Hornet nest

• Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

We’ve burned up several nasty ones at the cabin over the years hanging from trees but this one is in a not so good spot. Over my daughters garage they made this there home, her office window right next to it, She took some pics and they look like bald faced hornets. So she called Orkin, they came out and left, that was 4 days ago..lol. Not sure of my plan of attack yet, fire won’t help me this time around…Thought?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3540-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_35401-scaled.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Aerosol can of wasp spray.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

and run like hell

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Gotta be the ugliest nest I’ve seen. Problem is I gotta jump from the garage.

Timmy

Wait til dark and bomb it with a coupla spray cans. I like the ones that shoot 25 feet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

After dark when they are all inside bomb them with spray, knock the nest to the ground and light it up. You gotta burn that bad boy.

FinickyFish

I actually thought that was a picture of a medieval carving at first. That thing looks sweet.

ThunderLund78

I actually thought that was a picture of a medieval carving at first. That thing looks sweet.

Dude! Thought the same. Some sweet artwork by mother nature right there!

Dan
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinickyFish wrote:</div>

Dude! Thought the same. Some sweet artwork by mother nature right there!

Yeah thought for sure that was some sort of gargoyle-owl.

Not sure if different types of hornets react differently, but spray can always seems to work for me. And a fresh can can spray a ways. As others have said…. have an exit strategy. Whether it’s running inside or running away, I swear those things want to kill you in the last few moments of their lives and make a run straight for you.

Brad Dimond

Hit it with the hose and a spray nozzle. Nests are basically made of paper and come apart easily. Back it up with an aerosol can of wasp spray. May take a couple of iterations but eventually they move on.

isu22andy

Step one whiskey for encouragement, step 2 wasp spray at dark , step 3 run .

B-man

Pretty sure that’s the demon thing from Jeepers Creepers rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240728-091254.png

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

After dark when they are all inside bomb them with spray, knock the nest to the ground and light it up. You gotta burn that bad boy.

This^^^^

I would have more than one can (in case you aren’t able to get it all) for that bad boy, but make sure it is in the dark so that all of them are in the nests!!!

Mark

Netguy
    Minnetonka

There’s always yellow jackets setting up somewhere in my yard or house/porch in July. This year I think I caught them early. I hit them with a can of Spectracide then some Ortho foam. Did it after dark and first thing the next morning and I haven’t seen any around since.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Punch a hole in it with a broomstick and empty a can of good bug spray in said hole. At night obviously.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Why hasn’t the Orkin man come back??

Pretty crappy business model?? coffee

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I know it Glenn. Great ideas, especially move..lol! Well picked up a can of Spectracide from home dump today, shoulda grabbed a two pack but I also like blasting it afterwards with water. It’s in a tight spot above her garage so it’s looking like getting on a ladder 5 or 6 steps up I can be in range, thinking the garage door will be open for shelter
    Another problem, I won’t be able to do it after dark, sooo maybe in the afternoon on Wednesday but sure would be nice to keep that sucker intact but that won’t happen unless we wait til fall..

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

man that thing could be a load of fun to attack… just not sure who’s going to have the most fun!! You attacking, the onlookers or the the hornets!! good luck!!!

and you have time to get another can of spray!!!

TH

I’d try and get some protective gear to wear and let em have it with wasp and hornet spray. Even putting on heavy clothing and gloves and head gear would help.

Mike West

My advice swinjiggin is what ever you decide, please use caution!!!
    5 years ago I got stung bad by the bald faced hornets. Spent 24 hrs in ICU.
    they sent me home with a prescription for 24 epi pens.
    Called the bee guy, came to our home and said, yep, you got the bad bees… the ones that will kill some.
    Be careful… I’m scared to death to this day.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Thanks guy’s! Yeah I’m kinda timid myself when it comes to pain not seen coming. I gotta get over there to find out the main entrance they use. Here’s my 2 options of getting close, the closer pic I’m not sure I can zap the hole, the other I’m pretty sure I can get.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1258_1722201836165.jpg

2. IMG_1259_1722201836172.jpg

isu22andy

I can about imagine the amount of beer my friends and I would consume tackling this job . Might want to have someone else with ya . 4 can approach . I gotta admit . That thing looks pretty intimidating

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Does that window open??
    I’d get 2 cans since they don’t spray at an angle when the juice gets low.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Good call netguy, I believe it’s a slider. That’s where I was going to start checking holes they use. Man that would be in your face action, I’ll hafta think about that one.. quickly spray and slam er shut!!

Brittman

Mentioned somewhere above. Spray at dusk. Hornets and wasps are much less active at that time of day.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

maybe open the window and poke a hole in it and spray… just be safe!!!

Scenic

I don’t think I would knock a hole in that one. Multiple entrants I would lay a thick layer over each opening quick and then just keep spaying back and forth. That is going to be at least a two canner.

john_h
    Hastings, MN

Put up some pics of the action!

Baitwaster
    South metro

Dress for -20, can in each glove, spray it down…

Full face helmet included.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.