How to target Shallow lake walleye

• Jack Schroeder

So I live on a small 90 acre lake In central Mn. it used to be a walleye rearing pond in the 1990s. The max depths of this lake is 8ft and there’s little to no structure. Their is almost no visibility and absolutely no weed growth other than Lilly pads. I know there are still eyes in here as I’ve caught them. I can only catch one or two a year while bass fishing and now while targeting them. Dose anyone have any tips on how I can catch them?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish a lake that’s similar. We set tip ups and then RIP the wheelers around the out side of the pond. It isn’t the funniest thing to fish but when you want a quick meal it’s always there.

Jack Schroeder

Not going for a meal. Last year I pulled a 27in out. I’m hoping to catch some trophies.

Dave maze
    Isanti

The little structure that is there is where I would start. Second would be the deepest part of the lake. I’ve fished a few lakes like that with loud glow spoons tipped with minnows.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just ice fishing?

I’d start at the deepest point and move towards structure during peak feeding windows and low light.

Are there any bottom transitions? I’d target any transitions from mud to rock or whatever.

During open water troll, baby, troll. With that lake being shallow I’d probably focus on a night bite or low light. I’d bet they move to those lily pads at night. Throw cranks or slip bobbers at them.

Jack Schroeder

I’ve tried fishing the only rocks ive found and they are on a point and go from 2ft-6ft. I fish them all the time with cranks and absolutely slay the bass but have never caught a walleye off them.

Jack Schroeder

I also caught a 27in last summer in the pads using a 10” worm for bass!

Jack Schroeder

There’s an aerator. Think they would be by that?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Set up on the edge of the 6′ rocks morning and evening or spend the night. They will feed there if there are many left. Other than that, tip ups at prime time.

tim hurley

In deep lakes that stratify a turnover happens in the fall-(your lake probably does not stratify) warmer water will pool deeper and fish will mostly stay in that warmer water. In shallow lakes this time of year water will just get very very cold. Cold blooded animals will just not feed very much in those lakes. Lots of small lakes by the north shore that have lots of walleyes but a very poor winter bite because the lakes are very shallow. These lakes up there do not freeze out (which is amazing with all the ice and snow) Anyway all that said, give ‘er a shot but don’t be hard on yourself if action is a bit slow; spring will eventually come!—Good luck

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

There’s an aerator. Think they would be by that?

Not really an equal comparison, but I have Koi pond in my yard that I aerate all winter. They hang around the aerator like a party by the campfire.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.