How often do you move your Icehouse on big lakes like Red, LOTW, Mille Lacs?

• usmarine0352

I know as the season progresses more and more ice shacks are on the ice making moving harder and deeper snow can also cause issues.

On average though, how often do you move your icehouse on big lakes like Red, Lake of the Woods, Mille Lacs, Winnibigoshish, and others say for a 2-3 day overnight trip?

deertracker

Maybe once if we are not catching fish but we have never moved more that that.
    DT

Fowldreams55398

LOTW there are trips we move from shallow to deep everyday. Low light and overnight is up shallow and 9am head to deeper water for day bite. The rest of the lakes mentioned usually only once per trip if spot 1 isn’t producing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

LOTW there are trips we move from shallow to deep everyday. Low light and overnight is up shallow and 9am head to deeper water for day bite. The rest of the lakes mentioned usually only once per trip if spot 1 isn’t producing.

Same. Really depends where u set up. We try to set the house where we catch fish at night. Then we fly around in the day in portables

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Pretty much the same as the others, prefer to land on them of course but if nothing is going move maybe once. I always bring the portable but often end up to comfy chilling in my sweats and crocs.

IceManBran

Same same. Usually fish friday day/night and move right away saturday morning if fishing was bad.

Red Eye

In yeas past we always noticed significantly less fish the second day in the same spot on Red Lake. We’d set up first night do real good then wait all day for the second night bite only to be burned. Since then we always move each day and try to find fresh ice. It’s dam hard to leave a spot that you caught 50 fish the night before but we’ve been burned to many times.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The road plow guys don’t like you moving much.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Because most of the time they’ve got a line of people trying to get their houses out and they plow a spot and a house moves in, plow another spot and house moves in, and another and another. When people keep moving around a lot then there’s open spots in different areas that don’t get filled and they have to keep plowing. I know it sounds crazy but just listen to the guys at Jrs complaining about it someday.

Coletrain27

Because most of the time they’ve got a line of people trying to get their houses out and they plow a spot and a house moves in, plow another spot and house moves in, and another and another. When people keep moving around a lot then there’s open spots in different areas that don’t get filled and they have to keep plowing. I know it sounds crazy but just listen to the guys at Jrs complaining about it someday.

So when fishing at JR’s your suppose to fish in a big group next to each other only? I would think open spots spread out all over would be a good thing to get people spread out and give the customers a option of where to go. I guess I wouldn’t be going back to them if they bitched about moving. Your the customer and paying them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Let them whine. I’m there and paying to fish and catch fish. I’ll move as many times as it takes. You can go sit in the community so you don’t offend them.

The correct answer to the ops question is, you move as many times as it takes till your on the spot

BigWerm
    SW Metro

For a 2-3 day trip I’d spend a fair bit of time making sure I’m on the spot I want to be on, and then not move it the whole time. If I’m chasing fish, I’m going to do it standing on the ice or in a portable. Set the sleeper up where I think I’ll have the most evening/overnight success.

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

Let them whine. I’m there and paying to fish and catch fish. I’ll move as many times as it takes. You can go sit in the community so you don’t offend them.

The correct answer to the ops question is, you move as many times as it takes till your on the spot

Agree with both statements here

B-man

One thing I do that a lot of other guys don’t is use TALL hole sleeves to scout in the wheelhouse.

I’ll pull up to a spot, drill a couple holes and set the tall sleeves down and leave the shack UP.

Give it 15-30 minutes and move to another spot if nothing’s biting.

Once I find fish, I’ll drill all of the holes, plunk down and bank the shack up.

That method is more for me fishing alone or with a buddy, the wife doesn’t like all of the moving around.

With the family, I take a gamble and plunk down right away, but I’ll move once a day if we aren’t on fish.

Like Bearcat mentioned, having a wheeler or sled and a portable is also another great option. It’s not as comfortable, but if you’re on a fishing trip to catch fish, it’s the way to go.

usmarine0352

One thing I do that a lot of other guys don’t is use TALL hole sleeves to scout in the wheelhouse.

I’ll pull up to a spot, drill a couple holes and set the tall sleeves down and leave the shack UP.

Give it 15-30 minutes and move to another spot if nothing’s biting.

Once I find fish, I’ll drill all of the holes, plunk down and bank the shack up.

That method is more for me fishing alone or with a buddy, the wife doesn’t like all of the moving around.

With the family, I take a gamble and plunk down right away, but I’ll move once a day if we aren’t on fish.

Like Bearcat mentioned, having a wheeler or sled and a portable is also another great option. It’s not as comfortable, but if you’re on a fishing trip to catch fish, it’s the way to go.

Good idea.

You do this on all of these lakes?

B-man

It depends. I have some proven spots close to home that I feel confident plunking down on, but I still do it to scout new spots too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.