How to jig

• MDK

I’m new to all of this. Just bought my first boat. I’m in pool 16, whereas most of the discussion here seems focused on pool 2/4. However, I’d love some advice on jigging. I’ve got a few different plastics, and most of the people I’ve seen down here don’t seem to be using live bait at all, mostly plastics. I’ve watched the IDO videos where they do slow retrieve with plastics, like the moxie. Can I jig those, too? How do I know when to use jigging vs. a blade bait or a crank bait? Or is it mostly trail and error? Do cranks ever work in the tailgaters pre-spawn? Thanks for any advice!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This is how I personally like to get jiggy
    jiggy

bbuchho90

Sure can. I’m fairly new to river fishing as well, BUT, here’s what I’ve learned.

Jigging on the river allows the current to provide action to the plastic even when you’re “sitting still”. The colder the water, the slower you want to jig your setup. A lot of people will bounce the jig up and down non-stop, but that can turn fish away in these cold water temps (if the water is still cold down there). In cold water, keeping the bait almost still with subtle lifts once in a while will probably boat the most fish.

Although I know people will pull cranks in cold water for the “reaction” strike, blades and cranks are best when the fish are aggressively feeding (pre-spawn/post-spawn). If the water is in the mid 40’s down there already, it’s probably a good time to break those out. Fish shallow current seams with them, or shallow slack water in general near current. Lift it up so you can feel the vibration, let it fall until it hits bottom, then lift it again as soon as it does. There are some great IDO episodes with James and Eric fishing pool 4 with rattle/blade baits. Watch those if you havent yet!

MDK

This is super helpful, thanks! I know I’ve just gotta put in the time and through trial and error figure stuff out. I appreciate the help.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have had a lot of success slowly dragging plastics on jigheads along the bottom. Pop it off the bottom every now and then. Bottom contact is key though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m certainly not an expert but I did stay overnight at a now defunct fishing resort once.

Stay in the strike zone (the bottom 1 foot of the river). We told newbies to find bottom, lift about 4″ and hold. Count to 15 and repeat.

Over working a jig is the new to the river fishermans biggest issue. As a wise fishing instructor always said “less is more”.

Unlike a lake, the movement of the river gives the plastic the action needed. Many, many fish have been caught while the angler is telling a story to his friend, forgetting the jigging he was doing prior to the intense story.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Keep a finger on the line at all times, and watch your rod tip.
    Practice makes perfect.

MDK

So, can jig a moxie, a paddle tail, or live bait: minnow, crawler, leech? I’ve also seen guys jigging fuzzy grub types. trial and error? or any patters here? I appreciate the help!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

minnow, crawler, leech?

What are they? OK I joke (a little).

Any of the BfishN Tackle or Prescott Bait products are proven fish getters. Although there might be some that disagree, I believe there is more action in a plastic (in a river) then there is in live bait.

I like to take out a few colors as long as they have Chartreuse in the tail. The Moxies and Pulsars have a larger profile that simulates a gizzard shad which we have a ton of up here.

Although even I have caught plenty of fish on ringworms, paddle tails and flukes.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree with everything the other posters have added. I have the best luck with Moxies and I think it has to do with the motion of the tail. Lift and hold, let the current to the work, and stay in the strike zone.

In terms of live bait – I always have it with me. When the bite is tough, like it has been this spring with the cold water, almost all of my fish have come on bait. Plastics still work, but plain jig and minnow has far out produced plastics. Fatheads seem to be the ticket in cold water but in the summer a lot of guys will go to leeches and crawlers.

Once this water warms up into the 40’s I think the plastics bite will probably be really good but don’t overlook live bait.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

MDK, all solid advice given here. My best recomendation is to offer a open seat and share your boat with a fellow IDO er. Not only will you shorten your learning curve dramatically, you will have a great time !
    Have fun fishing !!!!

PS, Yes, less is more !!!! :]

hnd

look on fb for mississippi walleye pools 12-17. its great for local reports and tips and tricks. i’m admin there.

pool 16 is a great pool with lots of great fish. fish fill into the slough but you have to find them as they move up and down through out it. there are lots of other shoreline spots to pitch to down river and its full of great wingdams.

to get the hang of it, i recommend guys go up into the slough, slowly work the arsenal eddy with a 1/4 oz jig and either meat or plastic. i prefer the smaller moxies, pulser’s, sauger slayers, or gulp. sometimes a fathead. sometimes….half a crawler.

on the moline side straight away, between the walk bridge and rail bridge i’ve caught a ton of fish. i go up to a 3/8oz jig and drag it side to side and then drift back down and vertical jig.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.