How would you have reacted?

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I would have lost my s#!% if someone were to kick my dogs! Whether you personally know a dog or not you can tell if they’re running towards you happily or defensively.

I’m sorry Sharon but absolutely NOT! I am not a dog guy and I cannot tell if a dog is going to eat me or wants me to scratch his nuts for him. If it’s a pup and tail I wagging and he’s gently hopping towards me,, sure. But that’s not usually the case. For dog owners yeah it’s probly easier to tell but man when a dog walks up to me with no emotion I just go with the fact that he is going to eat me,, I stay calm and do not put my hand out. I’ve never been in a bad situation and never want to be but I trust dogs that I don’t know about as much as I trust a known terrorist. And this delivery guy, while in the wrong, likely experiences ALL kinds of dogs so I don’t blame him for a quick reaction if he thought he was in danger. I’m just saying it from another perspective.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

That’s a tough one for sure, I’d be pee’d as heck, but there is nothing you can do. You were ultimately in the wrong for not having control of your dog.

That said, Amazon has 2 day delivery on E Fences, maybe you’ll get the same driver…

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hope you and your dog learned a lesson there. Also, think about this. Only had to draw my hand gun three times in the last 15+ years. All on dogs. Been bitten before. This will NEVER happen to me again.

-J.

Charles

I would have gone off on the guy, I kind have a temper lol.

Side note when in the hell does amazon ship packages in a black car?? I have never heard of that one unless it was your postal worker.

Reef W

Side note when in the hell does amazon ship packages in a black car?? I have never heard of that one unless it was your postal worker.

They have their own delivery service for some areas that is just the driver’s personal vehicles.

404 ERROR
    MN

Not everyone loves dogs, some are even deathly afraid of them (weird to me, but there really are people out there). No one here has a clue whether the guy who did the kicking has been a victim of a violent dog, so let’s reserve judgement. Let’s say you’re afraid of spiders. One comes “happily” running up to you. What do you do? Stomp on it or walk away? You bet your butt you’ll stomp on it.

Not laying any judgement on Auto or the kicking guy, even though that guys actions are a little angering to me. He was defending himself from a “perceived” threat, the same thing any of us would do if we felt threatened. With that being said, I would never feel threatened by a dog, so I would never do what that guy did. My neighbor avoids my GSP at all costs. Has anyone ever heard of a violent German Shorthair? I didn’t think so…but he’s still afraid and he has every right to be.

Sounds like there is a little fault on both parties involved. Best to do what Gill said, swallow your pride, learn from it and start anew.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

A lot of good points so far and I appreciate the feedback. I also appreciate everyone remaining civil and not breaking into arguments as is usually the case on controversial posts. I have since cooled down about it and I’m just glad no one was hurt or arrested and my dog is ok. And yes my dad got his package lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hope you and your dog learned a lesson there. Also, think about this. Only had to draw my hand gun three times in the last 15+ years. All on dogs. Been bitten before. This will NEVER happen to me again.

-J.

Best point so far. If this doesn’t motivate someone to be more in control of their dog, nothing will.

I’m a big dog person and can honestly say I’d never reach my hand out to a dog I don’t know without being fully confident the dog is ok with me.

We live in a day in age where people have “less time” to raise their kids and train their dogs properly. I’d imagine there are no fewer dangerous family dogs than there were 30-40-50 years ago.

Rick Janssen

All great points. My wife has been bitten on two different occasions by dogs that “don’t worry our dog would NEVER bite anyone”. As you might guess, she is pretty afraid of dogs now. We walk often IN TOWN where we live and I am amazed how many times a dog will come at us on our walks. I am very fast at jumping between the wife and the dog and I would do ANYTHING to defend her. Most of the dogs I can tell are just looking for attention, but some seem pretty aggressive and I have been ready to kick if needed. I think animal owners forget that their pet is pretty friendly to them, but sometimes it is the pets natural tendency to be protective of the owner and they can attack. Take it from my wife. Glad it all worked out well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I saw one of my little girls (dogs) being viciously beaten, right or wrong, I probably would be going to jail. Hopefully I am never in that situation and do all I can to be a responsible pet owner but I dont have patience for people with irrational fears or those mean to animals.

