Help! Problem with my Lund

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

1990 mericruiser stern drive too much throw forward before it goes into gear reverse ok. Supposed to head to pool 11 soon, help please. Tight lines to those that can

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Might be tine to change the cable and or adjust the linkage.

Iowaboy1

did this happen gradually,or all at once??
    if it come on all at once,my first thought is that the shifter linkage inside the lower unit is broken and not pulling the gear all the way in.
    make sure all of the brackets are still bolted in place where the cable is routed to the back of the boat,and that the rocker if used is not cracked.

I have also seen where the center section has come loose and backed out of place,this allows a greater range of movement that the shifter cant overcome in forward gear,but is fine in reverse,and no,that one did not leak oil like you would think.

other wise like Denny O said,it could be out of adjustment,or need a cable replaced.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Happened all at once. Then didn’t do it next couple times, then again and again

Iowaboy1

in the center of the lower unit when you look up from underneath ( this would be on the front side ) you should be able to see your shifter arm,have someone put the shifter in forward,then neutral,then reverse,it should move an equal distance each time,if not,it is in the cable or shifter itself.

if it does move an equal distance,and it doesnt engage fully in forward,something is wrong in the lower unit,ie,bearing out allowing excess play,shift collar worn out,loose center section,etc.

Iowaboy1

dbrode,just saw that you are in mingo Ia,give big boys toys a call in newton,I work for him part time,if he doesnt answer the shop phone,pm me and I will give you his cell number.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Is that Rick Trease? Thanks so much for the info

Iowaboy1

yes,I worked for him last summer quite a bit,small shop but was fun working there.

I got to know him several years ago when he needed someone to rebuild carburetors for him when he got behind on several of them.
    send me a pm if I can be of further help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.