Help with new puppy

• KP
    Hudson, WI

When my Golden was a puppy the breader I got her from said to make a loud pitching noise when they would bite you. I thought it was strange but they need to learn when they hurt you and it worked quickly with mine.

Also for jumping I was told to squeeze their paws when they do and pull them down to the ground.

Dont give up on the pup and keep working on new things and repeating it. I’ve learned there are many different ways to train and you need to find the right one for pup.

jwellsy

I agree with Jon & Atavar. It’s probably a dominance thing. He doesn’t see anyone in the pack as the leader, so he’s taking that role. At the slightest hint of aggression towards anyone, roll him over and hold him down with your hand on his chest until he submits and quits squirming, every time no exception.

You could also call the breeder and ask about the litter and suggestions.

Stanley

Tonight has gone better. I went to put the shock collar on and as soon as he tried nipping I held him down until he was done then things went fine to put the collar on. He has been in the kennel so far since I am working in the yard and have only had to correct him twice with barking. I also let him out to go to the bathroom and when he tried getting away I used the collar and he stopped and sat down. My wife has also reached out to some trainers to get some info and pricing. I know this will be a process and I really appreciate all the advice so far.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

good luck!!! just like kids, they like supervision

MX1825

Your dog likely thinks he is leader of the pack. You need to change that and establish complete dominance over him. First move, get him off the couch (or any other furniture) and into a kennel. Keep him in there while in the house. Keep him muzzled when out of the kennel.

Don’t feed him until you have eaten. No people food. Only let him eat out of his own bowl.

Next thing I’d do is get a training (Shock) collar and use appropriately. Use it to train, not to punish. This will go a long way in establishing complete dominance.

Good Luck!

-J.

[/quote]

X2. This is exactly what is going on. Don’t let the dog train you!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

When he tries to bite, grab over his muzzle and pinch his lips into his gums with your fingers and say “No!” sternly. It’s got to be done every time by every body interacting with the dog.
    Use this advice at your own risk.

We did this with Oslo when he was a pup and he just thought it was play time. Same effect with a slap to the snoot. Think are best results came from a few classes with Catie Canine out of Hugo. She set the ground work for us but even with that Oslo also needed to grow out of that puppy stage.

So in short maybe find a good trainer to work with. Then keep working with the dog.

Jimmy Jones

Sounds like the same experience I had 6 years ago.
    I’ve trained every dog I’ve owned until this one.
    I just could not stop the biting and chewing on my hands.

I ended up taking her to a trainer. Got her back 5 weeks later and couldn’t have been happier. Worth every nickel I spent.

And this dog is a jewel to be around.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What Atavar and Jon said also Mike suggested Catie Canine who is good.

When I have a biting puppy I will roll his lip onto his teeth and put a bit of pressure on it. At least enough to make him yip.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

He will be outside in the kennel now permanently until he learns he can’t bite. No more in the house

This will NOT work. This is only “avoidance of the issue”. Your dog will not associate learning “not to bite” to “being in or out of the kennel”. In fact it creates a whole other issue in the dog associating being in the kennel as punishment. His kennel should be a place he wants to go to. It should be his spot, his safe haven, not a prison cell.

Punishment for biting needs to be direct and immediate. He needs to know that biting in totally, unquestionably, not acceptable. IMHO a shock collar is not the method I would use in this situation. He needs to know that you or the person handling him at the immediate point in time are correcting him and not a device (collar).

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>
    He will be outside in the kennel now permanently until he learns he can’t bite. No more in the house

This will NOT work. This is only “avoidance of the issue”. Your dog will not associate learning “not to bite” to “being in or out of the kennel”. In fact it creates a whole other issue in the dog associating being in the kennel as punishment. His kennel should be a place he wants to go to. It should be his spot, his safe haven, not a prison cell.

Punishment for biting needs to be direct and immediate. He needs to know that biting in totally, unquestionably, not acceptable. IMHO a shock collar is not the method I would use in this situation. He needs to know that you or the person handling him at the immediate point in time are correcting him and not a device (collar).

Well stated.

If the puppy bites you have about a 5 second window to correct it or they are on to something completely different in their young mind and learning is not taking place.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

What Atavar and Jon said also Mike suggested Catie Canine who is good.

