Hornet nest

• 10klakes

Flamethrower. Don’t worry about the house damage.

Riverrat

A complicated plan involving a 2 sticks, a scraper, a box with a garbage bag, a spotter, protective gear, 9 beers, 4 cans of wasp spray, a tripod mounted camera, and a French bulldog. When this video makes it viral please tag IDO so we can all watch. Good Luck Be safe.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Regardless, can you make sure someone video tapes from a safe distance and then share said video if things go…differently?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Wasps got some ortho foam about an hour ago. Plenty on the nest in the cooler temp. I like the foam because they can’t fly away. I don’t think any survived. woot

Attachments:
    1. wasps-scaled.jpg

Jimmy Jones

That looks to be about as much fun as when I had a nest start up under our siding. That got theatrical in a hurry one evening.

I used a heavy-duty shop vac with the hose end taped to the siding where they liked to enter/leave. Turned the vac on, swatted the siding a few times and stood back with several cans of spray. Three nailed me out of hundreds that bit it. When the fliers stopped I sprayed a half a can into the hose end while the machine was sucking. End of wasp issue. Then I used tube caulking to seal the crack where they got in.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve had good luck with Raid bug bomb when the next is in the ground, under a cement step and one time under the siding where my electrical enters the house. On that one the bomb was on a 6-foot step ladder. The key is touching it off after dark and sealing it up to contain the fumes. I used a trash bag and bricks or duct tape. Then removing before daylight.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Just noticed a wasp nest by my front door. Nice cool morning so I hit it with Raid Ant and Roach killer since it was handy. I didn’t know they overnighted in the cells of the nest. I only counted 5-8 on the nest before spraying but ~16 fell to the step. Dead in ~10 seconds. “Oh, what a world, what a world!”

Attachments:
    1. wasp-nest-scaled.jpg

2. wasps-1-scaled.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Swimjiggin, how did your project turn out?

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Well a few weeks back the Daughter sent those pics to her Town house association, a few days later they responded saying that it’s approved for removal. A week later a fella showed up at high noon not to mention it was a windy day and sprayed it from the ground. We were over there yesterday for some other projects but it’s funny the nest is still in full contact, can’t even tell it was sprayed. I watched that hive several different times from both angles and never seen a bee come or go.

Thought of grabbing the hose and blast it off but looking out her window the gutters are right below it and figured I’d just fill em, sooooo leaning towards when it’s cold out scraping it off, be kinda neat to check it out up close.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Well a few weeks back the Daughter sent those pics to her Town house association, a few days later they responded saying that it’s approved for removal. A week later a fella showed up at high noon not to mention it was a windy day and sprayed it from the ground. We were over there yesterday for some other projects but it’s funny the nest is still in full contact, can’t even tell it was sprayed. I watched that hive several different times from both angles and never seen a bee come or go.

Thought of grabbing the hose and blast it off but looking out her window the gutters are right below it and figured I’d just fill em, sooooo leaning towards when it’s cold out scraping it off, be kinda neat to check it out up close.

and hang it in the house for a wall decoration! devil whistling waytogo

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

well at least you were saved from doing it

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Well a few weeks back the Daughter sent those pics to her Town house association, a few days later they responded saying that it’s approved for removal.

applause applause applause

Wildlifeguy

For future reference…makes life a lot easier. They go up nearly 3 stories

Attachments:
    1. images-1.jpeg

2. PIF604461_B2FA3D50-C8DE-BCFD-752F5300BE5192CB.png

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Be a little careful of wasp spray. It can take the paint off of some sidings and can really mess up the color of some asphalt shingles. I had a couple small nests with only about five or six hornets in each that I sprayed a couple weeks ago. I think three of them got me and it’s just incredible how they can stick to you through two or three slaps and just keep stinging. Hurts like hell too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.