds all he wanted under those circumstances.

For the most part I love dogs and yet have been chewed on a couple time that were definitely my fault. Once was not my fault. Ma and I walk almost every day and we encounter dogs in yard and with people while on leashes and my protocol is to ask if the dog is friendly or to hold out the back of my hand so said critter can smell before I pet. I’ve never kicked a dog, but I have cuffed a couple saying NO. I guess I can see someone who has less confidence in dogs kicking to put a dog at bay if he/she should feel threatened on a public venue but if they are on private property or reaching into private property maybe they should just assume that the dog will assume that they shouldn’t be there and may react in that manner. Right, wrong or otherwise will always come down to whether its a private property or public venue issue. If I had a dog that liked to bark and run up to the sidewalk, fence or no, I’d have said dog confined to the back yard…..end of public issue.

TripleA
    Blaine

I think a of people simply haven’t had a lot of exposure to dogs, liking them or otherwise, and simply tense up when one is around and the dog responds to that. Dogs can sense this.However, it’s the homeowner’s responsibility to keep an animal in check either by leash or a fence, not only along the front public walk but also on the walk from the public walk to the front entry, especially if mail is delivered directly to the house. Delivery people and postal workers probably lodge the most complaints about dogs and some will carry mace or other spray deterrents. I think that in the case of a fed ex or whatever delivery guy assuming safe passage to the front door should be the homeowner’s responsibility by keeping any and all animals in the house if they are expecting a delivery. I had a springer spaniel I could not leave on the front enclosed porch until AFTER the mail had been delivered because he had this thing for the mailman’s fingers slipping the mail thru the slot. The same dog could sit on the front steps when the mailman came and delivered the mail in the slot and the mailman could pet and wrestle with the hounds all he wanted under those circumstances.

For the most part I love dogs and yet have been chewed on a couple time that were definitely my fault. Once was not my fault. Ma and I walk almost every day and we encounter dogs in yard and with people while on leashes and my protocol is to ask if the dog is friendly or to hold out the back of my hand so said critter can smell before I pet. I’ve never kicked a dog, but I have cuffed a couple saying NO. I guess I can see someone who has less confidence in dogs kicking to put a dog at bay if he/she should feel threatened on a public venue but if they are on private property or reaching into private property maybe they should just assume that the dog will assume that they shouldn’t be there and may react in that manner. Right, wrong or otherwise will always come down to whether its a private property or public venue issue. If I had a dog that liked to bark and run up to the sidewalk, fence or no, I’d have said dog confined to the back yard…..end of public issue.

Again what is more dangerous, a human or a dog?……

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

What kind of question is that?

The answer could be both.

For those that have lost a loved one to either…ask pool2fools wife or her parents what was more dangerous.

TripleA
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TripleA wrote:</div>

What kind of question is that?

The answer could be both.

For those that have lost a loved one to either…ask pool2fools wife or her parents what was more dangerous.

It’s not even close. Not even by a longshot.

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.