404 ERROR
    MN

I remember a news story years ago in Tampa…guys dog began attacking someone, victim began beating the dog to stop the attack and the dog owner shot and killed the victim to eliminate the threat against his dog…emotions run high in situations like that…guess who’s in prison?…

Not trying to de-rail, just explaining how emotional it can be to see a seemingly friendly dog flip a switch and do something unexpected.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Hopefully I am never in that situation and do all I can to be a responsible pet owner but I dont have patience for people with irrational fears or those mean to animals.

Very well said, and I totally agree. I don’t have a phobia towards any animal and I find it difficult to empathize with people when they overreact to animals. I’m not saying right or wrong here – I just don’t understand it.

basseyes

Get both sides, but where’s the video and rant?

You seem to understand the situation and have learned from it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks for bringing this up. It gives us all the opportunity to think through a potentially likely situation and make better decisions moving forward. It may also save someone from a really bad situation.

The best part is that no one got hurt, no one is going to jail and no one is getting sued.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

It only takes ounce for a nice dog to charge you to change your mind of an unleashed dog. After the second time the muscles tighten readying to pounce on that dog. After last years ordeal with a charging dog my view has definitely changed. Sure gave me thought on my own actions with my dog.
    A one year old lab kicking it twice way excessive as we all can agree.
    Ive seen a gentle Mastiff being walked by his owner take off after my friends cat in my buds yard. Luckily my buds German Shepherd took down the Mastiff before it did harm to the cat. No worries, the Mastiff submitted to the shepherd as the shepherd had him pinned down by the neck. You just don’t know what a nice dog will do.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks for bringing this up. It gives us all the opportunity to think through a potentially likely situation and make better decisions moving forward. It may also save someone from a really bad situation.

The best part is that no one got hurt, no one is going to jail and no one is getting sued.

And it’s made us all think. This thread could keep someone from making a hasty decision, me included. I’ll be honest. I read this thread right when it was posted and it made my face red picturing a sweet dog that likes people getting kicked like that.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A dog runs at me, I lift a knee, if dog doesn’t react it gets the foot. The ones that react have been trained to not jump on new people, the others are about to be trained.

I’d say I love dogs, but it is too blanket of a statement to be true. I love trained dogs.

Dogs can be quickly trained. The people that interact with the dog can confuse their training in an instant. We were always harder on the people interacting with the dog than the dog itself. Tug on a rope… Not cool. Let that dog jump on you… Don’t do that again! Let it lick your hands…etc..
    You have to jump on people introducing your dog to bad habits, especially when that dog is a cute little puppy and everyone greets it by letting it jump on your legs.

I take the stance it is never the dogs fault.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Let’s take emotion out of it and ask what is the root cause to the kicking incident…

A dog was introduced to a person who did not want the interaction, based solely on their response to the interaction.

You could ask why didn’t they welcome the interaction… Or you could ask how you can prevent this in the future. The answer should be obvious.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Let’s take emotion out of it and ask what is the root cause to the kicking incident…

A dog was introduced to a person who did not want the interaction, based solely on their response to the interaction.

You could ask why didn’t they welcome the interaction… Or you could ask how you can prevent this in the future. The answer should be obvious.

No it’s not obvious and nothing really is that’s posted on the web. Do tell.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Thank you.

Kinda like getting pregnant… Can’t get pregnant if you don’t……Great point FBRM

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Sucks he kicked your dog, but I agree with the others here. If my dog runs out to a delivery person or anyone coming to our house, and jumps up on them, etc, he will get whapped. And not by the person he’s running to.

What fishblood said here makes sense, you kind of need to control/train your dog not to do what it did and you won’t have problems again. If not, expect it to happen. Not all people like dogs, some are scared, etc.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

A5 you should have control of your dog. That said the same thing has happened to me. I don’t always have mine leashed either. Now was there a police report filed? If so, and you have witnesses to verify your dog didn’t bite him, why wasn’t he charged for filing a false report?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thank you.

Much like pregnancy actually.

They’re are multiple measures that can be taken to prevent it….

This coming from a 33yo with a 13 yo daughter who used none of those measures when I was a typical boy in college )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thank you.

Much like pregnancy actually.

There are multiple measures that can be taken to prevent it….

This coming from a 33yo with a 13 yo daughter who used none of those measures when I was a typical boy in college )

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Hopefully I am never in that situation and do all I can to be a responsible pet owner but I dont have patience for people with irrational fears or those mean to animals.

