How to get a stuck boat floor seat post off?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Anybody have a tip on how to get a stuck boat seat post out of a floor mount? I suspect its sand or tiny rocks that’s wedged vs rust since it’s all aluminum. I tried tapping with a mallet from the bottom but that just broken the black plastic insert in the floor plate.

Attachments:
    1. 5E8E64E9-5F4A-4C84-B6B9-9011969AF009.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Squirt the base with wd-40 and let it run down inside. Try and get your shoulder underneath and tapping with a rubber hammer lift with your shoulder while pinching in the clip or whats left of it. Good luck, that design sucks.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

If you are open to spitball ideas, remount the base and try turning it out versus a straight pull. Maybe a towel and a large pipe wrench.

gary d
    cordova,il

When you get it out cut a piece of PVC ring about 3/16 or a little more and put in the bottom of the holder, then put your sit back in. It raise the post just little so it does not bury so deep. Good luck!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What dutchboy said

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You may need to buy a new pedestal. My folks had this issue years ago and no matter what they tried they couldn’t get it apart. Musta rusted together

Red Eye

BFH!!! (Bigger Fing Hammer)

Mike m

Ive had this same issue . Tried all the things mentioned above ,pipe wrench , bfh , wd40 , never did get them out without ruining the base and the pedestal . Ended up buying new ones .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mine did this. I shot is with zep 45 or wd 40 then a little heat from a heat gun. Pulled on it and tapped with rubber hammer. Popped right out

michael keehr

I had one stuck I wrapped it in dry ice for about 20 mins I put foam down first as to just cool the post not the base. Slid out like it w as s never stuck

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Stay some Kroil-not a typo-on the post at the base and pack the post with ice cubes. Let it sit so the post gets good and cold then lightly tap the base from the top while holding the post tightly.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve tried the wd-40 trick with no luck, i’ll try the heat idea next, if that doesnt work I buy new parts.

Appreciate all the responses!

Mike m

Stay some Kroil-not a typo-on the post at the base and pack the post with ice cubes. Let it sit so the post gets good and cold then lightly tap the base from the top while holding the post tightly.

. Great idea , wish I would have tried that

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I remember some guys removing the base and pounding it off from the bottom side.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I remember some guys removing the base and pounding it off from the bottom side.

I’ve done that, but his original post made it sound like he’d done that already.

shefland
    Walker

you would think with todays technology somebody would come out with a better mousetrap! seat base. Only a couple of posts available, ALL STICK, I spray with Rem-oil dry lube, helps a lot, but still gets stuck

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Once you get it out, coat the taper with No-Seize. Don’t over-do it as the stuff can get on everything. Wipe away any that squeezes out after you push the ped back in.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

you would think with todays technology somebody would come out with a better mousetrap! seat base. Only a couple of posts available, ALL STICK, I spray with Rem-oil dry lube, helps a lot, but still gets stuck

Why haven’t they figured this out yet? Seems like simple engineering should be the solution.

The ones I have now are the twist-in style ones and I haven’t had an issue yet.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

To prevent them from sticking rub paraffin wax on the contact points once a year. Done deal.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Mine did that on my lund I used a heat gun. Heated up the base and melted wax in the base . And a couple of taps with a rubber mallet popped it right out.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The snow in the post tube and several cranks with the rubber hammer did the trick! What’s interesting is that the insides of the base and the outside of the post bar were like new clean with no rust or sand/debris buildup??? So it got stuck for some other reason??

I’ll make sure to keep the base and post clean and lubricated from now on!

Thanks all!!

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Leave the seat on. Zip tie the tab to post. Lift seat with two floor jacks. No mess

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I would’ve said Sawzall but you got it, so….

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Zip tie the tab to post.

Good idea! I have the same problem with one of my bases. Ended up using a 6′ 2×4 last time as pry bar. And I cussed at it. That seemed to help.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

WD-40 like everyone else have said. Then put the pedestal in a vise and use something to prop open the clip that locks the pedestal into the base (i used a standard screwdriver). Then hit the base with a dead blow hammer…. Then after you get it off put candle wax on the plastic part of the pedestal.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.