How many rods?

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

How many ice rods is reasonable and acceptable? Last fall I ordered a couple custom ice rods for panfish. I LOVE THEM! I already called the builder and ordered two light walleye/perch rods for next season. But I’m debating on ordering a second pair of the “precision noodle” style rods I bought last fall. BUT I cannot help but beg the question, “is it nuts to have 4 of the same rods set up with 2-4 different presentations?

I plan on using the light walleye/perch rods for 1/8 ounce jigging tackle for big crappie and gills. So, is it crazy to have 2 rods running tungsten jigs/plastics, two rods running 1/16 ounce jigging tackle and two rods for a little heavier tackle?

Reasonable, maybe a dozen? Acceptable, sky’s the limit! I’ve got an unreasonably acceptable number, just shy of 50. This includes a dozen of my father’s. I outfit friends and family often; that’s the story I’m sticking with anyhow. laugh

404 ERROR
    MN

I draw the line at two of the same setups, but that is just because it gets expensive. If I had the spare coin, I would possibly do a couple more. I rarely use the same bait on both rods, so having the same feel and action is moot for me. I would rather spent my hard earned dollar on a rod for each type of presentation. That being said, I still have a few multiples…

I just sold a Thorne Sniffer tripwire and broke up one of my pairs so I can put the money towards a Walleye rod that can handle some heavier baits.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Hardest part for me is how many rods I can fit in a hard case and how many hard cases I want to take out for the day. My current hard case will fit 4 rods/reels if only 1 is 32″ with the other 3 being between 28″ and 30″(nothing longer fits but I dont want any rods over 32″). I have a 2nd case that is the same and usually take out 3 panfish setups and 3 walleye/perch setups.

The problem comes in when the wife comes along too. I need a 3rd case but that would open up a couple spots for a few new rods, lol

Bassn Dan

A second sled just for rods seems reasonable……..

rico13gt

I just found 50 rod blanks in my grandpas basement. I’m gonna make as many as I can this offseason for me and friends. Not sure if you can have enough.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I usually say 8 is reasonable. You can fish 2 rods, so 2 walleye rods for in the shack, 2 for outside hole hopping. Same for panfish, 2 for inside, 2 for outside.

But friends (including my wife) that venture into my man room, think I have a problem. I have more rods than I know what to do with. Both open water and ice. Everything is organized and clean in rod racks.

I have started to cut back on ice rods though. I have switch to all TUCRs and those are a bit pricey, so I only have 12.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would answer, but my wife says I have a sickness and I don’t want everyone here to catch it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

So, is it crazy to have 2 rods running tungsten jigs/plastics, two rods running 1/16 ounce jigging tackle and two rods for a little heavier tackle?

By that math, you’re talking 6 rods. Add in a couple for deadstick/bobber applications and you’re at 8. If you do lake trout then maybe one or two more. That’s a pretty good quiver. I’m just short as one of my noodle rods doubles as a deadstick.

Allows you to have two jigs at the ready without retie. Solves the backup for if something breaks.

At least this is the story told to my wife rotflol

Al Case

I used to think I was obsessive compulsive with my rod buying. Then it hit me. I’m a collector. One can always add to a collection. )
    Al

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

What ever you want to spend and what ever you are willing to drag along.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I like the sled idea. Maybe! A double decker sled that hinges out to the side and that one folds out like a 2 sided tackle box. Hmmmm! Two hinge outs one for rods and one for tackle and bait. Pattenant Pending!

Al Case

“I like the sled idea. Maybe! A double decker sled that hinges out to the side and that one folds out like a 2 sided tackle box. Hmmmm! Two hinge outs one for rods and one for tackle and bait. Pattenant Pending.”
    Put me down for one. )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.