Help me pick a guide northern Wisconsin

• Amos
    Perry, Michigan

A friend(s) and I are interested in fishing northern Wisconsin for a few days, and would like to get a guide the first day. We likely would not be up there till mid to late January. The guides I have researched are Rob Manthei, John Andrews, Jeff VanRemortel, Brett Jolly, Jason Pertile, and Ty Sennett. Does anyone have any experience with these guides? From a previous thread, Rob Manthei was recommended, but I was also wondering about the others. If you would rather email me, email is [email protected].

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Have heard good things about John Andrews for boat fishing. Never heard much about his ice fishing guiding.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I know I risk being kicked off this site but I will say it anyway,lake-link.Check out vilas county fishing reports most of those guys put reports on there.Andrews is on there daily he seems to do well through the ice also.He posts a lot of pictures so does VanRemortal.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I have heard good things about Josh Teigen.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

So far, so good. I think my buddy is going to check with John Andrews. Phil, I think Josh might be another to consider. I just sent him an email.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Can’t really go wrong with any of them!!!

Copied from above: Rob Manthei, John Andrews, Jeff VanRemortel, Brett Jolly, Jason Pertile, Josh Teigen and Ty Sennett…

1st difference > Ty Sennett and Josh Teigen are going to fishing the Hayward area… Ty mostly on the Chippewa Flowage, Josh fishes further north, mostly north of the Hwy 2 corridor, including Chequamegon Bay and the Apostle Islands

The rest fish the Vilas, Oneida county areas and Jolly can add areas further south and Green Bay…

Rob, Jeff and Josh all donated trips for me in our fundraising banquet for the Wisconsin Interscholastic Fishing Association because I asked them, not the others. The others are on my hit list for down the road. This reason doesn’t make them the best choice.

Jason Pertile fishes mostly the eartern side of Vilas and Oneida counties and not sure he does any ice fishing trips…

I probably mentioned Rob as I bartend at his resort restaurant and while I might be biased toward him JVR and Jolly are regular frequenters of Rob’s Fibber’s Bar and Restaurant.

Rob, Josh and Jolly are all guides for Gillespie also… I think I can say that all are pretty good multi-species guys also.

Specific questions otherwise I could try to follow up on…

Mark

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Adam Rasmussen is a In Depth Pro staffer and guides northern WI. For whitefish Paul Delaney (lateeyessportfishing.com) is a pro staffer as well I have fished with him for small mouth and he is excellent. I think for Adam you go to rasmussenoutdoors.com

Not to root for the home team these are just guys I have little experience with.

Good luck most guides I think if you do a little research and you get good reviews your safe with.

Chad
    Southwest Wisconsin

If you are looking into vilas county I would would recommend Rob manthie or Jeff van remortel, both great guys and know there stuff on most lakes in that area. I have a place in vilas and there is a ton of good water to fish.

jake47
    WI

I fished with John Andrews a few years back and was quite disappointed with the experience. We asked to target large panfish through the ice and he agreed to that a few weeks before the trip. Night before the trip he calls to say the lake he lives on was on fire. So we headed there with high expectations. We proceeded to catch hundreds of small to medium panfish. Every time we caught one that was 7″+, he said “see there are some really nice ones in here”. It was like he was trying to up sell us on the smaller fish. The experience left us all with a sour taste in our mouth, especially how the trip ended.

I am not bashing him, but if you choose him, make sure you are extremely clear to him what your expectations are so you aren’t disappointed like we were.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.