how much time for a Garmin echomap software update?

• dirtywater

I used the Active Captain app to download a software update for my 93SV. The update is sitting on my active captain SD card in the Garmin waiting to be installed. When I click install it says it will take “a long time.” Anyone have a ballpark on that time? I’m working inside with an older 12v vexilar battery and I don’t want the battery to die in the middle of the update because I know it’s bad news to interrupt an update in progress.

So are we talking 10 minutes here? 30 minutes? 2 hours? Thanks in advance.

B-man

I haven’t done mine in awhile, but I don’t remember it taking too long (5-10 minutes maybe?)

Just put a charger on the battery to be safe, and dim your screen to save juice

dirtywater

Interesting, I wasn’t aware I could charge the battery at the same time I’m using it — so just like a 2 amp trickle? Thanks for the tip.

I’ve had the screen on at 50% and it’s been running fine for over an hour, so I guess I should be good if I start the update when the battery’s full charged up.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

Depending on the update but its maybe 5 minutes. I do mine all the time when I go out ice fishing.

dirtywater

Update went smoothly, about 5 minutes. Thanks guys.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Interesting, I wasn’t aware I could charge the battery at the same time I’m using it — so just like a 2 amp trickle? Thanks for the tip.

I’ve had the screen on at 50% and it’s been running fine for over an hour, so I guess I should be good if I start the update when the battery’s full charged up.

alternator on your motor (assuming it’s not a pull start tiller) does the same thing, puts a charge on your batteries while your electronics are on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.