How do you install a boat seat swivel on an aluminum boat bench?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I purchased a used 14′ aluminum boat to allow cabin guests to tool around the lake on and it at one time had a simple seat swivel installed in the middle of the motor bench as there are 4 mounting holes drilled with plastic anchors. So I’ll purchase a new swivel mount and mounted it to the bench in those holes, then how do I get access to mount a new seat? Skinny ratchet wrench?

Attachments:
    1. image-17.jpeg

2. swivel.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Get one of those ratcheting box wrenches if it will slip in there.

munchy
    NULL

Drill the holes for bolts into the bench(don’t bother with cheap plastic anchors, they could slip out and make a very danger situation), set the bolts and washers for the bench into the holes of the swivel, then mount the swivel to the chair. Place the seat and swivel onto the bench and install nuts and washers on the back side. Use a combination wrench to hold the bolt heads.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s no way to get to the underside of the Aluminum bench, that’s why the anchors were used

munchy
    NULL

Ahhh, I read it as an aluminum-boat bench. And most are just a piece of wood strung across.

If that’s the case, I personally would install 1/4-20 Rivnuts, however those require a special tool. Or use Toggler Snaptoggles. They both would work great and prevent the tear out like may happen with those cheap plastic anchors.

Rivnuts can be found at Menards. The Rivnut installation tool is ~$15 there as well. Sku #2312405
    You’d be surprised how many places those things come in handy.

Togglers can be found at Lowes. Sku# 115648 for two pack, come in bigger quantities as well. They come in handy as well for hanging heavy items on a wall when you can’t hit a stud. Don’t get the cheapo imitators sold at other places, they are junk.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.