Help !!! Metro Crappies

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I would like to do some Crappie fishing this weekend. I normally can find and catch Sunfish well in the south Metro but, seem to struggle on Crappies. I’d like to find a good place with a early evening bite to set up and watch a few bobbers go down. If anyone cares to share any info. about a decent crappie bite I’d much appreciate it. Feel free to Private message me if you prefer.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Check out lake maps on http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#products/NavionicsPlus then once you find a lake you like look for about a 25-35′ hole. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html check here on the lake and see what kind of numbers it has in it. They are in their mid winter patterns so like I said look for that 25-35′ basin. They roam all over the basins and you just have to look for them. Usually I hop around and follow the schools but thats the best I can do for you!

crappieguy

Do what half the metro does and go camp out on Cedar in New Prague, but hurry! The lake will be fished out again come the end of ice season.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

metro craps… go where the shacks are and drop a line… they all will be 6-7 inches long and a lot of them. 20-30 FOW all suspended 10-15 ft off the bottom

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Cedar, Spring, Tonka, Waconia, Prior, O’dowds, etc, etc, etc.

Take your pic. Lots of crappies around. You already got some solid advice – Drill out the basins. I’d be looking away from the crowds if possible.

crappieguy

Cedar is/was our goto lake… we hit it early december this year and pulled out 10-11″ crappies! Biggest we’ve ever seen come out of there. Last year it literally got fished out.

From what I hear Cedar in Faribault is better. Pick any Faribault lake and you’ll find them.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

My buddy (lazy) wanted to get out on Cedar in NP to catch some crappies. I asked him what time he wants me to pick him up. He said “bout 9” I said see you at 6:30. We were fishing by 7 and had our first crappie at 7:01. Had our limit in a half hour. We stayed out there fishing for the walleyes we saw come thru on the camera. At times I couldn’t see past the schools of crappies. Other fisherman started showing up around 9 or so. It was fun to watch them sit around with nothing biting and say there’s no fish in here.

There’s gotta be a moral of the story somewhere in there. Just sayin. smirk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.