When I have a biting puppy I will roll his lip onto his teeth and put a bit of pressure on it. At least enough to make him yip.

x2 on the lip into the teeth. Shows them who is boss and also shows them how it feels.

Also x2 on the daily, if not multiple times a day, flipping the dog onto its back and holding it down until it stops resisting. Have your wife/kids do it as well if they are capable.

Stanley

To clarify him being in the kennel until the biting stops is to keep him out of the house during daycare hours to prevent an accidental biting of one of those kids. He will also be an outside kind of dog so he needs to get used to being in there during the day. It’s not a sit in there and think about what you did thing. My wife is also kind of a softy and I’m not sure she could do some of the things mentioned here or would want to do them in front of the daycare so having him outside helps her as well.

He has responded well to the shock collar. Like this morning he was barking at 5:30 let him out to go to the bathroom he would still bark. Put the collar on him (which he let me do just fine) barking stopped without shocking and has been fine so far the rest of today.

Last I reached out to a cousin of mine that has sled dogs and breeds them as well. He said with biting he puts his thumb down there throat which for him works well. He also said like mentioned it’s a dominance thing and they need to learn who the boss is. I also had a family discussion last night to get everyone on the same page when it comes to discipline where I mentioned the comments here and hopefully things work out well which I think it should.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good to hear some quick, early progress. That beep on the collar will probably be the only thing needed in short order. At least that has been my experience. waytogo

-J.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I also had a family discussion last night to get everyone on the same page when it comes to discipline…

This is also key. The FW can’t bring herself to physically discipline a dog. She also wonders why they only listen to me.

Stanley

Good to hear some quick, early progress. That beep on the collar will probably be the only thing needed in short order. At least that has been my experience. waytogo

-J.

I had a lab/spriger mix that was a great dog but liked to run and when you live in town I couldn’t let him do that. I used a shock collar to keep him from running which didn’t take long but if he didn’t have the collar on he would run. It got to the point I didn’t even turn it on just put it on him and he was fine. I tried not using it after a couple years but he knew if I didn’t put it on him he could run.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I know if my kids were in a day care house with a dog like that, they would be yanked immediately and contract would be void on the sitters end.
    As others said, punishment needs to be immediate otherwise they have no idea what they did wrong. And kenneling a dog as a punishment is not a way I was ever taught to do, the kennel needs to be the safe spot as Dave stated. When my shepherds were young I’d also push there lips in to there teeth and make them feel it. If your wife isn’t on the same page then the dog is going to have a hard time learning if she spends alot of time with the pup.

Stanley

I know if my kids were in a day care house with a dog like that, they would be yanked immediately and contract would be void on the sitters end.
    As others said, punishment needs to be immediate otherwise they have no idea what they did wrong. And kenneling a dog as a punishment is not a way I was ever taught to do, the kennel needs to be the safe spot as Dave stated. When my shepherds were young I’d also push there lips in to there teeth and make them feel it. If your wife isn’t on the same page then the dog is going to have a hard time learning if she spends alot of time with the pup.

Currently our choices are in the house inside the porter, outside kennel or get rid of the dog. The kennel is bigger than the porter and that’s where he will need to be kept until my son moves out and takes him with. Like you said about daycare, that’s the situation we are trying to avoid and he is not a viscous dog just a puppy that likes to bite and we are trying to fix that. My wife has talked to all the families since all of them own dogs and they are all understanding since they have gone through it with their dogs to some degree. If my sons plans stay true when he moves out next year after high school him and his girlfriend are going to rent from her parents and the dog will have 640 acres to run around on at the house with acres to thousands of more acres.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Lots of great advice here! I’m forever grateful my late husband trained our boys because I just don’t think I’d have the heart for it. He was the boss and he made sure the boys knew that through discipline. It was tough re-establishing pack hierarchy after he passed, but luckily the boys are older and mostly set in their good habits. Best advice I learned while watching him – if you give a command, make the dog follow through. It will take patience on your part, but if you let them ignore you sometimes, you quickly lose the dominance needed for control and obedience.

