Help with Lake Insight Pro V15

• MOA Chaser

I bought a new Elite 7 CHIRP and the chip that was included seems to be worthless. I know someone who has v14, and they have lots of details of the lakes I fish. I have nothing but the Lowrance base maps… taking the card out gives me zero difference versus having the card in.

Technical support has not been very helpful. Apparently they have no access to any previous versions of the cards, so they can’t even tell me if my card should have details on it for these lakes. One of the tech agents said that they “lost” a cartographer, so it is entirely possible that the lake detail was removed (!??!?!) from v15 but they don’t know if that’s the case. Not much of an “upgrade” then… and if there IS a different cartographer for v16 for my lakes, I don’t know if there will be more, less, or the same detail unless I pay the $100 and take a chance since there is no online preview.

Does anyone have the v15 chip that can help me figure out what should be on there? I’m attaching a photo of what my friend’s screen looks like… this is Lake Arthur, Butler County PA. I basically get shoreline, and that’s it.

Even a name and a location of a lake that shows what v15 brings to the table vs base unit maps so I can use the cursor to view it on mine would really help. I need to know if my card is not working, or if it is working and just worthless for my use.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. 13978008_10207985174520507_1103489662_o.jpg

jetro
    Mayer, MN

You have to go into your menu and select the lowrance chip for the mapping data. It doesn’t just automatically read and display it.

MOA Chaser

Yes, I did that. I have two options: Lowrance and Navionics. Of course, I picked Lowrance.

I downloaded Insight Genesis maps to another SD card, and was able to view them. Just nothing on my v15 chip.

Matthew Sandys
    Inactive
    Grand Rapids, MN

Try navionics. Mine is backwards.

MOA Chaser

Nope. No matter which one I select, it only displays the base map of the unit.

The unit is running software version 4.0.5.1.13, by the way.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you pick Lowrance I believe it will show the pre-loaded maps. It should not be giving you a Navionics option if you don’t have a Navionics chip inserted. Do you have a Navionics card in there by mistake?

MOA Chaser

No.. I have Lake Insight v15. With no card in it at all, I still see the dropdown with Lowrance and Navionics.

I wish I had a Navionics map card at this point, haha!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Insight map chip loads automatically on my Elite 7 Chirp.

First thing I’d try is remove the chip, then go into the menu and reset the unit to factory defaults. Insert chip and restart unit. (Resetting the unit will not erase your saved waypoints or plot trails.)

-J.

MOA Chaser

I actually did that last night, but did the hard reset versus the soft reset (pressed the +/- buttons rather than the Pages button). Not worried about losing data, I’ve only had it a couple weeks anyways. Getting the data to show up (submerged railroad and road beds, etc) is 100x more valuable to me for these places than any waypoints I could save. (

MOA Chaser

Does anyone have v15, and the name/location of a lake that has a bunch of good stuff from the card? I can go to the lake and confirm against a known lake that my card is not in fact working when compared to another card of the same version…

CaptainMusky

From the pic you shared it doesn’t appear you are zoomed in very far. Have you tried zooming way in and still no detail? Some bodies of water with lots of detail do not show much when zoomed out because it cannot draw all the lines with the range being over a big area.

MOA Chaser

That is actually the detail I am looking for; that’s my buddy’s v14 with all the roadbeds, etc.

This is what shows up with my v15 map card in… or out. Doesn’t matter.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160810_181038.jpg

CaptainMusky

There is a setting for “map details” correct? I would make sure that you have that set to show more detail or were you showing pics from both chips in your unit? If it was a screenshot from his and one from your unit, I would check your setting to make sure you have chart detail or map detail set up high enough for those things to display.

MOA Chaser

I don’t have anything for “Map Details.” I can pick “Lowrance” or “Navionics” for source, and I can decide what info overlays I want. I don’t see any “Map Details” option anywhere on any of the menus.

CaptainMusky

Shoot, that must only be HDS units. After typing that I went and pulled up the manual from the Lowrance site and found I was leading you astray. I have no idea what it could be other then a bad chip or they removed that from that data.

MOA Chaser

I got some help from a higher-up from Lowrance this evening. He showed me screen caps of v14, v15, and v16. All of them have the data I need for my lakes. After describing all I’ve done to try to get any data to show up from the card, they are sending me a replacement. Great customer service!

MOA Chaser

I was sent a new chip, and all is well. My chip was faulty.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Your chip is not reading it the unit….. You should have an option for Lowrance V15 as an option as well as plain Lowrance as well as Navionics. This is the way it is on my HDS 1,2,3 units.

Put your chip in your buddies graph and see if it reads on his.

Edit: Sorry I just saw the last post saying it was a bad chip…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.