How long are bearings good with bearing buddy’s?

• B-man

In theory – a seals a seal . If there isn’t water and or grease coming out of them . It’s sealed . Should be fine . Shouldn’t even have to add grease in theory correct ? I’ve never understood that . Where’s it go if everyone’s adding a few pumps a year if the rear seals there .

The grease eventually seeps through the front of the Bearing Buddy and into the dust cap (long road trips on hot days thins the grease). If you don’t tow far and often you might not see it happen.

The idea behind them is they provide constant positive pressure inside your hub.

When a warm hub hits the water at the launch it will cool and create a vacuum. The springs and front seal keep this from happening.

CaptainMusky

Grease definitely comes out the front of a bearing buddy if you are overzealous so that is where it would likely get lost even if there are no issues.

Gitchi Gummi

In theory – a seals a seal . If there isn’t water and or grease coming out of them . It’s sealed . Should be fine . Shouldn’t even have to add grease in theory correct ? I’ve never understood that . Where’s it go if everyone’s adding a few pumps a year if the rear seals there .

heat causes things to contract. just because theres not a leak when its sitting cold in your driveway doesn’t mean there isn’t a leak when things get heated up from an hour at normal driving speeds.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>

heat causes things to contract. just because theres not a leak when its sitting cold in your driveway doesn’t mean there isn’t a leak when things get heated up from an hour at normal driving speeds.

I’m not a scientist but I think heat causes expansion.

B-Man nailed the explanation above.

B-man

Side note, I always tape my dust covers on with electrical tape.

Clockwise wraps on the driver’s side, counter-clockwise on the passenger side. If the tag end ever lets loose it won’t come unwound.

It keeps 100% of the water out and acts as a secondary line of protection.

It’s been mentioned already, but I’ll reiterate. When you pump grease into a Bearing Buddy, don’t fill it completely. You want “some” pressure inside, but don’t bottom out the spring.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

How many years did we run trailers without bearing buddies? A long time. My first pair I ran several years without repacking and didn’t have any issues. Now I repack every year. I’ve had instances when water has gotten in over one summer.
    I understand the concept of filling the hub with grease to create a positive pressure so when the hubs cool when hitting the water no water is sucked in. When you pump in grease and the spring gets compressed that is only grease on the outside of the outer bearing. The cavity between the two bearings has no grease unless you put some in when assembling the hub. I assume with the pressure of the spring the grease gets pushed through the outer bearing into the cavity while towing since you need to add grease to keep the spring compressed.

My question is how long does it take to completely fill the cavity with grease? I’m guessing a long time.
    Kind of like the long time question to Mr. Owl of “How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know.” rotflol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

This sure is going on a long time. Bottom line is if you’re not willing to get piece of mind to take an hour, 2 at most, for going 2000 miles then do it. Personally even if the bearings are good enough to just repack I would take an extra pre packed set just to be sure. Nothing ever breaks at a convenient time and place.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The here are 3 big problems with trailer bearings.

The first is that they last for many years with minimal maintenance. Until they don’t. And they never blow up when the boat is sitting still, in a well-lit garage, that happens to be full of tools and cold beer. Plan accordingly.

Secondly, there isn’t any comparison between boat trailers and utility/box trailers because nobody backs their Harley Hauler trailer into the water until the hubs are completely submerged in muddy, gritty lake/river water.

There is no such thing as a perfect rotating seal, so just because the seals appear not to leak any grease, that doesn’t mean that moisture just from condensation doesn’t form in the hub even if it is sealed from the outside moisture. Therefore, there can be corrosion forming on bearings even if the seals are still good.

I do a postmortem using a parts washer to clean every trailer bearing and race that I change (and I do quite a few) and 100% of the bearings I change have some form of foreign material damage or they have signs of pitting/corrosion or they have all of the above. This isn’t to say failure was imminent, but the bottom line is there is no perfectly sealed bearing.

Third, there is the problem that you can’t inspect trailer bearings properly without a complete teardown including removal of the races, and then running everything through a parts washer, then inspecting. So obviously the only course of action that really makes sense is to replace bearings at intervals because inspection is the same amount of work as replacement.

Now the “be prepared for a roadside bearing change” theory with spare hubs, grease, tools, etc is a good idea, but that only works if you don’t clustermuck your axle when your neglected bearings do a meltdown on the freeway at Mach Jesus. Again, I inspect axles on every trailer I do, and if the bearings have at some point failed or are badly neglected, there is ALWAYS axle surface damage. Most of the time it can be resurfaced out, but remember that failure is always a bad option because you aren’t carrying a spare axle.

Bottom line with Midwest boat trailers is to run good bearings, good grease, and Bearing Buddies and then replace your bearings every 5 years regardless of mileage.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Well I Made it back without a problem. I do think the hubs were warmer when I arrived home than on the road earlier so I will replace the bearings before going any distance. Thanks for all the information. I bought the tools needed to deal with the brake rotors so should be set to do the job.

shefland
    Walker

only if you can get the old ones off, dont ask me how I know

slough

Now the “be prepared for a roadside bearing change” theory with spare hubs, grease, tools, etc is a good idea, but that only works if you don’t clustermuck your axle when your neglected bearings do a meltdown on the freeway at Mach Jesus. Again, I inspect axles on every trailer I do, and if the bearings have at some point failed or are badly neglected, there is ALWAYS axle surface damage. Most of the time it can be resurfaced out, but remember that failure is always a bad option because you aren’t carrying a spare axle.

Have always wondered that when people say to carry a spare hub. I burned a bearing up a few years ago and if I remember correctly part of the bearing basically welded onto the axle so there’s no way I would have been able to remedy this on the side of the road. I just bring mine in to the trailer shop 5 minutes from my house at the end of the season now and get them repacked. I waste $200 in a lot worse ways over the course of the year.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Slough you are a smart man.
    The old saying An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure holds true in alot of things.

robby
    Quad Cities

You should be good. When you return home I would regrease. May not need much at all.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.