Help me spend $25,000

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

So I got the green light to spend $25k on something that will get me a little more mobile on the ice this winter. Thinking of sleds and a trailer but sure could use some advice from the peanut gallery.

How would you divide $25k for ice fishing on-ice transportation?

So far I am thinking of 2 new or almost new moderatly powered sleds with long tracks, fan cooled, studs, reverse and scratchers. Plop those on top of a 4 up clam shell trailer.

Then my head hurts when I think of the multiuser of wheelers.

Pitch me brands or random thoughts as to how you’ld do this. My primary targets are the usual winter locations…LOTW, Upper Red, Mille Lacs, Leech, Devils Lake, etc.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This peanut says bank the cash and find a buddy with a wheel house and pay his expenses to take you with. grin

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would spend it on a long vacation south. Maybe boat and trailer near the gulf.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

POLARIS RANGER CREW XP 900-6 EPS

Haul yourself, your gear, your buddies, their gear etc… all comfortably, with one machine. The room in these is amazing. Can rig a 9″ Lowrance touch screen GPS with lake map chip on a Ram mount on the dash…25K can get you this & a trailer to haul it on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s a lot of Spam brother!!

Attachments:
    1. 63901_2924858498259_2023432239_n.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Are there dealers that can help you? I’d drop a $K no problem to a dealer who could take care of everything.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I would go with a ATV/UTV and add tracks for winter use. Then you have a year round machine withe a lot of $ left over for whatever else you can think of

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

POLARIS RANGER CREW XP 900-6 EPS
    Haul yourself, your gear, your buddies, their gear etc… all comfortably, with one machine. The room in these is amazing. Can rig a 9″ Lowrance touch screen GPS with lake map chip on a Ram mount on the dash…25K can get you this & a trailer to haul it on.

I thought of this, but then I thought that my 4×4 truck already comes close to serving in this capacity. The Ranger just seems to not offer quite as much new snow/ice possibilities as a sled might. But I will still keep this in mind.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’d go with the Polaris wide tracks and monster boxes. Add in an enclosed trailer for towing that keeps the road salt off your sleds and is large enough to fit an Otter Lodge/Resort behind the sleds.

Then with whatever you have left over pick up a set of these as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpKjEa4LYY

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Realistically, JD, in your past experience on the lakes you intend to frequent, how much have you been hindered by deep snow? How often has it stopped you from getting where you want to go, made it too much work, etc? I’m just asking, is there a real problem here that needs solving, or are there a bunch of solutions in search of a problem?

If you have a 4×4 truck AND chains, and you’ve still been stopped by snow, then a UTV (tracked or not) or ATV, is probably not going get you where you want to go. Wheels are wheels. Only a snow machine is going to go through deep snow reliably and efficiently, but obviously they are one trick ponies.

To me, this whole thing comes down to how much deep snow are you trying to go through on a regular basis.

BTW, with the El Nino forecast pointing toward a warmer than average and drier than average winter, IMO this is would be a “wait and see” year as far as pulling the trigger on a fleet of new snow machines. Just my opinion, but it’d kill me to drop coin on two brand spankin’ new machines and no snow to use them on and then get to stare at them all summer in 2016 as well.

Grouse

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Realistically, JD, in your past experience on the lakes you intend to frequent, how much have you been hindered by deep snow?

Only a couple of times. But I should clarify that I am not so much wanting solutions to deep snow as I am looking for solutions to staying nimble and portable. A distant secondary reason is a solution that will get me on thinner ice without having to walk a mile to an early season spot. Waiting for a solid 14 inches for the truck can be a drag sometimes.

But I hear you Grouse, good advice in them there comments. Thanks.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

UTV with Tracks, covers any possible snow issues, and I would think it has some of the best weight distribution percentages. You aren’t a petite young lady like Debbie! ;-)

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I’d go with the Polaris wide tracks and monster boxes. Add in an enclosed trailer for towing that keeps the road salt off your sleds and is large enough to fit an Otter Lodge/Resort behind the sleds.

