How to get away from 1,000 4 inch perch

• @tony6

How’s it goin. Writing in reference to the Mississippi sloughs perch. South of #5. Only fished it once last year and caught a lot of dinks too, but then all of a sudden at 5pm lost 2 probably 13,s atleast at the bottom of the hole. Went back to same spot yesterday and hole hopped steady from 9am to 5pm. All same size 4 inch perch. Water depth is pretty much 4-8ft. Did find a 10 ft hole with same results. Tried bigger. Wits also slab rap,ripping rap , chubby darters and big fathead’s. The dinks hit all those before the lure but the bottom , and the minnows. My question is do you guys think the big ones are mixed in? Or because of the insane fishing pressure they are smart and lowlight hrs only? The water is high because of weather, maybe they actually went back out to the big river. But this area looks
    Like spawning area so ya think they would be there somewhere. If ya Can catch 500 little ones. We didn’t bring the camera outta the truck maybe camera next time before we even wet a line. Lots of action but pretty frustaing. Lol

milemark_714

The bigger ones are mixed in,but probably a little more reserved.Higher water brings in more fish vs lower water.Sometimes you have to find what trips their trigger,and a lot of times the big ones hit with a subtle stop.Smaller ones usually tap it fairly hard.

@tony6

I usually do good with tungsten with meat or plastics but stayed away from that setup cause the little guys. Used mostly small spoons maybe should of stuck with I usually catch em on. Well good thanks so they were probably mixed in. I did see some bigger slower moving bands late evening

@tony6

It wasn’t a total waste I tried that new little clam spoon with the single hook and double the hooking percentage as the treble. Switched out a lot of trebles today

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

If you have a camera try that. You can pick and choose what fish you catch.

tipdown
    Hudson, WI

I’m no professional here but i’ve had my fair share of fishing the backwaters through the years. Instead of fishing low, try fishing the upper water column (1/2 way down) when targeting big perch. Most of the larger perch are so aggressive when they come through they tend to behave like slab crappies they will come up high to hit your jig. (Most I don’t even mark on the flasher) I’ve also noticed pulling the jig out and slowly dropping it back in I will get the larger fish, just hold on tight. Good Luck!

crappieguy

I had this problem in Leech earlier. My solution was to drop down a Jigging Rap of decent size. The smaller perch would still check it out but couldn’t take it.

The larger perch could, as could did the walleye.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’d drive down to Prairie Du Chein and follow Kunz out to his hot spot.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I just saw that online as well. What really drives me nuts is that he was doing this for profit. I’m never a fan of over-harvesters period, but it’s one thing if a guy is over the possession limit to feed himself or his family. IMHO it’s worse to some extent when someone’s breaking the law that drastically for profit.

Pete S

This is old news. sleeping
    [/quote]

Being from fountain city it may be, first time I saw it in the madison paper was today. you win i guess, let me know where to send the trophy

@tony6

Thanks guys I’ll give it a shot this wknd with camera this time. Wanted to try the new big red tip downs I got too but didn’t even bother trying em

@tony6

You guys see that ice team YouTube vid where they were using live mayfly larvae ? Be nice to get ahold of them. That’d be the secret bait. It was lake gogebic I think

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

@tony6:

Ask your baitshop for wigglers, if they got ’em, that’s what your looking for… they sell them all over the place up here…

Mark

milemark_714

@tony6:

Ask your baitshop for wigglers, if they got ’em, that’s what your looking for… they sell them all over the place up here…

Mark

Or a lot of times an imposter(plastics)work just as well when done right.Way many anglers don’t put faith in them.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbenson wrote:</div>
    @tony6:

Mark

Or a lot of times an imposter(plastics)work just as well when done right.Way many anglers don’t put faith in them.

Thumbs up on that!!!

Mark

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.