HELP????

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ok, this is bugging the heck out of me, and I need to know what the heck is going on. Am I the only one that has coffee filters failing. Seems like it doesn’t matter what brand I buy. The first 30 or so work fine. Then the dam things plug up and barely trickle through. I need to babysit the coffee pot so it doesn’t over-flow the grounds/filter. Never had the issue before. I ripped the dang auto-stop out for the pause n serve. Drilled the hole to about 1″. About 5 cups of water filters through the grounds and then plugs up.
    Has anyone heard of filters going bad????

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I wonder if the weight of the filters affects those on the bottom and squishes them denser?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Drink less coffee? smirk

Are you sure there is not two filters stuck together? That will really slow down the flow rate.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Could it be hard water deposits or coffee grounds plugging some of the tubing. Have you tried some of the “CLR” type flushes? It may need a good cleaning.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Never had them fail unless I fill them to full with coffee to start. You should be able to find a metal screened coffee filter to fit most standard coffee makers. Even these can overflow if to much coffee is added though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dump the filters and splurge for a Keurig.

Excellent cup every time, better then any gas station coffee. Yeah, more expensive then home brew but much less expensive then Starbucks.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

On a typical day I drink 10 to 16 cups (6 ounces) of coffee. I can’t afford a Keurig at that level of caffeine intake. lol

Go french press – no more filters needed.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Never had them fail unless I fill them to full with coffee to start. You should be able to find a metal screened coffee filter to fit most standard coffee makers. Even these can overflow if to much coffee is added though.

I run 2 batches of 12 cups of coffee thru my filters! I am a tight azz! devil and never have a problem with leakage.

our coffee maker of choice is a Cuisinart!!!!!!!

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I use a permanent style mesh filter. Try one and you won’t regret it.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Mine seems to do it more when my filters go flat and they don’t shape well to the maker. run a couple pots with no grounds it should flush a bunch of grounds out of the line.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s not the tube passing water up from the heating element, that almost works too good. Kueng is a pain for 1 cup at a time. I’ll look into the metal mesh. Just hate having the filter over flow and grounds all over

Kyhl
    Savage

How is the coffee ground? Is it pre ground coffee? Burr grinder, blade grinder?

I have a burr grinder that is able to do a fine enough grind that will plug any filter.
    If using a blade grinder I wonder if it is occasionally releasing more fine grounds which are able to randomly plug the filters.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I use a permanent style mesh filter. Try one and you won’t regret it.

How do you clean these?

We have a keurig now, but I refuse to buy the little plastic cups. We have the bigger plastic/stainless steel reusable cup….but they are a PITA to clean every morning. Same routine every morning, dump ground out in the trash, wipe clean with paper towel, then rinse (repeat if the wife is drinking coffee). I don’t want coffee ground going into the septic…so I get it pretty clean before rinse. I need to find mini filters for these things.

Miss my old coffee pot.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Never in the coffee machine, but they have a knack for failing on the way to the garbage. The failure time seems proportional to the distance I am carrying it. Long trips it will fail right before the garbage. If I put the can next to the pot, it fails as I am removing it.

coffee – Damn Filter

munchy
    NULL

Never in the coffee machine, but they have a knack for failing on the way to the garbage. The failure time seems proportional to the distance I am carrying it. Long trips it will fail right before the garbage. If I put the can next to the pot, it fails as I am removing it.

coffee – Damn Filter

Keep the filter in the filter cup and use the filter cup to dump into garbage, no more mess.

Randy, you may want to try a different coffee maker with those same filters. My guess is it is the coffee maker causing the problem. Either pumping water too fast, a slightly clogged spout, or a seal that is going bad on the lid of the filter cup.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Ditch the machine and get a stove top perculator.
    Better coffee as a benefit.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

even an electric perkulator is better!!!!!!!

best coffee is mixing an egg with your coffee grounds in a stove top coffee pot!!!!! peace waytogo

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

best coffee is mixing an egg with your coffee grounds in a stove top coffee pot!!!!!

I heard of this a while back so I asked my father-in-law about it. He is Norwegian and said he preferred his coffee without the egg. lol

Norwegian Egg Coffee

So far I haven’t felt like trying it out.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I clean my mesh style filter with soup and water. Or you can just rinse with water. Obviously I dump the grounds out first.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.