How to prepare for the cold in Florida

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Dress in layers!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5150.jpg

blackbay
    mn

Why would they announce that? Half the people in Florida this time of year are from Minnesota.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Ha I’ve seen that picture circulating.

A few years ago me and some work buddies had to go to Florida in December with similar weather. Newscasters were strongly encouraging people keep their pets inside as if it were a life or death matter. Us MN boys had the beaches to ourselves and everyone else thought we were crazy!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One Year I went to AZ for a January wedding. It was -30 here, and 50ish degrees there. Went out in Tempe and girls were wearing hats and mittens, pretty sure I was the only one in shorts and a T-shirt getting weird looks. Should have just worn a sign, I’m from MN.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The last time I went to Arizona it was colder there than in mn. Of course I was in flagstaff.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Cold

Attachments:
    1. k1o8rwjgtua01.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

^^^ saw that one, it’s new and pretty funny. Castanza comes to mind.

Yep, every time the low is in the 30s the weather people remind everyone to bring the dogs inside. I’m not sure where these people live with dogs who live outside.

My flowers took a hit with the last 2 cold fronts. (

Lots of dead fish being reported dead from cold shock. The reds and trout can handle the cold, the snook can’t. The snook in Florida are on the edge of the range they can live. 2010 a lot of snook died…. apparently.

I know, who cares. (

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Lots of dead fish being reported dead from cold shock. The reds and trout can handle the cold, the snook can’t. The snook in Florida are on the edge of the range they can live. 2010 a lot of snook died…. apparently.

I know, who cares. (

I was down visiting my family/old neighborhood in Tampa the 8th through 16th, and went fishing at apollo beach on the 13th, which happened to be the day of a massive cold front and high winds. This MN blood of mine didn’t do much good, as I about froze to death standing in the wind for 7ish hours. At least got to see my step dad catch his first shark — a 3 ft bull — so that was cool. Anywho, my point was that I talked to a couple other guys and they said in the week or so prior, a bunch of sharks and other fish were washing up on the beach, apparently dying from the cold water. Interestingly that spot is very near a warm water discharge and the manatee viewing center.

On a related note, he(step-dad) texted me tonight with a picture of his first snook, a chunky 29″

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2523.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s a nice snook!

They say the cold down here is different. I don’t know about that, maybe the air is less dry so it is a damp cold.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I think that’s probably it. Either way, it’s all relative. If you’re used to the warmth you get cold easier and vise versa.

That’s why I don’t use the furnace up here during the winter — not as shocking when you step outside coffee

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You were by the coast too, the water coming off the gulf is going to be relatively damp.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.