Riverrat

My neighbors have a golden retriever they got as a puppy. They yell and scream at it when it runs to my yard or wont listen. It nips at the kids’ heels. It really pissed them off when I met it the first time and in 15 minutes it was heeling and coming on command. It wanted someone to be in charge. Its a cute dog too so if they fail at having it I’m going to take it and train it for my sister. Dogs want a leader.

Stanley

Also to the comment about daycare. My wife had worked very hard to establish a good reputation. 5 of her current families are referrals from current or former families. She has had a family move and drive 50min one way for years to keep their kids with her. She also has families plan births of second or third kids around her opening to keep their kids there. And is currently full until 2025. I think she is doing something right and like I said earlier we won’t jeopardize her career or the safety of anyone. That’s why I am asking for help.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Had a Mastiff puppy that tried getting up on the couch. I’d keep a can full of penny’s on the coffee table and when she tried getting up on there I would shake that penny can and say no.
    Took about a day and she never tried again.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Also to the comment about daycare. My wife had worked very hard to establish a good reputation. 5 of her current families are referrals from current or former families. She has had a family move and drive 50min one way for years to keep their kids with her. She also has families plan births of second or third kids around her opening to keep their kids there. And is currently full until 2025. I think she is doing something right and like I said earlier we won’t jeopardize her career or the safety of anyone. That’s why I am asking for help.

I didn’t mean anything negative towards her business, hope you didn’t take it that way by any means. A biting dog is all I was talking about.

Riverrat

I used to have a little pitbull that would nip at people and other dogs that she thought needed correction. She wasnt a puppy but had decided she could correct actions herself. My rottie did not like that and let her know by sticking her whole head in his mouth. He put an end to the nipping in about a day. Do you have another dog to help with the training cuz it does work.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I used to have a little pitbull that would nip at people and other dogs that she thought needed correction. She wasnt a puppy but had decided she could correct actions herself. My rottie did not like that and let her know by sticking her whole head in his mouth. He put an end to the nipping in about a day. Do you have another dog to help with the training cuz it does work.

Not a better dog trainer than another well trained dog.

Stanley

We don’t have another dog and it’s been along time since I have had a puppy and my last dog was a very well behaved dog minus the running around the neighborhood like I said.

Bearcat no offense taken just trying to explain her daycare situation. She has had kids come from other daycares that got shut down due to mistreatment of the kids so we know not all daycares are good. It’s hard to explain everything on the internet to people that don’t know you. We are the type of people that like you and others have said that don’t like pet owners that can’t control their pets and we don’t want to be one of those owners or teach our son to be one of those owners.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Having a well trained dog definitely takes time, lots of time and then lots more time. If this is your sons dog I would be making him be with that dog and training it every free minute he has. In my opinion, kids don’t need there own pets when they don’t have plenty of free time for them. Jobs, girls, activities all get in the way .

Stanley

I held out as long as I could on getting a dog due to the work and time involved but yes this is his dog that he bought with his own money and is responsible for the dog. He is fully aware that if he doesn’t get the biting under control the dog will have to go. It took a few reminders from me about taking care of the dog but he has stepped up and has been working with him we just ran out of things to try with the bitting. He is in the process of trying to get him into a class and we are waiting to hear back from a trainer. He is a smart dog and has learned many things quickly so I hope with the right discipline we can get him to learn not to bite quickly also. I don’t know if it means anything but we regularly have geese fly over the house and no matter what the dog is doing or where he is(if outside and geese are honking) he stops and stares up at the geese or maybe it’s just the noise they are making? My some wanted a hunting dog so I think he will do good (his parents are good hunters) with the proper training.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Forgot about the can of pennies trick. I could of cracked Oslo with a 2×4 and he would of thought it was play time but he wanted nothing to do with the can of pennies. For awhile anyways. Found out the wife was showing him the can and threatening to shake it. That was the end of that trick.

jwellsy

Also the only way I could wear my lab out, was to take her out for a run while I rode my bicycle. I rigged up a spring loaded arm that extended out to the side from the bike frame. I tied the leash to that arm. Only problem was she could really throw out the anchor and stop when she needed to poop. By the time we would get back home she would be plum wore out and happy.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.