How to rig tube jigs question?

• mrpike1973

I have looked on line but nothing I found was great. Do you use a jig that goes inside or how do you do it with just a worm hook? Looks like it would take forever to sink. Any link to something would be helpful everyone says they are great and I try to learn a new technique every year. Thanks

broth82

I use a 1/8 ounce 3/0 hook for a 3″ tube, the sink rate is great and the longer hook means you don’t have to split the tube to go around the hook. You can also Texas rig them with a wide gap hook, just rig it like you would with a worm.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You can also Texas rig them with a wide gap hook, just rig it like you would with a worm.

Weighted wide gap hooks are available to rig in this fashion too. Very effective rigging. This is an excellent walleye tube rig.

munchy
    NULL

I like to take bell sinkers, stuff one into the tube eyelet first, then take a EWG hook and Texas rig it being sure to feed the hook through the eyelet.

I prefer it because I don’t need to keep retying the hook if the tube gets torn up. It’s also nice to be able to adjust the weight balance in the tube if you want to try a different action.

Attachments:
    1. 9D3AAFA2-8F87-4F95-AAF1-71A02FECF222.jpeg

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I like that Munchy, that is slick, I will have to give that a try.

blank

I remember seeing a clip from Al Lindner (they were on Mille Lacs I think) talk about the various ways he rigs tubes, and if I remember correctly he prefers a round half-moon jig. I’ll have to try and find that video.

Interesting method you got there Munchy. I may have to try that.

munchy
    NULL

I should mention, just be sure the sinker isn’t too long that it touches the hook point when hanging on the hook. If it touches you will miss hookups.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What kind of tubes do you guys usually use? Brand/Style/Size etc. I’ve never used them, but would like to give them a run.

FryDog62

I use the Bass Pro Shops 3.5 inch Tender Tubes in the spring with cold water on the Owner Phantom Tube Hooks link a couple posts above – either 1/16 or 1/8 oz. In Summer/Fall I like 4 inch Havoc Smash Tubes for a bigger profile, 1/8 or 3/16 oz Phantom Tube hooks.

I use many different colors, but with the Tender Tubes use mostly Puke or Roadkill. The Smash Tube I like Red Rum – looks a lot like a rusty crayfish.

broth82

I use 3″ Berkley powerbait tubes, or sometimes if I can find the a 2-3/4″ is hard to beat in the spring. 90% of the time I’m using an 1/8 ounce jig head from Cabelas posted by Tuma, I use any color from white to black and everything in between, but mainly stick to browns with flakes in them. What i found the best is that the tentacles need to be straight and not drooping over the hook, and the more fish you catch on one the better it works. I’ve had them tear in half and just turned it around and ran the hook out the other side, also the fish hold onto them for a very long time so you don’t had to set the hook right away if you’re not sure.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tube jigs that you slide into the tube push the eye through the tube and then tie it on. I think they have the best action. Texas rigging works but you have to make sure the tube is long enough to reach the point of the hook otherwise it won’t rig correctly.

Deadly cold water lure when rigged on a 3/4 tube jig and slowly drug along deep cover.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.