How was I able to do this?

• CaptainMusky

So somehow on Saturday the topic of passports came up at the bar and I mentioned I had a book AND a passport card. The bartender was interested to see it so I took it out and gave it to her. She said this expired last May! I said WHAT!? I went to Canada last June and they never said a thing.
    Anyways I have an enhanced drivers license so I should be fine if I dont get the new one in time, but how in the heck!?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a lapse in my passport as well this year. I just happened to notice. The new one did not take long.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If they scanned the passport (Like they do at the airport) it would have flagged the expired date. If they just looked at it to match name/address/picture, human error.

-J.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

By Road: You do not need a valid passport book to enter Canada and can use any other WHTI-compliant document, including trusted traveler cards or passport cards.

CaptainMusky

Both my passport card and book were expired and I have only ever used my card.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Both my passport card and book were expired and I have only ever used my card.

I’d chalk it up to human error like Jon stated. You’re lucky, you should have been rejected at the border.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d say you got lucky. I would guess 99/100 they would catch that at the border. The ID card is Great. For a extra 10.00 I believe the card trumps and Enhanced DL for travel and is good for 10 Years where the enhanced DL is valid for far less time. Great value if you ask me. I’ll never bother with the enhanced DL

AK Guy

Just received my passport in the mail today. It was exactly 8 weeks after I mailed in my application. Expedited would be faster, but I wasn’t in a hurry to get it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You got lucky. The next time it would likely be a different result.

I renewed mine last summer in advance of a trip to Barbados this past Fall. I didn’t pay any attention to the date of expiration either, but luckily my wife is a travel junkie and knew to the exact day when mine expired.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

So somehow on Saturday the topic of passports came up at the bar and I mentioned I had a book AND a passport card. The bartender was interested to see it so I took it out and gave it to her.

Why would you bring your passport to a bar?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I carry my passport ID card everywhere I carry my wallet. That includes bar. You never know when you will need a additional form of ID and the passport ID card trumps all others.

CaptainMusky

Its a passport card and its in my phone case along with my drivers license and fishing/hunting license.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    So somehow on Saturday the topic of passports came up at the bar and I mentioned I had a book AND a passport card. The bartender was interested to see it so I took it out and gave it to her.

I’d definitely NOT carry my Passport or Passport Card in my typical wallet, phone case, etc. The Department of State website advises against carrying it except when it’s needed as well. If someone gets their hands on it, it’s a huge step towards being able to discreetly steal your identity.

Riverrat

At the local DMV it is regularly suggested that if a person has a passport or is planning on getting one they skip the real or enhanced Id and just get a passport, and if they want something that fits in the wallet the passport card. They are better than any state issued ID in everything except transactions that require a state issued picture ID (4473). Maybe not the Arizona 25 year ID but I don’t think that comes in enhanced.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I had a buddy that used his expired passport to get into Canada and back to the USA for 3 years. The agent would just say everytime that its expired but never once was there a problem getting across and home.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This seems like a good time and place to remind people that the deadline to upgrade to a REAL ID is less than a year from now.

This was enacted by Congress way back in 2005 but has been extended a number of times to several states, including MN.

You will need a REAL ID to board domestic flights and enter federal buildings as of May 7, 2025. Passports, passport cards, enhanced DL and a number of other IDs qualify for this REAL ID requirement.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/real-id/Pages/default.aspx

CaptainMusky

I’d definitely NOT carry my Passport or Passport Card in my typical wallet, phone case, etc. The Department of State website advises against carrying it except when it’s needed as well. If someone gets their hands on it, it’s a huge step towards being able to discreetly steal your identity.

I dont go to Mpls so I have no worries.

tswoboda

I had a buddy that used his expired passport to get into Canada and back to the USA for 3 years. The agent would just say everytime that its expired but never once was there a problem getting across and home.

No one cares about your actual real life experience when they clearly read something different on the internet.

I’m actually shocked Captain isn’t still sitting in line at the US border crossing trying to get back into the US. I read in the previous border thread that US citizens can’t get back into the US without a valid passport.

coffee

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Its a passport card and its in my phone case along with my drivers license and fishing/hunting license.

I thought you had the passport book in the bar. toast toast
    I agree with Bucky, I’d only carry it when I need it.

CaptainMusky

I thought you had the passport book in the bar.
    I agree with Bucky, I’d only carry it when I need it.

All good! I dont have one to carry now since I had to send the old one back with the application this morning.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Going to Canada in July. My last international travel was to Japan for work in 2016. I got a new passport then but where is it now?
    Looked in the lock box…nope. 2nd spot…nope. 3rd spot… yay
    It’s now in the lock box. whistling

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This seems like a good time and place to remind people that the deadline to upgrade to a REAL ID is less than a year from now.

Maybe for really serious, might actually happen kinda sorta this time. rotflol

Riverrat

I believe the quote I heard from the TSA was “The REAL ID is really happening for real this time, really”.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No kidding. Enacted by Congress in 2005 and we’ll literally be 20 years later before it “might” be fully implemented.

tswoboda

Adding another data point here… I crossed the border last night and my wife’s passport expired October 2023.

The agent scanned our passports and then said “Kari, did you know your passport is expired” then went straight into the normal questions. Ended with the agent saying “you should really get a new passport, have a nice trip”

So not a big deal at all. And for the record I’m not recommending anyone to do the same.

OG Net_Man

Crossed about 4 weeks ago. One person in our vehicle had a passport that expired about 6 years ago. We cleared both ways with out any agent stating a word of the expired passport…

CaptainMusky

Very strange but glad we were both able to enjoy Canada.

jwellsy

The enhanced ID has been a good thing for me. I used my DD214 for one of my docs and they put veteran on the DL. That comes in handy sometimes. A major airport I use maybe 4 times a year has free parking for vets. Without that ID, parking runs $20 just to pick somebody up.

CaptainMusky

Thank you for your service wellsy! I have an enhanced id as well so I would have been good to go if they noticed my expired passport. Maybe they were able to see that when they scanned the passport?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.