Will, are you thinking of the Fan cooled or liquid?

UTV with Tracks, covers any possible snow issues, and I would think it has some of the best weight distribution percentages. You aren’t a petite young lady like Debbie!

lol! You know me too well BigWerm. I’m actually doubting my fat butt could even FIT in a UTV once I get all my Michelan man winter clothes on. That’s what makes sleds such a nice option…low to the ground, easy on and off, and a great chair while fishing.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

For ice fishing purposes fan cooled are the way to go waytogo

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Then with whatever you have left over pick up a set of these as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpKjEa4LYY

$26K for the track system, ouch you need to get some more $$$$.

I would go with an ATV with tracks or a much cheaper alternative that will also make the ATV float.

http://www.j-wheelz.com/index.html

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

churchill
    Take Churchill’s advice, don’t waste money on frivolous things. Keep priorities man!! toast toast

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Double your budget and get a SnoBear. laugh

Plan B would be a ranger with tracks!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

You had a 4 wheeler with tracks didnt you? how did you like that??

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

You had a 4 wheeler with tracks didnt you? how did you like that??

I liked it! But only had it out a few times. I bought that late in the season last year and sold it in the spring to help fund the Skeeter I bought.

I do think I am moving toward the multi usefulness of the Ranger Crew with tracks. Anyone know of a good Polaris dealer in the cities that has remarkable service along with good pricing?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

@nhamm In my case it would be “I spend 90% of my disposable income on fishing/hunting gear… The rest of it I waste on things like food and clothing.”

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’ve heard mixed reviews on tracks and if you do get them stuck it’s not pleasant getting it out.
    I’d call Dave and see if he knows of any other hovercraft for sale.
    And nhamm…that jolly gent is W.C. Fields devil

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Well, if you cut me a check for 25k you will be more mobile as you will be that much lighter in the wallet :).

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

And nhamm…that jolly gent is W.C. Fields

doah doah doah
    Googled up some of his quotes quick, he was a wise wise man. waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can’t believe I haven’t thought of this already, but this is BY FAR the best deal you will get JD! You give me 25 grand, for the next 5 years I will setup everything for you on whatever body of water you want, and provide warm transport on all lakes. You get everything setup, warm, and waiting. No need for the Michelin Man getup! I get an excuse for the new wife to make more trips to all those lakes. Heck I’ll even throw in my witty charm, as a free option! Buy now, while it’s still available! toast toast

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Can’t believe I haven’t thought of this already, but this is BY FAR the best deal you will get JD! You give me 25 grand, for the next 5 years I will setup everything for you on whatever body of water you want, and provide warm transport on all lakes. You get everything setup, warm, and waiting. No need for the Michelin Man getup! I get an excuse for the new wife to make more trips to all those lakes. Heck I’ll even throw in my witty charm, as a free option! Buy now, while it’s still available!

Lol! Toss in a little boxed wine, beanie wienies and a reach around and I’ll give it some serious consideration!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I figured the first two were assumed, the third is going to take some additional negotiation…. blush

Tonka
    Minnesota

Are you buying 2 of each if you go with sleds/wheelers? Otherwise you could have one of each. 2 winters ago the only thing out on the lake was a sled, unless the truck had a plow, and to their credit, especially a fan cooled sled, can be ran in warmer weather with little to no snow with either a wide track sled, or some studs…also don’t forget to keep the carbides fresh. Ill admit that sleds don’t shine when there’s no snow, but I have a 03 F5 Arctic Cat and I make it work when we don’t have snow, a set of cleats to get your rollin, or a buddy to pull on the ski, and off you go. With that said, if I had the money I’d get that Ranger with a cab and tracks. Good luck with an awesome yet hard decision!

Tonka
    Minnesota

I forgot to mention that my sled doesn’t have studs

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

UTV with Tracks, covers any possible snow issues, and I would think it has some of the best weight distribution percentages. You aren’t a petite young lady like Debbie! ;-)

where has Debbie been!! did she run off with Gabe? im missing her…er…interesting posts

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.