how to get rid of chipmunks in garage

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve got a chipmunk, probably more than one as I saw the mom with babies this spring. They run into the garage a lot. They made a burrow hole to get in with door closed. How do I get rid of them? Live in the city, no shooting allowed. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy Jones

Rat trap with chunky peanut butter is what I use. I also sweeten the deal by putting three or four black oil sunflower seeds on the peanut butter before I arm the trap. I wire my traps to red bricks so the traps don’t go missing if the chipper is a near miss. I’ve also drilled a small hole in a corner of the base and wired the trap to something solid, like a bench leg or an anchor.

I’d set three or four traps inside the garage, putting at least one close to that hole they gnawed.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Rat trap with chunky peanut butter is what I use. I also sweeten the deal by putting three or four black oil sunflower seeds on the peanut butter before I arm the trap. I wire my traps to red bricks so the traps don’t go missing if the chipper is a near miss. I’ve also drilled a small hole in a corner of the base and wired the trap to something solid, like a bench leg or an anchor.

I’d set three or four traps inside the garage, putting at least one close to that hole they gnawed.

Second this.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Traps and seal the hole. To bad you are in town, shooting chippy’s is great fun.

OG Net_Man

The sticky pads generally sold for mice will also work for chipmunks.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Seal the hole, good old fashioned rat traps with PB.

For the record, driving 56mph in a 55mph zone is illegal. I’d get the .22 sub or a Gamo to help thin the population.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Be careful if using any kind of poison or chemical around the dog. My Grandpa had this exact problem years ago and his springer got into some of the rodent poison. That was an expensive trip to the vet.

FinickyFish

Yes please skip the poison. Chipmunk eats some, then runs off and dies in someone else’s yard where a dog gets to it. I’d rather you shoot a gun in town than use poison. Traps would probably be best.

isu22andy

If you have any trapping experience , the smallest rbg body grip trap is deadly on them and ground squirrels . My family has used them with great success . Can’t think of the size number off top of my head . Will have to order it . Hard to find in store

dennis smith

Rat traps for sure. I live in so. Metro and trapped 22 of them last year. They were getting bold..comin in garage while I was in there working. Get locked in over night. They are trpuble.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Pellet gun, who going to see you in garage?

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Pellet gun, who going to see you in garage?

shooting a pellet gun in a garage sounds like a bad idea concerning ricochets.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Rat trap or pellet gun and safety glasses. A cat maybe.

TH

Killing chipmunks can be a great sport. I’d use a blowgun with stun ammo if you can’t shoot where you live. My buddy does in quite successfully in a no pellet gun zone. I’d be surprised if your city has anti blowgun laws.

nord

I’m with Jimmy, rat trap and peanut butter eliminated 8 chipmunks around our yard this spring.

Iowaboy1

My kid brothers place is over ran with chipmunks, so he built six wooden box weasel traps for them and baited them with peanuts and such.
    In four days he caught thirty five of them, I witnessed one trying to get past one in a trap to get to the bait, crazy but they work and they dont get drug off.

jwellsy

+12 on the rat traps. Drill a couple of holes and zip tie it to a brick if you’re after squirrels.

What would be louder, a rat trap or a subsonic 300 blackout?

LabDaddy1

Traps and seal the hole. To bad you are in town, shooting chippy’s is great fun.

Pellet gun. Also .22 CB shorts are a great “city round,” as long as you’re not an idiot.

CaptainMusky

Rat traps are the ticket. Just a giant mouse trap. I’ve gotten 4 of those buggers in the last week.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My neighbor has had good luck using a bucket trap. But I don’t like the thought of drowning them.

Jimmy Jones

Pellet gun. Also .22 CB shorts are a great “city round,” as long as you’re not an idiot.

Lead pellets aren’t likely to fly wild inside a garage.

I use CCI “silent” rounds with the bullets that fracture into three sections upon impact. Fron a rifle they make only a hushed “puff. They’re fairly accurate as well. The CB Shorts are another good “in the yard” round but lack the fracturing bullet. I have yet to see an exit on chippers with the silent, fracturing ammo. Squirrels and rabbits are pretty much anchored when hit with one of those fracturing bullets too.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Not gonna shoot a gun in the middle of the suburbs.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Rat trap (overgrown mouse trap) tipped with any of the nut butters.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

go bill murray style……AKA …caddyshack!!!!!! waytogo devil

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I smell varmint. And the only good varmint is dead varmint. I think.

iowa_josh

I am in the same situation. I thought I had one or two chipmunks. I thought I would need to put traps around the house. I think I just caught my eighth one inside the garage. Something about a big, dark doorway they cannot resist.

At work I have seen them chew up the garage door wiring and one or twice the wiring of the vehicle in the garage. There was hood insulation on the ground beside the car.

robby
    Quad Cities

Get a 5 gallon bucket of water, fill 1/2 full of water. Put some black sunflower seeds with the hulls (birdfood) in the water, they will float. Unsalted, unroasted peanuts work also. Then just check the bucket daily. Critters go in, cannot get out.

Riverrat

The most effective traps I’ve found are glue traps, but you can and will catch anything. A daisy pump pellet gun makes practically no noise. Especially with the garage door closed. I live in town but when Red squirrels started getting into peoples garage and sheds they came to me and asked me to shoot them. Chipmunks are just as bad as far as I’m concerned.

CaptainMusky

Yeah those sticky traps are pretty indiscriminate about what they catch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.