Hot Dogs for pike?

• ps0345

Never Heard of it and sounds like it’s the Beaver Dam equipment not the hot dogs is what catches the fish.

I could see maybe it working towards then end of the ice season, when they are going for dead bait. but it would be only due to the smell of the dogs you’d think.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

My 8 year old nephew from Indiana is going to love this. Every time I talk to him he asks if I’ve been fishing and if I’m using hot dogs for bait.

Backstory – When he was 4 I took him fishing for the first time. Asked my brother what he had for bait, you guessed it, hot dogs. Damned if we didn’t catch some really nice gills that day using hot dog pieces and a slip bobber.

Why wouldn’t they work for pike like dead bait???? This is truly awesome peace

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

If hot dogs work great but if they don’t throw them on your heater and you can eat your bait. cool Its a win-win either the fish eat them or you do….rrr Ps Don’t forget the ketchup. grin

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Growing up I watched Steve Ercle all the time. ONe episode sticks out in my mind and he uses cheese for bait. Anyways, one summer we were at the lake and my dad asked what do I want as bait and I said we need to put some cheese on the hook. Being a good dad he went along with it and we were popping gills left and right. A few years latter I finally realized he parked us right on top of a bunch of spawning beds and those things would have grabbed a plan hook for all they care!!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I am going to try using a hotdog never tried it. I have tried smelt and it works but I have found the best dead bait is sucker meat. hotdogs sound a lot easier.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Doesn’t fishing already have enough phallic symbols in our dictionary already? What with noodle rods and their sensitive tip with a stiff backbone? Why do we have to introduce wieners to the mix? The only reason I still have any hope for this sport is my clam fish trap.

To make matters worse, they found a new species of fish that is NOT making any of this easier.

http://www.livescience.com/22824-penis-head-fish-discovered.html

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

JD, hotdogs work, but I heard you have to use skin on wieners….preferably beef.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Pug, did you mean “foreskin” on wieners? Ahh, thank you very much for the setup. hah! Bummer for our Jewish friends. Seems they’re always…g e t t i n g the shaft…

(somebody help me…can’t…stop)

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

This is funny. I was talking to a guy on lac labelle lake out here in Southeast wisconsin last year. He was fishing in a group next to us. Within 3-4 hours he most of ran for 15-20 flags. I asked him what he was using and he told me hot dogs. At first I thought it was a lure of some sort so I asked where he got them from. He told me any grocery store. I thought he was drunk messing around with me. Well he wasn’t lying he pulled a tip up in a showed me. Couldn’t believe it. It has to be the smell. Well tight lines and stay dry.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.