Helix ice….settings

• jeff henry

Hey guys. Just picked up a helix 7 gps/sonar unit. Converting it to an ice unit. Will be using the X1 9 20 ice ducer. Looking for some recommended settings for this unit on the ice. I will mostly be using the 2d sonar mode rather then flasher mode. I have read some guys say to turn ice fishing mode off and some say run it in ice mode? Any advice would be great as these units are fairly new on hard water

Jason

yes I would also like to know how these things run on ice. I was looking for a backup and was concidering the 5 or 7.

Whateverbites

I run the 597, a little older unit but should be the same

Use 2d sonar, its the best when you learn it. Thier flasher is worthless imo

Ice mode on or off didn’t make much difference to me

Push the power button once to be able to adjust brightness, i also make the background black

Sensitivity, start atound 6

Lower range, set this to deepest water you plan on fishing, auto jumps around too much

Chart speed, max

Play with the rts window. I do wide, because i like how it shows returns

Make all screens you won’t use not visable

Let me know if i missed anything

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

^^ I’ll echo what he said, also ran the 597. My new unit although has a split zoom feature that is fantastic and blows a 597 out the water. Hope the helix has that feature bc if it does utilize it!

Madd Medic

Thanks for the info. Was at my wits end trying to get my Helix 5 to work for ice fishing. Hummingbird support was some help. But this info, found while sitting in my portable today, saved the day.

Jason Beaudoin

Hey you were quite helpful…any more tips for fishing deeper waters like 50 to 70..i kinda got it at 50 but as soon as i got to 60 plus ft i run into some issues. drives me insane when fishing for lakers

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

why are you running the XI 9 20? If the unit is new and has CHIRP, you’re waaay better off getting the XI 9 1521 CHIRP transducer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.