Very well said, and I totally agree. I don’t have a phobia towards any animal and I find it difficult to empathize with people when they overreact to animals. I’m not saying right or wrong here – I just don’t understand it.

I have owned dogs and have loved them dearly, but they were MY dogs…not other people’s dogs. Not saying that I hate other dogs that weren’t mine either, but I have to totally disagree with both of you on this.

<em>I dont have patience for people with irrational fears

Irrational fears become rational fears particulrly if one has been attacked by a dog previously. How would you know?

I don’t have a phobia towards any animal and I find it difficult to empathize with people when they overreact to animals. I’m not saying right or wrong here – I just don’t understand it.

How would you define overreacting to animals?

I’m thinking if you had been mauled by a dog a time or two before, you might have a phobia now. And you might understand it a little better too.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve been attacked by cats and I have no phobia of them. Every cat is different. Generally speaking, I’m comfortable reading animals and assessing whether it’s worth the risk to approach them or let them approach me.

Let’s replace dog with man. A man walks briskly toward the general direction of a woman who, from traumatic past experiences, suddenly feels threatened and douses the man in pepper spray. Is a phobia of all men because of a few selected instances acceptable or would that seem unreasonable? It seems as unreasonable to me that someone would have such a strong reaction to all dogs from a few select incidents. But that is the definition of phobias, they are fear beyond reason and ration. It’s a hard issue to discuss because so many people are different regarding phobias or lack there of. I believe if the man who kicked the dog in the original post indeed has a phobia of dogs, perhaps a delivery man isn’t the best career choice.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Oh, come on Sharon. Comparing an attack from a cat and an attack from a dog is like…well, comparing a dog and a cat. Did the cat jump off a porch and charge across a yard at you while you were walking along the sidewalk? Has somebody’s pet house cat ever killed anyone, or inflicted major bodily harm? Like dogs have? Why would you or anyone have a fear or “phobia” of pet cats?

I’m not arguing just for the sake of argument but I can see you don’t understand.

Fear of clowns or Santa Claus is a phobia. Arachnophobia? People freaking out over the presence of harmless spiders is…yea, a phobia.

Fear of dogs is not a phobia, but can be and is a real fear for a lot of people. When I had my “friendly” yellow lab there was a neighbor that occasionally I came across while walking my dog. Despite my insistence she was “friendly” he’d become paralyzed with fear and was afraid to move. He explained that he had suffered a vicious dog attack in his life.

I would then not describe that as a “phobia” but in fact a justifiable fear.

In this thread alone, here are quotes from 3 different individual’s that I would not label as having Cynophobia

“I’m a big dog person and can honestly say I’d never reach my hand out to a dog I don’t know without being fully confident the dog is ok with me.”

“My neighbor’s friendly dog that I’ve hunted with many times decided to come up to me and just latch onto my calf for no reason. He clearly thought I was someone else but this so-called always friendly dog bit me and these things do happen. And there was nothing different looking about him. Something just went off. So now when a strange dog comes running up and I have my little kids near me you better believe I’m ready to start doing some kicking.”

And this one…

“That said, my wife’s little brother was mauled and killed by two “friendly neighbor dogs” years ago.”

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A man walks briskly toward the general direction of a woman who, from traumatic past experiences, suddenly feels threatened and douses the man in pepper spray.

If this were me, it wouldn’t take a traumatic experience to invoke a reaction against another person.

I’ve been very active in this discussion because my (now) 12 year old lab has terrified a neighbor 4 year old girl and countless others walking down the street. After the neighbor girl, I purchased a $300 e—collar to try and prevent the issue from happening again.

Since then (7 years ago), I’ve allowed my dog to wander my yard occasionally without the e-collar and has “greeted” dozens of people on the street. This thread has made me realize once isn’t acceptable. Ok, once might be forgiven but twice is certainly unacceptable.

I’m not sure how I would’ve reacted but I know now I’d be more apologetic than confrontational.

If you can’t control your pet you shouldn’t have one.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m not arguing just for the sake of argument but I can see you don’t understand.

Probably because I said that earlier. coffee

A cat will do more damage in an attack than a yorkie. So I guess the type of dog matters when speaking in terms of dog phobias? A yorkie isn’t an assault dog, but perhaps dogs over 20lbs are.

Anywho, the point is moot. To each their own, and so on and so fourth.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.